Search

fireworks in NY on 4th of July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:37 AM
SR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fireworks in NY on 4th of July

We will be arriving to NY in the morning on July 4. We want to see the fireworks that evening. Does anyone have any suggestions for best place to view them, how to get there, and how much time to allow. We will be staying at the Parker Meridien with no car. I read somewhere the best place was the FDR Drive at 34th Street (????) Also, what all goes on that day in NY that we wouldn't want to miss?
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:26 AM
ice

We will also be visiting from Ireland on 4th July and would welcome any advice
Thanks Ice
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM

The 4th here is alot of fun. There is a street fair on Water St. that goes from the Staten Island Ferry to the South St. Seaport, lots of fun and lots of food.

There are also usually some music in Battery Park, concerts all during the day.

That night the best viewing spot is just south of 23rd St. and the East River, so you can see all three barges. There is a radio broadcast that goes along with the fireworks so get a small radio to bring with you.

There is a good Chinese restaurant right on the corner of 23rd and 1st Ave and we usually stop there for food right after the fireworks, why don't you come and have some food with us? It would be so much fun to meet other Fodorites especially from different parts of the world.

Let me know.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM

I hope the 4th is more pleasant than last year. We spent the week in NYC and it was like living on the Sun. I have NEVER been so hot in my life, and I grew up in New Orleans! We also visited NYC two times this spring and it rained every d***ed day! But I love NY!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:36 PM

The best place for the general public to view is up on the FDR somewhere between 34th and 23rd. Most people arrive early and make an afternoon and evening of the event. My favorite spot for viewing (not the best visibility) is at the corner of second ave and 36th street. The people are the friendliest and are mostly neighborhood residents. It's also an easy in 15 minutes before they start and you are long gone before the throngs of people are off the Drive. The best spot we've ever been to see the festivities is a toss up between an apartment on a high floor in Waterside, an apartment on a high floor in Rivergate, and the roof of the cafeteria at NYU Medical center (old ID badges come in handy).

It is a great display, but I can't honestly say I would spend all day baking on the FDR to see it. That is why I like the 2nd ave /36th st spot.

You can actually see some portions of the fireworks if you stand on the corners of the blocks 34-38 on Lexington Ave (you are up on a slight hill there and can see over to the east river). It's actually pretty cool there because you can hear the massive reverberations(sp?) off all the skyscrapers there.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:00 AM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Since we will be staying at the Parker Meridien, are there usually any 4th of July celebrations in Central Park during the day?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:08 AM

There will be all kinds of things going on July 4th. Pick up a Time Out NY at a local newstand the week before and it can give you a run down of what's happening in the city that day.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:02 PM

I believe that the FDR is no longer closed for the 4th, after 9/11 there were some security concerns, so my best suggestion is still just below 23rd St.

Have a great time.

Anyone up for Chinese food after the fireworks?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Here's a bit of NY lore for those interested, as you may recall Macy's used to alternate the fireworks every few years from the East River to the Hudson.

They haven't done this since the early 1990's because the Judge who signed their exit order when Macy's left bankruptcy slipped in a clause requiring the fireworks to remain over the East River. This of course had NOTHING to do with the fact that his apartment overlooked the East River.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:25 PM

Ryan: too funny, I was wondering why they stopped alternating it. It was great when we lived in Murray Hill, but it's a pain now that we live in Chelsea. Gees, are ALL judges in NYC corrupt or what?!

wantsomesun: The drive is still closed, but the hours are much more restricted now. They used to close it down starting in the early afternoon, but all the websites I have been reading say it will be closed to vehicular traffic starting at 7pm. Gees, this terror business is really changing some old-time NY traditions. What's next, no more spectators for blowing up the balloons or will we be strip searched to watch the elephants come through the tunnel?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:56 AM

I thought the fireworks were on the Hudson a couple of years ago, weren't they?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:20 AM

The fireworks on the Hudson were part of the Parade of Tall Ships. It wasn't the official Macy's fireworks display, that is always over the East River.