Fine/excellent dining in Wilmington, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Wilmington, NC but have not lived there since the mid 80's.

We go back every year for the Azalea Fest. and stay with friends, but they have small kids and don't go out to eat much beyond fast food.

They are going to have a babysitter, and we would like to take our friends out to a nice restaurant for a leisurely dinner.

I know things have changed a LOT since I lived there, and the old standbys have given way to a plethora of new places.

Can someone recommend a nice place with amazing food for us to go for dinner? I hope I can get reservations at this late a date since I am sure all of the good places will be very busy for AF next weekend.

ANY kind of cuisine is fine, but they are Italian, and so it BETTER be good if that's the recommendation. An extensive wine list would be a big plus.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:39 AM

I don't know Wilmington, NC at all, but Trip Advisor is usually pretty good with restaurant recommendations (ratings and reviews). We'll be heading up that way next week (on our way to Maryland)-- I hope the festival crowds will have thinned out by mid-week-- but that the blossoms will be in their glory. I need to decide where to stay as well as where to eat. I've been checking Trip Advisor. Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:48 AM

Jerry's on Wrightsville Avenue and The PortLand Grill at Lumina Station are two of my favorites.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Enjoy your visit poss. Be sure to check out Greenfield Gardens or Orton Plantation for the azaleas.

cmcfong, have you heard anything (good or bad) about Deluxe? It looks along the lines of what I was searching for (as do both of the places you suggested - thanks.)

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:14 AM

Elijah's, which is on the Cape Fear River waterfront, and Grouper Nancy's have a good reputation. I'm not sure whether it is a deserved reputation as I've only eaten one lunch at the former and never eaten at the latter.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:05 AM

Sorry, I am not familiar with Deluxe. I have been to PortLand Grille several times and it is very hard to beat. There is a new bistro/French place at Lumina Station which had good food, but the noise level was unbearable.
I like Elijah's fine. I am not familiar with Grouper Nancy's.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM

I've been to Deluxe a couple times and really enjoyed it both times. Good food, great atmosphere (love the old brick walls) and a nice wine list. It has been a year or so since I've been there, so hopefully someone else has been more recently.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Just to report back, we did choose the Portland Grill.

Our friends were most excited, as with two young girls, they rarely get to eat out at any restaurants that don't have cartoon characters on the front of the menu.

Thanks cmcfong for your recommendation.

The food was absolutely to die for, and the wine selection was quite extensive. The portions of both the appetizers and the entrees were very generous.

My husband and I both had the ahi tuna appetizer - which we could have happily ordered as an entree.

I had the tilefish - a local white fish that was just delicious. My husband had the salmon - which he enjoyed very much as well. Our friends got beef and tuna for their entrees, and loved what they got as well.

Overall, a delightful dining experience.

The Azalea Festival was its usual amazing and excessive self. After having been away since I left for school in the mid 80's, I've decided there is something in the water there.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 04:48 AM

I am so delighted to hear your report, Diana. I love PortLand Grille. I have never been disappointed. I am so glad your visit was a good one. It is a beautiful place, isn't it?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

ttt for this year's trip.

Any changes or additional places to consider?

Thanks!