Finally, first time in New York City. Advice?

Aug 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Finally, first time in New York City. Advice?

Although I moved to the US from the UK all the way back in 1975, somehow I've never spent any real time in New York City - I just change planes there on the way to Europe or Asia. I've decided it's more than time to actually visit, so on my next trip I'm spending three nights in the city on the way out (Sep 10-13) and three on the way back (Nov 12-15).

In November a friend will fly up to meet me. She has a step-daughter at Columbia, so we'll stay in that area and hit the museums. But I'll be on my own in September. I'm hoping the weather will be good and I can do outdoor things - the Brooklyn Bridge, the Staten Island ferry, Battery Park, wandering around Chelsea and Greenwich Village. As usual, I'll be on a budget, but I've found a possible cheap hotel in West Village - the Jane.

Although I have a pile of guidebooks, which all seem to be agreed on the top ten list (some of which I'll be ignoring) I thought I'd ask for some Fodorite input. (Note, I prefer arts and crafts to fine art, and I'm not interested in bars and clubs.)

- Your personal "mustn't miss it" site NOT on the usual top ten list?
- Great places to eat Indian (Usually I get my Indian fix in London, but I won't be there this trip)
- Great places to eat Thai
- Any good current theater likely to be on the TKTS list? (Not musicals)
- Favorite non-Starbucks coffee place?
- Any Art Nouveau buildings or exhibitions?

Thanks!
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Indian food and the following are all mostly budget priced
Saravanaas
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...as_bhavan.html
Haveli- a bit more expensive
Banjara

There are approzimtely 15 Indian restaurants on East 6th Street Bewteen First and Second Avenue-our favorite-Mitali
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...tali_east.html

The following will iinclude Art Noveau, Beuax Arts, and Art Deco

There are approximately 250 cast iton buildings in Soho
Ceiling at Grand Central-where else can you stars during the day
Native American Musuem Rockwell allegories
Chrysler Building-Art Deco
Municipal Building by the Brooklyn Bridge)

The two most beautiful designs are Central Park and teh Brooklyn Bridge

Go your library and get the AIA Guide to NYC. It is a tome filled with with every significant structure in NYC.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM

That, of course, should be cast iron buildings in Soho.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Aduchamp1 - I couldn't tell from the guidebooks whether the cast iron buildings were Art Nouveau or not. And I hadn't heard about the AIA guide.

Mitali! Yes! They have my favorite chicken dansak curry, which I just can't get in NC. For some reason we have better south Indian than north Indian restaurants here.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
yk

Hi thursdaysd,

I may have mentioned these to you before (in different threads), but here they are again:

1) Neue Galerie - Viennese Jugendstil
2) Chagall Peace window at the UN
3) Guided Walking tour of Central Park (organized by the Central Park Conservancy)
4) Tenement Museum
5) Chagall Murals @ Lincoln Center

Regarding exhibitions, I was browsing some websites, and noticed this upcoming show at the NEWARK Museum, titled 100 Masterpieces of Art Pottery, 1880-1930
http://www.newarkmuseum.org/UpcomingExhibitions.html

The description sounds really interesting - at least enough to entice me to pay a visit!

There's Monet's Waterlillies @ MOMA. http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/963

And another one, also at MOMA, is pretty much 180 degrees from Arts and Crafts - a Bauhaus show. http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/303
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM
yk

thursdaysd, a few more things I forgot:

6) Frick Collection
7) Morgan Library & Museum

And, looking at Neue Galerie's website, an upcoming exhibition is titled
From Klimt To Klee: Masterworks From The Serge Sabarsky Collction
October 15, 2009-February 22, 2010

Don't forget to have a piece of cake and a cup of Melange at the Sabarsky Cafe.

All these shows look so great that I really should plan a trip to NYC!
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yk!! Wonder if it's safe to leave Central Park to November when I'll be staying nearby. I have a feeling it might be a bit bleak then.

"I really should plan a trip to NYC!" Hey - maybe we should have a NYC mini-GTG? Sep 11 or 12?
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM
yk

Unfortunately, we have guests visiting us that Sept weekend. I hope you will post a NYC report after your trip, then I can decide if those shows are really worth making a trip for!

I took the Central Park tour back in mid-March. I didn't find it bleak at all. Trees were still bare and everything was still brown, but it was a nice, sunny (though cold) day and I enjoyed it.

Even if you don't take a tour, do stop by the Bethesda Terrace Arcade and look up at the restored ceiling - made up of 15,000+ beautifully painted Minton tiles. Here's a photo I took:
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...9/IMG_3086.jpg
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM
yk

It's me again, thursdaysd.

Here are a couple of websites suggested by other Fodorites when I was planning my trip to NYC.

This one is the Municipal Art Society, which organizes various walking tours:
http://mas.org/tours/

This one is about NYC architecture: http://www.nyc-architecture.com/

You can search by style of architecture. This page shows a couple of Art Nouveau buildings:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/STYL...ArtNouveau.htm
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yk. That photo of the ceiling is just great. Pity you can't make it to NYC that w/end - have a good time.

Looks like MAS doesn't have their Sep. schedule set yet. Sad that I'll miss their Wednesday Grand Central tour.
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
yk

If you are interested in seeing the Chagall Murals at Lincoln Center, I believe you cannot view them except at night.

I've walked past Lincoln Center during the day, and the murals are covered to shelter them from sunlight. (NY'ers, correct me if I'm wrong)
Aug 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM

There is a strong Bangladeshi influence in many of the New York Indian retaurants.

Soho, as you probably know has nothing to do with London and eveything to do with real estate people trying to make the neighborhood more expensive. In NY Soho stands for SOuth of HOuston (pronounced HOW-steen.)

One street you should put on your itinerary is Washington Mews. It is one block north of Washington Square Park off Fifth Avenue. It is a series of old carriage houses on a cobblestone Street. Most of the street is now owned by NYU.

What I do with a book like the AIA guide is I xerox specific pages and carry them around instead of ripping pages from the book or carrying the heavy book all day.
Aug 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

"There is a strong Bangladeshi influence in many of the New York Indian restaurants." - I may wind up acting like I'm in London and eating Pret a Manger sandwiches for lunch and Indian for dinner!
Aug 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM

I may wind up acting like I'm in London and eating Pret a Manger sandwiches for lunch and Indian for dinner!

I know it is a joke, but please try the incredible variety of ethnic foods we have and we have very few Pret a Mangers any way.
Aug 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM

If you have the time and want to see an interesting Indian neighborhood, with a lot of places to eat, take the Path train from Manhattan (32st (or 23rd or 14th) and 6th ave) to Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ. It's about a 25 min ride. You can also catch the Path from the WTC, in which case it's about a 15 min ride. When you get off at Journal Square walk over to Newark Ave (or ask someone for the Indian neighborhood). There you'll find everything from Indian buffets, dosa shops or nice sitdown. (If you walk a few blocks east from there, you'll find yourself in the Philippine neighborhood with some of their restaurants.)
Aug 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Assume you are already planning on hitting the Met? It really is a world class museum and worth a visit.

But for off the beaten path stuff, I will second the Tenement Museum suggestion. Great history and feel and drops you in the Lower East Side which usually doesn't end up on the travel itinerary.

I'll also second Banjara for Indian. (Can't think of a favorite Thai that isn't just a neighborhood place).

Just a note about the Newark Museum -- it's in NJ and though easy to get to, I wasn't sure if you wanted to hit another city on your limited visit.
Aug 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Hi Thursday -

If you haven't already booked your hotel room, I recommend the Comfort Inn Midtown on W. 46th. Breakfast is included, and it's very close to the half price Broadway ticket booth. Make sure to have a drink at The Rainbow Room because you'll get a great view of the city.
Aug 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

JES - definitely the Met - especially the Cloisters - I want to see the unicorn tapestry. But probably not MOMA, I've pretty much given up on ever appreciating modern art. I think I'll do the Tenement Museum on the way up, but I'm mostly saving museums for November.

Aduchamp - well, actually, I wasn't entirely joking. I am very fond of both Pret and good northern Indian, and I don't get them in NC. When you say ethnic, what do you have in mind? I just visited Morocco, and I'm headed to the Middle East, so I don't want to eat that (and I have a great ME place at home, along with an Afghan, an Ethiopian and a fair amount of Mexican). I've recently been to Portugal, France, Italy and Austria, so I'm not looking for those either, and I'm not into heavy Middle European cuisine. Spanish tapas, maybe? African?

Governator - thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Aug 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM

It took me a long time to get to New York too. We arrived late on California time, and took a 3-4 am stroll and had an unforgettable view of the ornate architecture, and the grandeur of the city at a rare quiet hour.

I love the theater district, and I think it is really fun to see as many plays as possible. Then, after the play is over I like watching all the other plays that let out with the swarms of people and limousenes. You can see people waiting by stage doors, and even if you haven't seen the play, you can wait for an autograph. (I did that just once with Ben Vereen.)

Although I've been to plenty of tv tapings, seeing the David Letterman show was a highlight. The guy warming up the audience said "if you think something is the slightest bit funny, laugh like you think it's the funniest thing you even heard" and then we all practiced. I was on a waiting list, and they called me on my cell phone, and I had to answer a question, which was "Dr. Phil". I think the show likes having "first timers" to NY in the audience, so that can give you an edge. http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/tickets/

Someone on Fodor's recommended jazz Dizzy's Club Coca Cola. http://www.jazzatlincolncenter.org/dccc/index09.asp What a view overlooking Central Park, and we saw Tony Bennett in the audience, too.
Aug 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Go to broadwaybox.com for discounted theatre tickets. The line at the TKTS booth can be long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO