Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Finally completed lodging plans for upcoming San Francisco trip - please critique

Search

Finally completed lodging plans for upcoming San Francisco trip - please critique

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have posted often lately and you all have been so gracious in helping me plan. I've finally sealed down all the lodging and just need your help to fill in a few blanks. Here is my plan:

5/2/08 - Arrive SFO around 10:30 p.m. My friend arrives an hour early and will pick up the rental (fox rental cars) and head to the hotel. That night I booked the Hyatt by the aiport on priceline for $77.00.

5/3/08 - Head over to the city and drop off our car (free parking) at our hotel for on night on Lombard St. Redwood Inn. Head over to the Ferry Building for the Farmer's Market (not sue how far or what mode of tranportation to use to get from the hotel to the Ferry building). After the market am debating on a tour of the city maybe??? Not sure...

5/4/08 - Check out and be on the road by 9 or so to do Stu's fabulous North of the city drive on our way to Healdsburg. Arrive at the Madrona Manor, our home for the next two nights. Visit some wineries this afternoon (not sure how many we can fit in) and a have a fabulous dinner somewhere.

5/5/08 - Visit more wineries. Would like to do a picnic lunch on the grounds of a winery (any reccomendations on the best winery to do this at?).

5/6/08 - check out of the Madrona Manor and head over to Napa. On our way down visit some wineries in the Napa region then head over to our hotel for one night, River Terrace Inn.

5/7/08 - Check out very early and meet with Bonaventure Balloon Ride company for our morning ride. Then head over to Meadowwoods for a lovely breakfast. After breakfast head back to SFO to return the car ( I could not find an area in the city for fox rentals to return the car and they had an incredible low rate for a convertable). Take public transportation back to the city to our hotel for the next three nights Villa Florence in Union Square.

5/8/09 - Full day in the city - have not yet itinerized this day. This is the day my friend leaves (her flight is at 11:30 p.m. so really we have the whole day together). Would like to have a wonderful farewell dinner this night and am considering Gary Danko maybe? Any other suggestions?

5/9/08 - Full day in the city on my own - have not yet itinerized this day. However, do know that a visit to Alcatraz on this day is a must.

5/10/08 - Check out and head to SFO for an 11:35 a.m. flight.

This is our first trip up this way and we want to maximize every moment without overwhelming ourselves.

Any feedback you can provide will be great.

Thanks,
Linda
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM

I would suggest that you do not rent a car until you are in the city and are ready to drive to wine country. You can just as easily rent a car the morning you are ready to leave SF from one of many city locations. Staying at airport hotel, there should be a free shuttle to get you there after your arrival.

It will also save you $$ if you don't rent a car at airport. You will save on lots of airport related fees and taxes.

Don't know much about Fox Rental first hand, but read some less than good things about them online.

We rented in city from Dollar and got a great rate. There are several locations and the promo code we used was: 350

We paid $22 a day, got upgraded a class and taxes were a few $ only. There is one right near Union Square [364 O'FARRELL ST.
] for your drop off and there is one on Fishermans Wharf[2500 MASON STREET] for pickup.

dollar.com

Deb
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Also, we did night tour of Alcatraz. I highly recommend it, smaller crowds, less rushed, spooky, narrative included.

Pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/Alcatraz2008

Deb
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the input. With Fox rental we have a convertable from 5/2/08 to 5/7/08 for $197.00 including taxes and all. I had checked around and all other companies were over $300.00 . I'm hoping the lesser price will make up for the inconvenience of going back to the aiport to retur it.

I'll check out your photos of Alcatraz. I can't wait to go there - it all just fascinates me

Thanks,
Linda
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Hello Lindain, I have usually stayed at the Villa Florence and have always really liked that hotel.

However..right now they are renovating the hotel as the Kimpton Group sold it to another company. I checked out the Villa Florence a few weeks ago. The lobby was closed and they were renovating that area. I don't know if you are aware of the renovations or not and if that would bother you. I didn't get the date as to when the renovations would be completed. If this would be a concern to you this is the Villa Florence's SF phone no. 1-415-397-7700 in case you want to talk to them as to the status of the renovations in May. Best regards and have a beautiful trip, it sounds lovely.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I think Gary Danko would be a wonderful splurge. It's expensive but I think it's a pretty good value.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Since you have a car, don't worry too much about driving in the City. It's really not terrible (it's parking that can be hard). I think I would drive to the Embarcadero Center and park underground and then pop over to the Ferry Building. Weekend rates are not bad ($4.00/hr) Then if the weather is good, put the top down and do the 49 mile drive. Before you go, print off a map and watch it carefully because some of the road signs are missing. You'll get a great overview of the City and there are tons of places to stop and park and take pictures.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Riding the cable cars is a MUST! Wolfgang Puck's Postrio is wonderful. Short walk from Union Square.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I have to correct myself. Embarcadero Center is $3.00/hr on weekends, and 4 hours free with validation from one of the stores ($5.00 min. purchase).
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Max's restaraunt on Union Square is one of the best places to eat. Everytime we are in SF (once/twice a year)it never disappoints us.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I would agree with LoveItaly regarding double checking the Villa Florence. I really like their other hotel, Sir Francis Drake, especially if you can get if for less than $179/night.
Madrona manor is fabulous; I love the entry and dining room. It is old world elegance.
Gary Danko has a great reputation. My son loves getting a hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli's. Another restaurant to consider is Slanted Door,it is very fine Vietnamese cuisine.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
dmlove

I'm not sure what types of restaurants you like, but if you like a small (15 tables), crowded, urban-feel restaurant with great food, we just found a new one -- it's called SPQR, is owned by the same people who own A16. It's on Fillmore Street near Bush (a nice neighborhood for walking around, too). I wouldn't necessarily recommend dinner because they don't take reservations and the wait can be long (with no place to wait in the restaurant itself), but for a late lunch or early dinner, I'd highly recommend it.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks LoveItaly for the input on the construction going on. I did call the hotel and it will not be completed till June. They said that it should not affect guest stays and it's not too visible when you walk in. Hmm, I'm now worried because I did not know this when I booked the hotel. I love the theme of the hotel and have read many raves about this hotel.

Grasshopper, I don't know of the 49 mile drive??? Can I program it on the GPS system . I'll have to search posts to find more information. We have a full day on Saturday, 5/3/08 so maybe we can do that and get a nice overview of the city. Oh, that sounds great!!! I'm going to search right now.

Gary Danko is high on the list. I'll check out the other suggestions.

Thanks

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Here's some info about the 49 mile drive: http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/maps/49miledrive.asp What a great idea to download it into GPS. I don't know if you can but I would imagine you could.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Grasshopper