Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Finally -- assigned seats on Southwest!! Maybe....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hearing Jay Leno's monologue last night where he talked about Southwest "trying out assigned seating to see if it works [and then he comments..."hasn't it been working for all the other airlines for all these years???"] I just to a look at Southwest's site and there was a press announcement on Wednesday that they were indeed going to do tests on flights from San Diego starting on July 10th. It will involve 200 flights and they will try various methods to improve boarding [with the hopes of attracting new clients].

I really like flying Southwest, especially since they are the only ones who fly in/out of Albuquerque with reasonable rates BUT I hate the having to get a boarding pass 24 hours in advance [at least they did away with the midnight thing] to get an "A" boarding pass and then STILL having to get to the airport way in advance and stand in a line to try to get a decent seat of your choice. And then there's the issue if it is a continuing flight that already has passengers on it or if you have a connecting flight, where people are already queued up and you end up in "C" section.

I guess it is a love/hate things....

Debi

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM

My Crystal Ball is working well today.Assigned Seats @ Soutwhest will not happen.This "test" is what was done in the dark ages of seating assignments: at the gate, done by hand.You still have to be there early, stand in line, and wait.They aren't trying out any software, new or old.And no changes, if it were determined to be needed, would not be implemented until 2008.My friends who work for Southwest tell me the powers that be decided on this "test" for "show".
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:58 AM

Don't get too excited about assigned seating on SW yet. They are going to run "tests" on certain flights out of San Diego. Assigned seating will not be available on any other routes yet.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:19 AM

I don't mind the system -- the difference between the best seat and the worst seat on the plane is pretty small, IMHO. Not enough to make me switch airlines, for example.

If they gave all C passengers a $5 discount coupon (for having to suffer the indignity of being C's), I bet people would soon be clamoring for the C line.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

Yes capxxx I think you are right, the line for the C's would be a hot commodity. We fly SW a lot, and I try to get the A's, if we do we don't bother waiting in line. If we have a B pass then we will wait, but even if you have a C pass at least that means you are on the plane, unlike those flying stand by looking at everyone boarding. I typically don't care where I sit, DH prefers to sit up front just because it takes people ages to get their bags out and get off the plane. Still haven't figured out what takes so long??????
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

VegasNative-- I think what takes them so long to get off the plane...is that they insist on bringing everything they own on the plane instead of checking it in. I realize that lots of people hate waiting for their luggage to be off-loaded, but really, the stuff I've seen people CRAM into overhead compartments and underseats is amazing!

And I agree with capxxx, $5 for "C" passes would make people happy to get on last.

Debi
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
After the tests out of San Diego it isn't a sure thing they will roll it out system-wide. It will ONLY happen if it doesn't slow down their turn around times. And if the tests are a success - it would still be a year or two before you'd see it on other routes.

I don't mind the open seating and now that you can check in early from home or your hotel, it really isn't an issue.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM

I have never flown Southwest and never will if they're not capable of assigning seats.

(And in my experience, people who "love" Southwest simply don't have other options.)
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM

I wish they'd give a $5 credit for those of us who don't bring any carry-on luggage; we're the ones who help them with their "turnover" times.

It seems that almost any flight that has "some" C seats usually has LOTS of C seats, so after packing all of us in, it didn't make that much difference whether I was "a" or not: we're still "packed".

Agree that while they might change boarding methods that they never go to assigned seating.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM

I'm just glad that they still allow families with small kids to pre-board. Very few domestic airlines do anymore. It's not that I think such people should have special privileges, I just don't think it's fun either to 1) be stuck standing in the aisle behind someone waiting while they strap in a carseat; or 2) be the person holding everyone up while I strap in a carseat. You can't always get out of the aisle to do that!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM

I wish the airlines would hold the seats for families with young ones who are old enough to NOT need car seats. Let them stay in the terminal until the last moment, rather than board first then be cooped up, strapped into aircraft while the rest of us slowly get ourselves seated. I'm sure families will always get (well deserved) preferential treatment.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
bc

Gekko--
I am curious as to what it means that people who "love" Southwest have no other options? I live near an airport that has lots of options. I have my choice of at least four airports to Florida, yet I always choose Southwest. They normally have the best price and the best schedule. I also find their flight attendants to be more friendly and helpful. It is just a preference of mine. Why would it be surprising that different people like different things? I'm just curious.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM

rb - I'm with you there. My inclination these days is to let hubby get on first and get settled with the stuff, and I get on at the last possible second with Mr. Ants-in-his-Pants. People get angry on SW, though, if you try to "save" a seat, even if it's for your kid!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM

USATravel reported on their Travel section today that SW is getting lots of email from their customers that they do not want to have SW assign seats. No matter what decisions are made you can't please everyone.

I never flew SW until I started flying by myself. And I do (along the westcoast) have airline options. I have had the best luck with SW.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Love Southwest and hope they do not go with assigned seeting.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Dan

The current seating on Southwest doesn't bother me now that I always get an "A" pass by checking in 24 hours in advance. I always get an aisle seat, too. I get more middle seats when flying the "assigned seating" carriers because I book tickets late and most aisle/windows are reserved by people paying 1/4 of what my company is forking over me.

Give me Southwest any day.