Seat assignments coming to Southwest?

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Dan
Original Poster

Seat assignments coming to Southwest?

The Las Vegas Sun is reporting today that a Southwest Airlines official now says the technology is in place for SW to potentially allow advance seat selection. It's no longer "cost prohibitive," which was the main concern they quoted for years! The article does not say that SWA will go to the advance seating system.

I don't mind the open seating on SW but imagine the new passengers they could get if they did start assigning seats!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...515711577.html
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 09:20 AM
GoTravel

The main reason I will not fly SouthWest is because they will not assign seats. I refuse to be treated like cattle.

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I really don't see what the big deal is with assigned seating or no assigned seating.

Flying on SW, I haven't felt that I was treated any more or less like cattle than flying coach on any other airline. Either way they coral everyone in front of the gate, send each person through the door one at a time and load everyone on the plane.

The only difference is once you get on the plane. Either you sit where your ticket says you sit or you sit where there is an empty seat.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:17 PM

It's my understanding that Southwest has never wanted to get involved in the mess of advance seat selection because it would consume too much of their employees' time and doesn't add value. By rewarding those passengers who check in earlier with being in the first boarding group, they reduce the time that the plane is at the gate. I'd much rather fly on a flight that would either be on time or early than one with assigned seating!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM

I've avoided SWA because I either (1) travel alone and very much want an aisle seat where I can stretch out my legs and/or (2) am traveling with my childrena and it's been very important that we sit together. To make sure of this, I have to get to the SWA gate way ahead of time and then stand in line to make sure I get one of the first group of boarding passes. Big hassle, especially when traveling with children. If SWA has a great bargain going, I'll consider it, but otherwise I'll pay a little more on another airline for the peace of mind of a pre-assigned seat.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Linda5015:
You might want to re-think when traveling w/your children. They
are extremely accommodating to traveling families & handicapped folks and you really don't have to
queue up as this group preboards.

Admittedly I'm predjudiced as their personnel have an attitude not found on the 'majors ' I've traveled.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 07:37 AM

I'd be one of those new customers if Southwest starts issuing reserved seats. I'm sort of a freaky flier and am slightly claustrophic, too, so it's really important to me that I have an aisle seat.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I only fly Southwest, I refuse to fly anyone else unless I have too. I can't stand people that complain out them. What is the big deal, who cares about assigned seating. Pick a seat and sit your butt down. If you want assigned seating, don't fly southwest. I have always enjoyed my flights and crew, not to mention the prices. They are the best airlines out there. I would prefer that they stick with the open seating. If you want a better seat, get to the gate earlier or fly with someone else. More room for me......Also, I here people complain about Southwest not serving better food. Shut up! You are on an airplane, not in a fine-dining establishment. All you need is a snack to get you to your destination. If you want a meal, make yourself some breakfast or wait until you get to where you are going.

Southwest has always ranked near the top concerning airline safety. Would you rather they spend the extra money that goes towards safety on a better snack? I bet some of you would.......

IDIOTS, and there are many out there !
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 09:04 AM

When I fly Southwest it seems to me like it takes LESS time to get the all of the cattle ( us ) on board and take off. We are cattle whatever airline you take... I'd rather get the whole ordeal over with quicker. Also, SW is much more reasonable when you have to make a ticket change etc.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Please, jedivader and colletteRI,
don't let 'em know how good Southwest is !
If they DO go assigned seating, there'll be no room for us!
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 10:09 AM
GoTravel

jed, dude, chill out.

It's ok if people don't like Southwest and it doesn't make them stupid or idiots. It is just a personal preference.

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Dan
Original Poster

I've always been amused by the "cattle call" concept some people have of Southwest. The big difference between SWA and the other carriers is that we cattle are in a big herd on SWA, while the cattle know which stall to go to on the others! Once on the plane, you take off, land, get peanuts, etc. No difference.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I've had always had good luck with seating on Southwest, until I flew one afternoon to Phoenix from Providence. We got to the airport more than 3 hours early, checked in and went through security in less than 15 minutes, and were at the gate almost 3 hours before take off. There was already a line about 75 people deep. Unbelievable. I didn't really care about an aisle or a window, but I did want to sit with my family. I think we got the last four seats (two in each row) together.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Dan
Original Poster

Why in the world would people line up 3 hours prior to takeoff when all of the Southwest monitors clearly state the check-in won't begin at the gate until 60 minutes prior?

This sounds strange to me.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Could have been a group.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:09 PM

This post has me wondering if flying S/W
will be a mistake on an upcomeing trip from portland to New Orleans with a party of 6, (3 kids and 1 elderly aldult)I dont fly very often and never on S/W,
the prices look good but siting close to family is also important.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Southwest always calls for kids and "anyone else needing assistance" to board before anyone else.You should be fine,just make your presence known as soon as you check in at the gate.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:42 PM
GoTravel

This is why I won't fly SW again.

I like to go to the airport 45 minutes before my flight leaves (small airport), go through security and then go sit at a restaurant or bar until most everyone is done boarding the plane.

I am usually one of the very last people boarding the plane even if I'm in FC. Reason? Makes no sense to stand in line just to stand and why do I want to just sit in my seat on the plane watching everyone board when I can watch TV at the bar?

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:29 PM

halbo49 - you shouldn't have any problems sitting together on SW. As BeachBoi pointed out, families with children and those needing assistence always get to board first.

I actually love this because most of the people with kids sit up front, so when it is my turn to board, unless I have to make a tight connection at the next airport, I usually go to the back of the plane and lower my chances of sitting near a screaming child the whole way.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Call me spoiled, call me whatever you like... I like first class and if I can get upgraded, I want to be upgraded.
I generally fly long haul and I can't stand being crammed up next to someone or worse, 2 someones. I fly often enough to earn free upgrades for most of my flights so I prefer AA over Southwest. And I ditto the comments about boarding last and not waiting in all the boarding lines.
I understand that I am a little spoiled... but I have to use the time I spend traveling productively and standing in lines is counter productive.
To each his own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO