Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Final travel night in Fredricksburg or Richmond?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight home will be leaving Saturday noon from Richmond Int'l Airport (in Sept) -
we'll be staying in Fredricksburg Thursday night; should we stay Friday night as well, or somewhere in Richmond? It's our first time in the area, so we're not familiar with local traffic habits/drive times. We've heard of the Shockoe Slip area in Richmond - would that we a nice area to spend our final evening in VA? Somewhere in between the two cities? Advice will be appreciated!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I'm nowhere near an expert on either city, but I've stayed a few times in Fredricksburg as a stop over on the way to the Outer Banks and don't recall there being much there. I have been to Richmond once on business and found it to be a nice city that I wouldn't have minded spending more time in to explore. There was a nice selection of restaurants and if I recall the city had more "charm" to it than Fredricksburg. Based on my limited knowledge of both cities I would definitely pick Richmond over Fredricksburg.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Hotwheels, it depends on what you want to do, really. There are lots of Civil War battlefields in the Fredericksburg/Richmond area if that sort of thing interests you.

Shockoe area would be a fun spot to just hang out, walk around, eat and have a few beers and listen to some live music on Friday night.

Late Friday afternoon or early evening would be the only time you'd likely encounter really bad traffic between Fred and Richmond, and even then, the worst of it is between DC and Fred. Under normal conditions it's a quick trip between the 2 places-well less than an hour. Much of the traffic on 95 moves at more like 80mph or faster vs the posted 65, so keep right if you're not going to do that)

You didn't mention how or where you'll be coming to Fred on Thursday. Don't even think about coming from DC area to Fred in afternoon/evening, though, if that's what it is. It's a nightmare.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Oh, the historic district of Fredericksburg is well worth spending some time in. Very much so. Outside of there, the town becomes unremarkeable, yes.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies - we'd be traveling to Fredricksburg via the road that runs past Culpepper (from the mts.)on Thursday. We are intending to visit a battlefield or two... We just want a nice dinner & a leisurely Friday evening to end our vacation, so perhaps Richmond would be a good bet!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Have a great time Hotwheels. One of my favorite battlefields is a small one-the North Anna River. It's about halfway between Fred and Richmond only a short disctance off 95. About a one mile walking trail thru the woods, but the extensive earthworks and trenches are some of the best preserved there are (not preserved as in maintained or reconstructed, just "still there" preserved). And of course, the infamous stone wall is right in Fredericksburg.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Richmond is my home, so I am biased but believe it's a great place to spend an evening and have a nice dinner in a great city.

I know of two great places for lunch in Culpeper if you'll be going through there at the appropriate time. I also would be more than happy to help you will dinner recommendations for Richmond.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we'd love to have your recommendations! If you'd be so kind, we're considering lodging where we could just walk or taxi short distance to dinner (in Richmond)that's also easy to find/easy to drive to airport in AM. We look forward to your suggestions!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM

The Jefferson Hotel is lovely and a landmark. Lemaire, the restaurant there, was recently revamped and reopened and is wonderful and has a great bar. Comfort, Southern food with a twist, is also a short walk from there.

The Omni Richmond is supposed to be nice and would be a short jaunt to Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom. Millie's Diner (go to milliesdiner.com) is not a diner at all, but a great restaurant that would be a short cab ride from the Omni.

Either would be an easy "hop back on the interstate" and head to the airport venture.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM

I agree, spend the final night in Richmond. The Omni is nice and an easy walk to several restaurants within just a couple of blocks in Shockoe Slip. You'd need a cab to go to Millie's or Comfort, or you could also go to Carytown and check out the restaurants there. Getting back on the interstate from there is also just a short drive.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Richmond it is! We'll check into reservations today...