Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Final 3 Days of Oregon Vacation - Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some ideas on how to spend the last 3 days of our upcoming vacation to Oregon. (This is a return vacation, as we were there a few years ago as well.) We will have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the end of September before catching an early morning flight out of Portland on Monday.

The first week we will spend in Bend, the second week in Depoe Bay. We plan to spend a day in Portland on one of those 3 days, but that's about our tolerance for being in a city - that's why we go on vacation. I could probably do 2 days, but DH has nixed that completely.

The preference is more to mountain scenes and I've taken a look at Timberline Lodge, but it's a bit out of our budget. We did stay in Hood River last time. McMenamins Edgefield doesn't have any availability, unfortunately - that would have been perfect.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 04:10 AM

Check out some of the B & B's by Hood river - or Eugene - and then tour a few wineries?
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 04:12 AM

Or - check out the area around Welches - about 20 minutes before you reach Mt. Hood.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 04:18 AM

So, you actually have two days outside of Portland.

I assume from your description of the first part of your trip that you will have explored the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area outside of Portland - if not that could fill your two days (you can rent bicycles and peddle along the hike n bike trail through the gorge).

Another idea would be driving north on I-5 to hwy 12, take it eastward to the small town of Packwood which has a couple of mid-range hotels (about a 3 1/2 hour drive). From Packwood you could use as a base to explore Mt Rainier National Park and Mt St Helens Volcanic Monument.

OR

Take hwy 12 westward through Hoquiam/Aberdeen to Lake Quinault and explore the Pacific coast and rain forests of Olympic National Park (3 1/2 to 4 hour drive).
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw no mention of seeing Crater Lake. See it between Bend/Sunriver and Depoe Bay. If no lodging is available inside the park, stay near Diamond Lake, Union Creek (cabins), or Prospect.
Go by way of Rt. 138 and Rt. 38 to see Dean's Creek Elk viewing area near Reedsport. Do you really want to spend a whole week in Depoe Bay? Stop to see Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach.
In Astoria try to see the Astoria Column.
Check on the rental cars in downtown Portland v. PDX airport.
The red line (light rail) of TriMet is right outside the luggage claim at PDX.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tomfuller. While we will stay at our timeshare in Depoe Bay the entire week, we do plan to travel up and down the coast on day trips. This was such an enjoyable stay last time we just had to repeat it.

I'd love to go to Astoria again (climbed the tower last time and was sore for a whole day), not sure if we'll make it. Last time stayed at Clementine's B&B and ate at the Silver Salmon, did some movie scene visits but didn't make Lewis & Clark site. We did Crater Lake last time (it was a HOT early September), will pass this time though.

I did rent a car downtown, with an airport return. That saved me about half the cost, amazing.

tomsd - both Welches and Hood River B&Bs sound good. Do you know anything about Mt. Hood Cabins in Welches (The Cabins Creekside)? They look pretty cute and peaceful.

CascadeBob, thanks for the suggestions. They might be a bit farther than we plan, but we are thinking about some options in Washington state as well. DH would like a last couple very peaceful days well away from ambient light (so he can see stars, if it's clear). Always enjoy an opportunity for horseback riding.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 07:25 AM

One of my favorite spots in Oregon is the Metolius River area- Camp Sherman? Close to Sisters so may be farther than you want to drive?

It will be beautiful that time of year. There are many lovely spots along the McKenzie River - Clear Lake is Sept is beautiful and there is a nice trail around the lake- you can rent rowboats there and the water looks like the Caribbean- aqua blue.

Another fascinating area is the John Day Fossil beds and the Painted Hills. You can dig for fossils behind the school in Fossil- there is an amazing paleontology center - again, may be farther than you wanted to drive
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 08:07 AM

I agree with sunbum, Clear Lake is stunning that time of year! Sahalie Falls are nearby and are not to be missed, IMO.

I would skip Eugene itself. One reason is that the end of September the university students are returning so it will be much busier.

The gorge is beautiful and there are a lot of places to stay. I would opt for something in Hood River or even Timberline Lodge. If you do TL, you would want to get a reservation asap since they fill up far in advance. There are also some nice places in Government Camp, just a few minutes down the hill from Timberline.

The suggestion for Mt St Helens is good too, if the weather is decent. The visitors centers are very well done, especially Johnston Ridge Observatory.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

If not Timberline, how about The Resort at the Mountain?
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I have not stayed there, but been by it many times. Nice enough place, but nothing else right there unless you want to golf.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Au contraire mms. You can also fish - ride bikes around - or walk/hike the old Salmon River Trail - or go to the Wildwood Nature Preserve/Park/campground - and walk over the wooden bridges/walkways that extend out into the marsh - and there is even a fish viewing window by the stream/river.

And - slud - we stayed at a B & B right on the river - just a couple pasthousesd the Resort at the Mountain, which has a very good dining room. Don't know about the Hood River Cabins.

We have even stayed several times at the timeshare place right by the resort - had a 1 BR condo ($100 a night or some such) - and BBQ'd on the deck and enjoyed seeing the deer walk around the golf course early in the morning or at dusk.

You can even drive in on the other (north) side of 26 to some great/pristine small lakes - going in just past/east of Zig Zag as I recall.

So much to explore in the area.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:11 AM

For the timeshare place - check Whispering Woods Resort. Fun place - even if there are kids in the pool.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, you've given me a lot to work with. Some casual hikes through the woods, a final nice meal or two, maybe watch a deer or two walk by - all sounds good. Will choose something close enough so that we can get a good day's worth of time in Portland on the last day.

Appreciate it!
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Close enough to Portland and for sure within your budget is a yurt at Champoeg State Park (There are 5 including 1 handicapped). It's a few miles off I-5 and has a couple of nice hikes. This is where the state charter was signed on February 14, 1859. Oregon is the only state that I know of that has a 2 sided flag. The state seal with OREGON and 1859 on the front and a beaver on the back side.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM

From Welches to the airport - easy in an hour.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Check into the Oregon Gardens - Silverton area and the Oregon Resort- some friends of mine stayed here recently and loved it! Of course the gardens will have peaked but other things to do would include hiking Silver Falls State Park, which is spectacular. Ten waterfalls with an easy trail in between- one of my favorite hikes in Oregon. Some of the trails go behind the falls

http://www.oregongardenresort.com/Packages.htm
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Sludick,

Do you enjoy winetasting? If so, I have a couple of heavenly places to recommend. One 10 minutes drive up the mountain from McMinnville (vrbo property with gorgeous gardens and views).

Walla Walla would be too far, but I'm returning to the beautiful Inn at Blackberry Creek B&B for the 4th. Beautiful gardens, yummy breakfasts, very nice rooms (just 4).

Have a fun vacation
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Mt. Rainier and Mount St Helens are surprisingly close to Portland, and they are fascinating destinations. Your could visit Mt. Rainier on Saturday and Mount St. Helens on Sunday.

Places to stay on Saturday include Seasons Motel in Morton and the Holiday Inn Express or McMenamins Olympic Club in Centralia: http://www.mcmenamins.com/olyclub

There are many hotel options near the airport.

HTtY
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!

In the end, since DH has wanted to spend some time oogling Mt. Hood, I've booked 2 nights at The Resort; got a great rate on a nice room with a fireplace.

Dayle - I would love to hear your recommendations on wineries near McMinnville. The plan is to leave Depoe Bay and meander towards Mt. Hood, passing through McMinnville. We do enjoy wineries and are fond of red wines. Oftentimes we will bring some back or have it shipped when possible.

We plan to eventually arrive at Mt Hood late afternoon and enjoy the property. The next day we will spend exploring the area - thanks for the suggestions, tomsd.

The last day will be spent in Portland. We have the Market, Rose Garden, not sure what else. We've declared a moratorium on any more books, since if we get any more we might be labeled hoarders. So not Powells again.

Again, many thanks. Will try to remember to do a trip report this time..
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 12:41 PM

sludick--I am not Dayle, but can also give you some winery suggestions. I live in this area, and we hit the wineries often. In this area, around McMinnville/Carlton/Dundee Pinot Noir is the main varietal and is what put Oregon on the world map for wines. My personal favorites are the smaller places such as Seufert in Dayton (just outside of McMinnville), Arbor Brook in Newberg, Brick House also in Newberg and less than 5 minutes from Arbor Brook, and Tristaeum, again right near Brick House. Arbor Brook also has wonderful Pinot Gris, and the new release of Chardonnay (which I usually do not like) from Seufert is excellent. There are many more wonderful wineries, which is a good problem to have...too many You might also like Argyle in downtown Dundee for their sparkling wines. Lots of great restaurants in the area as well, but my fav is Red Hills Market which is a deli/restaurant that does wood fired sandwiches and pizzas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -