Ferryboats to MV and Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go from the cape to Martha's Vineyard on 10/16 staying overnight, then going to visit a friend on Nantucket on 10/17, returning to the cape on the 18th. Can I get to the cape from Nantucket without having to go back to the vineyard, or do the boats leave the cape from 2 different places. I will have my car parked at the cape. I know the boat schedules change around this time.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
kealalani

There are no ferries directly between the two islands, so Hyannis would be the place to park the car. You would have to ferry fromMV to Hyannis and then Hyannis to Nantucket - certainly doable, but not ideal.

I am sure the flights are private and cost prohibitive, but a search may be worth looking at.

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM

The only way to get to/from both places is from Hyannis. You would have to take Hyline boats

www.hy-linecruises.com/

You'd pretty much have to take the fast ferry to the vineyard, unless their one trip a day (each way) works for you.

Otherwise the steamship authority boats only leave out of Falmouth (for the Vineyard) or Hyannis (for Nantucket)

There are a couple of flights from Cape Air between the two islands.

Even though the 2 islands look, and are...relatively speaking, close to one another....they are a PAIN to get between....people are often shocked to find this out, but it's sadly the truth.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM

The answer is yes and no -
Hyline operates an inter-island ferry route between Hyannis-Nantucket-MV but it is seasonal and ends in mid September.

In October, your choices are Cape Air or
the ferry from Hyannis to MV, return to Hyannis to take the ferry to Nantucket, and then return to Hyannis.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM

In Mid October, you will have to fly to do this. You can fly Cape Air from Hyannis to the Vineyard, then on to Nantucket, then back to Hyannis.

For schedules and prices, www.flycapeair.com. Hyannis-Island prices aren't horrible, but you gotta wanna. In 17 years on Nantucket, I've only been to the Vineyard once.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. We may just go over to MV for the day and stay on the cape, catching the boat to Nantucket the following day. There is alot involved to get to the islands, but it is so worth it!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM

That time of year day trips, in my mind, are much better than in the midst of summer when traffic (car, people, etc) is much heavier -
You can do great day trips at that time of year - and the weather could still be great for bike riding or using the bus routes.