Search

Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
nlg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod

We are planning a trip to Cape Cod in September. I am overwhelmed with the number of choices to stay and visit. We will be taking our son and daughter in law who live in
New Hampshire. We would like to stay in a bed and breakfast near a ferry to take to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket(day trip). We are interested in being near a beach for walks and good restaurants. I have looked at Hyannis, Sandwich, Chatham, Brewster,
Wellfleet and Truro-does anyone have favorites? I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM

You might look into the Commodore in West Harwich. Seconds from the water. I believe a ferry leaves from just down the road.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM

As far as I know the ferries leave from Woods Hole, Falmouth and Hyannis. If you think of the Cape as a flexed arm, Falmouth is in the armpit (although lovely), Woods Hole is south of Falmouth, Hyannis is between armpit and elbow, Chatham is at the elbow and Wellfleet and Truro are above the elbow. From the elbow up is the National Seashore which is beautiful with big dunes and crashing surf. It is very different from the small towns near Falmouth, but both are worth seeing. I'm not sure how long you will be there, but one suggestion might be to stay in Chatham (they have many lovely inns and b&bs), take a day trip up to see the Nat'l Seashore and maybe to Provincetown, then travel to Falmouth for a night or two to catch a ferry to the Vineyard. If you choose Nantucket, the ferry from Hyannis might be faster, although I wouldn't suggest staying there. There are several ferry choices depending on if you need a car or not. Good luck, Sept. is a wonderful month on the Cape.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM

For some years there has been a boat leaving I believe, from Brax landing, 705 Main St , HARWICH. Cape Cod. Their # is 508-432-5515. Cant remember which island they go to.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
nlg
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. Does anyone have a favorite bed and breakfast? There are so many!! We are open to any suggestions.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I can highly recommend the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast in Eastham, mid-way between Chatham and Provincetown. The location inside the National Seashore can't be beat and the accommodations are top notch. We stay at Fort Hill every summer and usually take a day trip to Nantucket using the fast ferry out of Hyannis ( a 30 minute drive). Eastham is a great location with some of the best ocean and bay beaches you will find on the cape. Additionally, we like the personal service, full gourmet breakfast and privacy that Fort Hill offers. Although the Fort Hill Area feels like it is back in the 1800's it is just a minute from the major road that leads to Orleans, Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown, Chatham and Hyannis.

Unfortunately, getting to Woodshole for the MV ferry from the lower/outer cape will take you over an hour. So if MV is a high priority with you then maybe you should try to find a place on the upper cape.