Fenway Park - end of May

Search

Fenway Park - end of May

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fenway Park - end of May

Will it be cold for an evening game? I know the weather there is a little unpredictable and just want to be prepared. We will be visiting from the UK and so have no idea of what to expect from Boston at this time of year.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:20 AM

We live in Boston, and we have no idea, either! It could be 40 degrees, or 80. Just check the weather report that afternoon and dress accordingly.

The temperature can drop significantly in the evening, even after a very warm day, so I recommend that you bring at least a sweater (jumper) even if the day has been warm.
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Your guess is as good as mine too.lol.. Fenway Park, the end of May, the lush field, the old park, the fans and the Red Sox.. Bring a jacket and be prepared for a sold out crowd, knowledgable fans, a baseball team that is absolutely adored from Papi and Manny down to Papplebom... The new Fenway Experience of the closed off streets, the vendors, the families...will make it one of the most enjoyable evens...see if you an schedule a tour of Fenway Park earlier in the day..
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM

You really never know, so pack layers so you're prepared.

ParrotMom, it's Papelbon.

Have fun!
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I sort of guessed layers would be our best bet. We are looking forward to it. We visit the States at least oncea year and try to catch a sporting event of some sort. We are really looking forward to seeing the Red Sox - even WE know they are legendary. Saw the SF Giants 2 years ago and my daughter and her bf had their first experience of hockey when they went to see the Rangers at Madison Square Garden earlier this year. The thing we love most is how family friendly these events are - sadly not somethng we always claim for our soccer matches here!
One more thing though - any specialities food/snackwise at Fenway? I must say the garlic fries at SF's park were amazing!
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Re food - while food at Fenway has improved in past years, the specialty is to eat before you go - really, the food is that bad.

Now, some Fenway/Red Sox info. If during the game for some reason, fans start chanting Yankees Suck - they are referring to NY Yankees and there is no explanation for why fans chant this when Red Sox are not even playing the Yankees except for general hatred of the Yankees.

Someone is always sitting in our seats when we arrive at Fenway. In their defense, seats/rows are not all that well marked - get an usher to help.

Towards the end of the game, they will play old Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline". This has absolutely nothing to do with the Red Sox, sports or Boston. Rumor has it some intern played it as mid-inning filler many years ago and the crowd liked it so it became a tradition - but it still makes no sense.

The Red Sox could be winning or losing by 100 runs and few people will leave before the end of the game.

All fans, no matter how far seats are from home plate, are sure they have a better view of strikes and balls than the umpire who is 2 feet away.

Beer is only sold until the 6th or 7th inning.

If you do not understand the game, you might want to bring a small radio with earphones to listen to part of it on the radio (680 AM) - they do a good commentary and explanation.

Seats are small, crowded and very uncomfortable. One must climb over many people to get to your seat. Far less comfortable than SF PacBell (or whatever it is called now).

While Anon is correct about the weather, what was not mentioned is that the weather is so unpredictable that the reports are often wrong. Can not imagine an evening in May when you would not need something warm to wear - a fleece jacket, etc.

Now, we are off to Fenway Park for the 2 PM game - it is Mothers' Day in US and that is how I have chosen to spend it for past 3 years.
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I've been going to night games the last week or so wearing a tee-shirt and a fleece jacket. Its been enough for April, so probably fine for late May. Of course, you can always buy a Red Sox sweatshirt if you get cold

the story I heard about Sweet Caroline, is that one of the Fenway front office types played it a day after his baby daughter, Caroline, was born. And yes, the fans sang along and it stuck.

As far as the food, I agree with Gail, that eating before you go is generally a good idea. I recommend El Pelon for a burrito before thegame. But some folks do like the Cuban sandwiches (sold at the El Tiante stand on Yawkey way). Mostly the food and beer is just so ridiculously expensive its hard to justify.

Gates open 2 hours before the game, when the visiting team should be taking batting practice.

Old May 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Not sure where you are staying, but I recommend taking the T (subway). Parking is a rip off and it can take forever to get out of there.

Fenway is amazing. It's like no other park I've been to. Have fun!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Just returned from a dreadful-until-the-ninth-inning game at Fenway. It is now mid-May, warm day, sunny - we happened to be sitting in the shade and that combined with the wind - I had on short sleeved shirt, long-sleeved thick shirt and fleece zipped outer layer - and I froze.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. We can't weait now. Staying at the Sheraton (at the Prudential Centre) and it looks as though it would be ok to walk to Fenway. I take it the area is ok?
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM

That is fine idea to walk, although since it is night, I would take any of the same reasonable precautions one takes in any large city at night - make sure you know where you are going, don't wander down dark and empty streets, be aware of your surroundings. You will find immediately after the game quite a few people walk in that direction. If you decide to stop for food or drink after the game, I would take a cab back to hotel - it is not far, but then it gets less populated with people since Boston is not a late night city.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Unrelated thought - if end of May includes last Monday in May, that is a holiday in US - Memorial Day. These days, almost everything except banks and public buildings are open, but something to know.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM

I'm surprised no one has recommended that you take the tour of Fenway Park while you're in Boston. It's fantastic. Check on the tour schedule for the days you'll be there.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM

As Parrotmom recommended, the tour is worthwhile, especially to novice baseball fans.

I am guessing that you'll be seeing a game against the Cleveland Indians. Should be a good game as the Indians are pretty competitive.

A few other things to watch for...

Manny Ramirez plays left field and is known to on occassion disappear into the left field wall (known as the Green Monster). Fans will give him a good natured hard time if he does this or some other silly goofy thing. He is a brilliant hitter and a decent fielder but is known for being a bit of an airhead. We call it "Manny being Manny".

David Ortiz - known as Big Papi - and known for his big smile and great personality as well as his tremendous home runs. He doesn't play the field, he is the designated hitter. The crowd will be on their feet if its a close game and he is at bat. Can be counted on to come through in a clutch situation. One of the most exciting things that you may witness is the Red Sox losing at the bottom of the 9th inning and Big Papi is at bat. The crowd will be insane with excitement as he has hit "walk off" home runs numerous times in this situation. Probably the most popular player on the team

Kevin Youkalis - when he comes up to bat, you'll hear all the fans yell "Euuukkkk" - it almost sounds as if they are booing him but he is a very popular player. Plays first base.

Jason Veritek - catcher and official captain of the team. Smartest player on the field. He's a switch hitter - means he bats both lefty and righty.

Wally - funny looking green monster - the mascot of the team. Named after the giant wall in left field known as the Green Monster.

Daisuke Matsuzaka - known as Dice-K, pitcher from Japan the Red Sox just paid $50mill for. You'll see lots of signs in Japanese and lots of Japanese fans if he is pitching.

Jonathan Papelbon - our closer (the pitcher that is relied on in the 9th inning to close out the game and insure a win). They'll play "Wild Thing" when he comes out of the bullpen and he charges like a crazy person across the field but then stops and walks slowly across the infield.

Have a great time.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM

will be there Memorial Day night - please tell me it is safe to walk back after the game to Mariott Copley; or will glady accept advice
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I would think right after the game walking should be fine.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM

thank you - riding the 'T' sounds good, but may be more trouble than its worth with the crowd
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM

It should be a pleasant walk back after the game so long as the weather holds up. You are right to avoid the Green Line - the crowds are very uncomfortable.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM

yes it is safe to walk back after the game. There will be loads of people walking back in the direction of copley square.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM

my female friend, with whom I attend games, often walks back to the Pru after the games, by herself. The Kenmore T stop is so very crowded she hates to try and get on there.

I was at the game last thursday, and it was ridiculously cold. I wore long underwear, turtleneck and jeans, and a heavy fleece and it wasn't enough. I wished I had brough a hat and gloves.

We even have frost warnings for MA tonight!! I hope by next week it will be warmer, but as always...be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -