Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Feedback needed on 9 day Grand Teton/Yellowstone/Glacier itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
JKZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going on a 9 day vacation to Grand Teton/ Yellowstone/ Glacier NPs in mid August. Would appreciate your thoughts on our itinerary. We both are very active travellers but like to do only moderate hikes - max 3-4hours/day. We goto bed early and wake up early giving us more time. I see that the sunset is at approx 9PM in August. Your input will be much appreciated!

Day 1: Reach SLC 10AM, drive to Jackson - Sunset at Grant teton. Stay at Jackson.

Day 2. Explore Grant teton. Night at south entrance to Yellowstone. (Grant village)

Day 3. Explore Yellowstone. Drive bear tooth to Red Lodge in the evening. Stay at Red Lodge.

Day 4. Drive back on bear tooth in the morning to Yellowstone. Explore Yellowstone. Night at Gardiner.

Day 5. Explore Yellowstone. Afternoon drive to Great Falls along scenic US 89.

Day 6. Drive to Glacier NP. Explore Glacier NP. Night at St. Mary.

Day 7. Glacier NP.

Day 8. Glacier, late evening drive to Missoula.

Day 9. Drive to SLC, flight back at night 8PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I would add a day in the Tetons and take a day off Glacier. The Tetons are my favorite area in the American West, great activities including whitewater rafting in Jackson. We've driven from Yellowstone to Glacier and stayed overnight in Great Falls as you plan. Its an easy drive, we had a great dinner in Helena in the historical district. Enjoy
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
JKZ
Original Poster

Hilda: Thanks for your suggestion. This is my first vist to the area - I'm sure the Tetons are awe inspiring. I plan to stay late at Grand Teton before I drive to Grant village for the night. I wish I had more time.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
JKZ
Original Poster

Anyone more comments? Any particular drives/sights to see along the way? I'm thinking I'll take the Chief Joseph hwy back from Red Lodge to Yellowstone. Is it similar to Beartooth?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM

I hope you're planning to come back, because to spend only 7 actual days in those three parks will merely tease you and whet your appetite for more! Don't get me wrong--any time you spend, long or short, in those parks is pure gold! But, 7 days is a tease.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM

In answer to your question about the Chief Joseph Highway: In a word, no.

The Absorakas are a different breed of cats from the rock that forms the Beartooths. It erodes faster.

There are some spectacular stretches along the Chief Joseph, but nothing as dramatic as the high points on the Beartooth Pass crossing.

I never really thought sunset at the Tetons was anything special. The mountains are between you and the sun, hence the side you are facing is in deep shadow and the details are quickly obscured. Early morning views of the Tetons from Signal Mountain are a different story because the sun is shining on the mountains.

I frankly think you are giving Yellowstone short shrift. I have tried doing the same thing you are doing, only I spent 5 whole days in Yellowstone.
We did go fishing one day which meant we saw a lot of lake water and not many fish.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:24 PM

I agree with the others, you aren't giving yourself much time in Yellowstone. We just spent 9 days there and that still wasn't enought time!

I would not do the Beartooth twice. I'd spend the time in Yellowstone and if you HAVE to go to Glacier, which I would suggest dropping, I'd exit the park on the Beartooth and then make your way up to Glacier.

Utahtea
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
JKZ
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone! Since we've never been to Yellowstone we have no idea what to expect. If we really like it there may be we will drop our plans to drive to red lodge and just stay in yellowstone that night. That should give us 3 days and 2 nights in yellowstone. We're hoping to get a feel of the park and hopefully come back and stay longer sometime.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM

There is nothing wrong with getting a quick overview of these parks, time is often an issue. Enjoy yourself whatever you do