favorite vacation with teens?

Mar 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

favorite vacation with teens?

We are starting to look for a grand vacation for our sons before they leave for college next year. Any ideas?
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM

what are you interested in and where do you all live? Would you want to drive or fly? Estimated budget?
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
GoTravel

High end budget? Hawaii

Mid range? Mexico (Cancun)

Low end? Myrtle Beach

Mar 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM

What do they like to do?

I saw an amazing show last night on the Travel channel about Yellow Stone park. There is so much more to do there then watch the geysers. Are they the outdoorsy type? The fishing and hiking looked fabulous not to mention the wild life ( the wolf and Grizzly population is increasing and a huge suuccess story)
What about a sailing trip in the Carribbean?

What about a jaunt over to Europe?? Again, what do they like and what is your budget?
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
lvk

Costa Rica. Check out the Latin America board. Lot's of great info and helpful posters on there.
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM

as mentioned, much depends on not only where you are leaving from,but how much time do you have and what interests you and your boys. If you want active or more restful and if the former, what activities.
Mar 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Your boys would enjoy an all-inclusive resort in northern Minnesota. They want to waterski, play golf, meet a couple of summer gals who will break their hearts, down a few cocktails, and enjoy a late-night smoke on the swings. They don't want to see important sites and don't care to be enriched.
Thought you'd like to know.
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM

If your boys love the outdoors, a river rafting down the middle fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, kayaking in Baja california or Belize, skiing in summer in Chile.

Hawaii is always a sure bet for teens. Besides the beach they can take surfing lessons, and you can island hop to get the different character and activities of various islands.

We went to Guatemala before my daughter went away to college and had a blast. Went to Lake Atitlan and then to Antigua where we planned to take language lessons but instead took salsa dance lessons - but not all boys would enjoy that (but my 16 year old son did). Then to the ruins in Tikal. You could combine that with a trip to Belize and snorkeling or scuba diving there.

Since teens like to go places where there are other teens, for more ideas check out familytravelforum.com, which has many stories and suggestions for this often difficult to please age group.
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I second Costa Rica. Loved it. And it was an easy and relatively inexpensive trip.
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM

White water rafting down the Colorado with a hike up the Grand Canyon. Great bonding for a family and memories they will never forget.
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Yellowstone Park, Grand Tetons, Costa Rica. My 2 teenage sons loved all of these trips.
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help! Here are some answers to your questions, we are living on the East Coast, but can travel anywhere from here. We have cruised the Caribbean, been to Florida and Mt. Rushmore recently. We are interested in some nature fun and city fun. Medium budget. Thanks!
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Cruise the California coast from LA and North... big city fun and plenty of nature
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM

My two as teens liked the CA coast, Austin TX, Yellowstone/ Montana and one of them liked Hawaii. Also San Diego and Portland were a hit with both.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Some spots enjoyed include:

Corcovado Tent Lodge, Costa Rica
corcovadotentlodge.com/reviews.htm

Houseboat on Lake Powell/ Nat'l Parks
lakepowell.com

Iceland
Check out the icelandair.com site, many are amazed at what Iceland has to offer - great outdoor activities and lots of fun during the city part of your stay in Reykjavik

New Zealand
wildernesslodge.co.nz/lakemoeraki
and the one at /arthurspass/
and go bungy jumping/ visit winery/hike
the glaciers and rain forests

Australia
east coast/ Sydney/ Blue Mtns

Alaska

California coast

and lots of options in Europe if that interests you
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Yellowstone
Europe
Cancun

My kids enjoyed all 3...
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I asked my graduating son last year where to go. He chose Yellowstone ( I was hopng Mexico or Hawaii) We had lots of fun, but it was a lot of time in the car. Yellowstone is a BIG place, and to see it all requires more driving than we expected.
Second son is more the athletic type, and he wasn't into the whole geysers scene. he felt like if you've seen one you've seen them all. We stopped and did some awesome rock climbing in City of Rocks in southern Idaho, and he liked that.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM

California (Los Angeles) is a blast for kids that age
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM

One of our favorite trips with teens was Death Valley (in the Spring) : rolling down sanddunes, moonlight hikes, letting them drive bizarre moonscape backroads, and more.
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM

woodysagoodboy- We've done some travelling with my 3 kids when all were in their teens. I read your response to my 19 year old son and we both thought it was quite funny and true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO