Search

Favorite SC Beaches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite SC Beaches

Which do you like the best: Kiawah, Wild Dunes, Seabrook, Sullivan's, or Folly? Which has best resort/condo for 2 night stay?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Just curious. I've seen you post a version of this same question several times. Have you done a search on this board to read the previous posts about those beaches?

I have a guess why no one has answered you yet. I know the reason I haven't. It's hard to say what is "best" when one has no idea what you are looking for - and when the other location you were considering was Boston.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, but I'm not going to venture an opinion until you give more information about what YOU think makes a beach / resort/ condo "the best" - and honestly not until I see that you've done some basic research on this board.

IMO it's like asking for "the best" hotel in Paris or "the best" town in Italy. I have opinions, but would not dare offer suggestions until I have an idea what the poster is looking for.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

yes, i've done research on this forum & others for SC beaches.
the research i've come up with is that the beaches at Wild Dunes are starting to erode, & you see lots of sand bags. just looking for semi tropical, natural beach with good resort/good restaurant. also good walking trails, bike paths, and nice pools.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

the reason there were not too many replies is i just posted the question minutes ago.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

oh, & i don't post questions til AFTER i do research. it shouldn't really matter, as other people don't go around "checking" to see if the OP has done research or not.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Author: laplaya
Date: 12/27/2007, 11:53 am
would you rather visit boston or charleston, sc? also which beaches are better? coast guard beach or sc beaches (wild dunes, kiwah, seabrook)?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Author: laplaya
Date: 12/28/2007, 10:46 am
I'm leaning towards SC cause the water will be warmer & the proximity to the beaches.

Anyone recommend Wild Dunes, Kiawah or Seabrook
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Sorry. My bad.
Those must have been posted by another poster with a similar name.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

dont know what your point is.

but it says right here what i'm looking for:

12/28/2007, 10:46 am
I'm leaning towards SC cause the water will be warmer & the proximity to the beaches.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Great! Hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

if you want, you can change "best" to your "favorite" beaches.. that way, it won't be like "best" hotel in Paris... just your favorites.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks, looking forward to SC.

appreciate all the informative responses i rec'd in other post.

not too much info. here.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I have my favorites - and I have those I recommend to others when I know what makes it "best" for them. My "favorite" may not be your "best".

Sorry I can't be of assistance to you. I tried. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

why bother posting, if you don't answer the question?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I can't answer the question until I find out what constitutes "best" for you. But, since you are keeping that a secret, I'm at a loss as to how to help you.

I can promise you that I'm not the first Fodorite to ask a poster "What are YOU looking for?" But, for some reason you have taken the query as a personal affront. So, I continue to wish you good luck, safe travels and hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

says above what i was looking for in a favorite destination.
will re-post:

just looking for semi tropical, natural beach with good resort/good restaurant. also good walking trails, bike paths, and nice pools.

(i might even find a FL beach would be more suitable).
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Well, I'll bite. Personally, my favorite is Sullivan's Island, because it's the anti-resort. The beaches are very natural and there are no hotels on the island. I don't think there are any bike paths, but the island is small, with low traffic, so people ride bikes everywhere. The restaurants are pretty much low-key, like the island, but you can be in downtown Charleston in under 20 minutes, for really fine dining.

Now, based on what you described, you might prefer Kiawah, which is more resort-y. Anyway, hope this helps.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:00 AM

The OP also might be interested to know that you can keep all replies under one heading and find posts by clicking on his name.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:37 AM
OO

And I liked Kiawah for the reasons Betsy did not. And there you have it! There is something for everyone, ergo the questions about what sort of things you are looking for. Upscale resort? Laid-back, old beach houses (some not so neat), new beach houses but no resort?

Have you considered Hilton Head? It doesn't appeal to everyone, as Betsy and I have shown, we are all looking for something different, but the beaches are similar to those around Charleston--brown sand, hard packed, and you also have miles and miles of bike paths for hiking, bike riding or roller balding, and a nearby island for very rustic exploring (Daufuskie).

...or, ditch SC beaches and head someplace in the FL Panhandle. There is something for every taste there too, and the beaches are unbelievably beautiful...pure white sand and turquoise water which you won't find in SC.

I grew up in New England and even when I was young that water was too darned cold for comfort.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:22 AM

So well said, OO. I despise Hilton Head - although I stay there quite often for business reasons. And, I have friends who love it and go every year.

I know my favorite beaches in GA and FL would make other people miserable. They complain mightily about the very reasons those beaches are my favorites.

I only know of one hotel on the beach in Folly Beach and most people would not chose it for their "beach vacation". That's why I wondered if any research had been done. The list of beaches vary widely regarding style and amenities.

Asking us "Which do you like the best:... " doesn't really help us recommend a beach that another poster will enjoy. <sigh>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -