Wailea Beach Marriott?

Search

Wailea Beach Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wailea Beach Marriott?

Has anyone stayed here recently? I have checked the reviews on TA but I trust my Fodor friends opinions more!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Really...nobody?
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Can't help with a reply, but I can bring it up to top. I have the same question.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM

sorry friend! I simply have not been there - but thought I would help keep it ttt as well. Seems odd no one here has been.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, maybe it's me...taking it personally!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Tripadvisor has a lot of reviews, but it's tough to make a decision based on them, at least for me, because the best reviews are from those who are there free on points.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I did and I loved it. And I have stayed at the big 3. I got a really great rate from priceline. I asked to not be on the ground floor and was happy with a decent room. I loved the adult infinity pool and found the pool staff to be loads of fun. I loved doing coin operated laundry so everything was fresh for the next leg of our journey. I loved eating take out wings and an amazing salad in the room from their restaurant. I loved walking up the hill to Joe's for Bev Gannons famous crab dip and a sunset cocktail. I loved walking over to the mall. I loved morning walks to the big 3 and realizing that our little adult infinity pool was like an oasis compared to the vibe at the others. The big 3 all have something to offer, but I was thrilled with our visit to Marriott. We stayed on the 5th floor of the back building which had a side ocean view off the corner of the lanai. Sure it was over the service entrance, but ocean views and the privacy compared to other buildings on the property made it perfect for us.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Oh and I loved walking back from Nicks and lounging on chairs at GW in the peaceful quiet, taking in the tiki torches and the peaceful bliss of the children gone to bed.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the input Froderick. You would pick the Marriott over the Fairmont then? Also, what is this infinity pool that I've heard so much about?
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM

It really comes down to what you are looking for. marriott is a more casual resort. The infinity pool overlooks the ocean and people soak at the edge cooling down and whale watching. Compare to the big 3 it is smaller, less crowded and less of a scene. To me anyway.

Of the big 3 my faves are FS then Kealani, and I doubt you could get me to actually stay at GW again although their groundskeeper and landsape architect sure have out done themselves. For me I will likely return to the Marriott before I return to the Kea Lani. But that is because I have been there and experienced it. It is a wonderful resort and it is like comparing apples to oranges. Comes down to what you want to spend and the experience you are hoping for. I will say that KeaLani had one of the most comfortable beds and the suite setup is a luxury. But this trip for me did not require that kind of luxury. I also enjoyed the people at our pool as they didn't have any preconcieved expectations that one sees at the big 3.

Apples and oranges, and this from a couple. So I never went near the other two kid friendly pools so cannot comment on that.

Hope this made sense.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM

btw - I understand the KeaLani is doing some renovation. In my opinion the pool areas need freshening, so I would contact the hotel directly to findout how the renovations effect general public areas before thinking wow what a great rate!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Froderick! I think if we go to Maui we will probably try the Marriott in Wailea. I remember it as the Renaissance and it sounds like it has been improved quite a bit.

I checked out the Kea Lani website and the renovation is for the pools. From their website:

During the pool renovations, at least one swimming pool will always be open. The waterslide and remaining pool(s) will be closed and blocked off to allow the crew to complete their work and to ensure safety for all our guests. Tasteful, temporary enclosures will surround all work areas. Measures are being taken to minimize the level of noise by installing sound-dampening booths. Work for the pool enhancement is scheduled Monday – Friday and any noise disruption will be contained between the hours of 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Remodeling during weekends is not anticipated.

Phase I August 30 – October 7, 2010: Adults-only pool, lower lagoon pool, and the waterslide will be closed. Please note the majority of the noise disruption will take place August 30 – September 3.

Phase II October 8 – 28, 2010: Phase II consists of a few final touches surrounding the upper lagoon pool. Guests visiting during Phase II will be the first to enjoy our newly enhanced adults-only pool and lower lagoon pool. In addition, a limited number of our beautifully remodeled suites will be unveiled for guests’ enjoyment at this time!

It sounds like it would be a great deal during Phase II since only one pool will be out of service by then. We stayed there once on a special through AMEX and it was one of the rooms that faced a side street, there was some construction on the adjacent property but we could see the ocean from our lanai and it was fine for the price. I too prefer a more laid back property like a Marriott.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM

My only advice is asking not to be on one of the ground floor rooms unless you like that, and avoid rooms that surround the kids pools. It is a great piece of paradise, spread out and a wonderful location. I do hope to return someday and would never consider to revisit the Kealani while under renovation.

I pricelined it for a great rate. Originally I hoped for Makena Resort. I am so glad we landed the Marriott as it was a much better property. I love the location of the Makena (Prince) but would have been disappointed due to its current state.

I'm npt sure if the Marriott is the old Renassaince or if that is the adjacent property that is closed down, looking for an owner. Alas the economy has hit a lot of major properties. But the beach is empty because of the shut down neighbor and quite enjoyable.