Wailea Marriott Outrigger review

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Wailea Marriott Outrigger review

Just returned from an "decent" stay at this resort property. for $365 per night (high season) we stayed in a normal sized room with two double beds, one nightstand, a desk with chair and an armoire. There was enough room to bring in a crib as well.

The bathroom was a dimly lit combo tub/shower with the toilet. Sink was outside the bathroom and shared the counter area with the coffee maker and fridge (empty, not an honor bar.) The shower had no ventilation, the sink area no makeup mirror.

Our room faced the main lawn of the hotel and the gorgeous blue Pacific beyond. Excellent view, worth putting up with the smoking room to get. We only noticed the smoke smell in the corridor.

Kid's pool was a huge hit with our kids: 9,8 and 2. There are two big slides and then a wading pool with an enormous jungle gym set up with dials to spin and ropes to climb that set off sprinklers and faucets. Very neat. I never saw the adult pools but they looked lovely from the restaurant balcony. Note: wrist bands were required to use the slides and kid's pool. A friend's child joined us each day and no one minded; he just got a wrist band too.

Reasons we aren't likely to return: the hotel refused to give us a newspaper since we weren't Marriott premium level customers. Seriously, i couldn't order a crummy USA Today for the room for love or money. They said it was Marriott policy.

Next: the spa never returned 3 phone calls to reserve, then when we finally did reach them and reserved a massage, they called while we were out to cancel, saying they'd overbooked. We yelped and were able to reschedule later in the week.

Luau: we hosted a group of 10 at the luau, but just for the dessert/bar and show. One of our friends who came along took a roll and some salad from the main buffet as they were taking it away and the manager was sent to our table to admonish us. And then they took the salad away!! I know it was technically wrong, but these are the very minute ways hotels can just turn you off.

No keiki (kid's) menu in the room service. You just had to think of kid-friendly foods and play guessing games to see what they'd be willing to make for you.

final mention: there's a big construction project just beginning on the property to the south of the hotel that abuts the kid's pool. There was an incredible amount of noise (not just the kid's noise) from the tractors, etc. A wedding held on the beachfront area was completely drowned out by the workmen. (They couldn't ask the crew to take a break?)

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:45 PM

I am curious if the construction is on the Marriott site or another property? Thanks
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

HI Alohamom,
The construction "seems" to be a different property. It's walled off by chainlink fencing and tarps so you don't see it much from the beach side. It's quite visible from the Shops at Wailea and I did notice a condo sales shop in the mall itself which I suspected was what the project was for. It's between the farthest edge of the Marriott property and the beginnings of the Grand Wailea. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM

I'm fond of this hotel, although I've never paid over $175 to stay there. Christmas, alas, is premium time.

Can you tell if the condo they are building next door will be a low rise or high rise?
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, no idea. It was just a big pile of dirt being moved around last week.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:45 AM

Wow!You got SOAKED!
The construction next door is for condos that will be completed in 2 years.
There will be a 6 story hi rise at the top of the hill, blocking most of the view from the Shops. Get this! The "villas" will be 4 unit buildings in the lower garden area and close to the ocean at $4 million per unit! Most of the development is sold out!
Anyone staying near there for the next couple years should beware of dust and construction noise from any rooms next to that site..and this includes the Grand Wailea.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:37 PM

How close is this construction to the Renaissance Wailea?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

About 2 city blocks away (obscene to talk about "city blocks" in Hawaii!)
No problem for the Rennaissance, but I would check your room before taking it at the Marriott or Grand Wailea, unless you adore earth movers and boulder blasters!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
gyppielou

hmmm, my beautiful condo at Aloha Pualani in Kihei with some traffic noise seems magical in comparison!!! Decent at 365 compared to perfection at 250, Hope you can see it Mommar! We hope to return, but the property is up for sale so who knows its future. Owner is into creating,more than maintenance, and create she does!!!! Thanks for your report,

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Hi Mommar,

We were at the Outrigger during the same time period as you were. I am sorry that you were disappointed. We stayed in an oceanview room on the sixth floor to the right of the lobby that overlooked Ulua (sp?) beach. Although we certainly saw the construction site on our morning walks along the beach/hotel path we honestly never heard any noise from it. But then we didn't spend any time at the kids pool. We thought our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable, but i can understand what one of these rooms would be like with two adults and three kids. We had treatments at the Mandara Spa on the afternoon we arrived and then an oceanside massage on New Year's morning with the sound of both the ocean and the rain on the roof of the tent. I was pleased with the services provided, although the Kabuki Spa in San Francisco is still number one in my book! We only got a newspaper when we asked for one. We swam in the ocean a few times and didn't go in the pools. Enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in the Mele Mele Lounge and enjoyed going over to the Shops at Wailea for ice cream and a.m. coffee/croissants. We didn't go to a luau. All in all I was very pleased with the Outrigger and would gladly return. However, I think your mention about that construction is a good warning to others. As things progress on the site it could well be a big factor when considering this property. I feel badly for the people whose wedding was disrupted!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM

We stayed here too for 10 days just before Xmas...
I think we paid around 320/night for oceanfront, but we met people who paid much less and then upgraded with a combination of Marriott points and cash. This resort has a lot of wonderful qualities; it is relaxed and friendly, near a gorgeous, calm, and private beach (Ulua) and many rooms have unbeatable ocean views. However, our first room was in a terrible and DARK location(building 3 overlooking the main pools, but not a lot of ocean even though it was supposed to be oceanfront) and pretty noisy! We were able to move on Monday to a much better location and view (building 4 right in the middle) with a lot of light. If you go, ask to see your room first. They are all typical Marriott rooms (i.e. blah but OK decor, and pretty small especially with kids) but the location really makes a difference, and the luau and construction are much louder closer to the kiddie pool.
We ate at the restaurants and they were pretty good, but good boring very fast! The work-out room is pretty minimal too, though it does have a few cardio machines. Our girls loved the Keiki Camp, but not as much as they loved the kid's camp at Enchantment Resort in Sedona.
My opinion is that it is great place if you have kids but don't mind a small room or want to use Marriott points to get a deal, but if you want pure luxury, service, more room, and privacy, go to the Four Seasons or maybe Kea Lani. We four felt pretty cramped in our small room and bathroom, though the main floor lanai was a plus! We'd go back but only for a great deal! I hope this helps someone!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Whoops!! We just booked five nights in mid-February at the Wailea Marriott Outrigger on Priceline. If I had read this message I might have reconsidered. Although we got a $140 rate, it sounds like I better bring my hardhat. They'll probably put us next to the "big dig". Any hints on pleading with the check-in folks for the best room possible. We're not looking for oceanfront, just one that is quiet and dust-free.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Don't worry-you got such a wonderful deal, I think you'll have a great time. I'd certainly go in a heartbeat for that price! I don't know if there's any trick to getting a great room, but I'd certainly ask not to be put right next to the construction. The construction noise is really only annoying when you're right next to it; i.e. by the Kiddie pool, and of course it's only during the day. We loved the beaches which were quiet and lovely (no construction noise) and walking to the shops of Wailea and along the walkway. One thing to keep in mind, was that the pools are pretty chilly (at least for us)and the ocean actually felt warmer!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Aloha Big Dave: we got a really nice oceanview room on the sixth floor by asking for an upgrade and agreeing to pay an additional $90 per night for it. we were originally booked into a "gardenview" room and chose the upgrade without seeing it first. IMO paying the additional $$$ was $$$ well spent. our room was wonderful and we fell asleep/woke up to the sound of the ocean every night.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Hey Big Dave!
What I tell everyone,(1) ask to see the room before taking it. If there is a problem, complain instantly and demand another location. Better yet, get the 1 up by calling the hotel NOW and get the hotel address and name of the General Manager. Write a nice note stating you look forward to your trip and have heard great reviews on the hotel and that's why you chose it over the others...yadda yadda!! (2)Then mention that you are aware that on the south side of the hotel major construction is happening and you would appreciate being located as far away from the noise as possible!!!
Then...when you go and follow my advice on the room check, if everything is good write a nice note to the GM when you check out congratulating him on such a fine hotel and appreciation for his attention to your room location! BINGO! You will win the "classy guy" award! This practice works internationally!