Search

Fastest Route From Tucson to Amarillo TX

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fastest Route From Tucson to Amarillo TX

Hello there!

I'm pretty new to road tripping, and actually am doing a cross country move in one month. I am looking for the absolute fastest route from Tucson to Amarillo, TX. I'll be traveling with a dog (tips there are appreciated too) and won't be able to do any site seeing- plus the heat will make getting out of the car brief. So I just want to power through and reach my destination as soon as possible.

Importantly, I don't want to get stuck on a one lane, 50 MPH road by choosing the shortest route though. AAA gave me a route that takes routes 70, 54 and 60, but I'm not familiar with those roads at all. I can see it skirts around Roswell and up past Clovis, NM before going into TX that way.

Is it about the same time to just go the typical route through Albuquerque or do one of the lesser known routes really make a difference?

Also, my car isn't great on gas mileage, so stretches without any stations also make me nervous.

Any advice?
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The route through Roswell and Clovis is 65 miles less. It is rated at 61 mph for a trip length of 11 hours.
The Interstate route through Albuquerque is rated at 69 mph and 10.6 hours. If you think you can average 66 mph, Id go the shorter distance. Have a cooler with lots of ice and bottled water for you and the dog.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unless there is some kinda wreak or construction, the state roads in New Mexico are pretty much free flowing and fast as the traffic is flowing .. good luck and safe travel
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a good Pilot station at the east end of Lordsburg NM. Top off again before you leave Las Cruces on US 70.
My general rule in the west where the gas stations are far apart is never pass a gas station if the gas gauge is below 1/2.