Fashion help from New Yorkers please..

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:09 AM
suburban

Fashion help from New Yorkers please..

Out here in the burb's we're still wearing sandals (it's been so warm), how about in the city? Are you seeing boots yet, or still sandals? Of course I'll be going in tomoorow until Saturday, and the forecast calls for downpours the entire time. What would you wear on your feet if you don't want to look clueless?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Gotaclue

Closed shoes and don't forget a hangover.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Gotaclue

LOL, I meant overcoat! Where did I get hangover from? Must be a Freudian slip!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:21 AM
fashiongirl

Submom, no sandals at this point. It's supposed to rain all weekend so wear shoes that can take the wet. Overcoats aren't necessary, it isn't that cold yet, but a rainjacket should do.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:05 AM
xxx

I wouldn't wear sandals in the dead of summer. Streets can get nasty. wear close toed shoes.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Stephanie P.

Suburban:

I'd say wear pennyloafers or black Mary Janes, with heels or not. These shoes go with all kinds of clothing.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:44 AM
x

Anything goes, except that NYers generally frown on scraps of cardboard & newspaper tied around your feet with twine.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:55 AM
suburban

Thanks everyone, I haven't worn cardboard (tres urban chic) since the late 70's, so I think I'm safe, Oh and Gota - I won't forget the hangover either, since will be doing some bar hopping tomorrow night.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:59 AM
x

don't keep us in supsense - is it open or closed toes for nyc this weekend! the really large issues never get addressed

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Old Fashioned Gal

Black buckle boots, yellow rain slicker and matching hat - think the Morton Salt girl!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
suburban

Oh, It's closed, but the only really cool shoes I have are boots, so I may be shoe shopping later on, although with the soggy forecast I may be able to get away with the boots!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Glamour

Stephanie: You sound like a real fashionista!!!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:08 AM
xxx

Shucks, I was hoping for sandals with big white toob sox.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:16 AM
yawn

Some of us wear sandals until it gets REALLY cold. Yes, in NY. Yes, even today, in light rain.
Suburban, is this a serious question?
If you think it's too cold and wet to wear sandals, don't. If you're not too hot in boots, do. Otherwise there's that huge category of items known as shoes. Pick a pair that's comfortable and that you think goes well with your outfit.Simple.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:19 AM
orgy7

how is it the women can buy so many shoes. I need a special pair just for NEW YORK and one for TOKYO.... NO NO I need another pair for eich place in case it gets fogy..

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:28 AM
uo

yawn, you got me. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! com'on, lets stop this nitty stuff. shoes are shoes. lets not make it science, goshhhhhhhhhh. who really care what anybody wear in the big apple. its a flexible city, lets not get all fashionsita about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:25 AM
suburban

Excuse me, but I am serious. I used to be quite fashionable when I worked and got dressed everyday. Now that I'm stuck in the suburbs carpooling and wiping noses all day, I've neglected my knowledge of fashion, and let my subscriptions to Vogue and W slide.

So yes, it is important to me that I don't look like Muffy the PTO president and resident tight-ass who's favorite store is Talbot's with a little Lily Pulitzer thrown in for good measure. Is that OK with you?

Now give the poor volvo driving, khaki wearing, make-up less faced ponytail sporting mom a break and help me out!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:41 AM
annie

Hi Surburban Mom:
I for one, never wear sandals in the NYC. Too easy to get those bare toes stepped on on crowded streets, subways and buses. Mind you, not all women agree with this premise. I have not seen too many sandals lately. Weather has been in the 70's. This weekend is not supposed to be too nice. Right now the weather is rainy and chilly. Boots are perfectly acceptable (except maybe those kind you see in ski lodges or in major snowstorms Walking around the city this weekend I would choose a nice pair of walking shoes and/or GASP sneakers!
Have a wonderful time here in my hometown!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Rudy'o

wait a minute there, I bet Surburban's got more moves that any NY chix

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:31 PM
NYGirl

Hi,
I can tell you what I wore today while having lunch with a friend on the West Side and what I saw being worn on the streets.
I wore a black cotton sweater, black trousers, and donald pliner shoes(leather heels & fabric toes)with a black lightweight trenchcoat.
My friend wore a black suit and carried an umbrella.She wore black leather walking shoes.
Around me people were wearing light rain jackets, a couple of khaki rain coats with tight jeans and cotton sweaters. One girl was wearing a really cute tight brown skirt with a tiny ruffle on the hem (at the knee) with a beige cotton sweater and an umbrella.

Mostly people are dressed very casually with jackets or umbrellas. Shoes ranged from sneakers to leather.
Sorry but I did not see one Mary Jane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information