Family Weekend in Vegas

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Weekend in Vegas

My family is traveling in Arizona this September and are winding up our trip in Las Vegas. My sister and I are in our mid twenties, and will be traveling with my parents. Can anyone provide suggestions of a good hotel to stay at. We aren't big gamblers, but I would like to stay somewhere we can get the full experience. Also after a few days of camping and hiking in AZ, it would be nice to have a nice pool to lounge by. And finally, any family friendly shows you could recommend would be a great help. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:36 AM

For shows, O, Mystere, Blue Man or Mamma Mia. There are several nice hotels with decent pool, much depends on you hotel budget. Prices tend to be high on the weekends.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:42 AM

If you want a great pool, Mandalay Bay, Mirage and Flamingo have excellent facilities. Bellagio and Caesars are nice, too. Bellagio, Caesars and Mandalay would give you the "Full Experience" in the sense of new mega resort facilities, excellent restaurants to choose from ,attraction, shopping, etc. It all depends when you're going, what you're looking to spend, and what your interests are. These places can be $79 one night and $499 the next. Fri-Sat are always pricey. Cheapovegas.com offers pretty good analysis of the hotels.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. I have heard great things about Mamma Mia, do you know where it is playing and the best way to get tickets??

Second, we will need too rooms, and I was trying to keep it under like $150 per night. Do you have any preferences of your own?? Your favorite places to stay, and why??
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

to clarify, two rooms, $150 per night per room.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Mama Mia is at Mandalay Bay. Try and get tix straight thru them otherwise Ticketmaster. You might be able to avoid some ridiculous fees if you get them directly through the hotel. As for your $150 hotel room, are you staying weekdays or weekend? It makes all the difference...
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:47 AM

The pricest are highest and Fridays and Saturdays. The drop on Sundays. You can average $150/night at some of the better hotels. MandalayBay.com has a calendar with prices for each day just to give you an idea. All check some of the booking services and call hotels you are interested in directly. Prices vary quite a bit. If you call, ask for special discounts (AAA, etc.). You should also check to see if there are 2 bedroom suites. the price may be better than 2 separate rooms.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Mamma Mia is so fun! I saw it in San Fran last year. It won't have you rethinking your position on the theory of relativity or anything, but when I saw it the audience was standing up and dancing by the finale.

Paris is a great hotel too. I like the location. The pool is nothing fancy, but it's big. Don't know if you are interested in the spa, but it's one of the best.

I'm from AZ..where are you camping?

snarla
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thursday and Friday night. Two bedroom suites are a good idea.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

cheapovegas.com is an EXCELLENT site!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:55 AM

You might want to seriously consider Mandalay Bay. The nightlife there caters to 20/30 somethings, while there is sophisticated dining, too. The pool is arguably the best in town - lazy river, wave pool. There's a good spa, the shark reef attraction, and for family shows, Mama Mia is at Mandalay and Blue Man Group is next door at Luxor and there's an indoor passage connecting the 2. The negatives are:

Location - it's at the end of the strip and if you want to get to the heart, you'll have to drive or cab it. It's no big deal but some people really like to be within walking distance of Caesars, Bellagio and Venetian.

Shopping - The shops at Caesars, Venetian and Aladdin are a big draw, there's only a few gift shops in Mandalay.

Generally speaking, a 2 bedroom suite at any of the major resorts will be much more than 2 separate rooms. Mirage has then and they run $600/nt.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into the Flamingo which was formerly a Hilton. Perfect location, easy to navigate in and out of (unlike some of the MAZE hotels in Vegas) , great pool area that won't be crowded with kids in September.

Charo's show at the Aladdin is spectacular old-style Vegas fun, and her acoustic guitar is breathtaking.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Try Ballys. We were there last week on a promotion called "Vintage Ballys". I booked it on lasvegas.com, but they messed it up & the f/o manager told me they offered the same package AT A LOWER RATE. Call them direct. We paid 59/59/95 for the 3 nights (last night was a Friday), it included "Jubilee" tickets @2 for the price of 1; and $50 in F&B credits. We got a beautiful upgraded room. I can't wait to go back there. It was the best.