Family vacation to Tarpon Springs...Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling to Tarpon Springs Nov. 10-16 this year with the whole family. Two parents (mid 50s), sister (27), brother (33), husband (30), me (30) and son (2). Trying to find things to interest all of us and dinner suggestions that aren't too far from Tarpon Springs, good for kids, but still nice for a night out. We're not real lay on the beach people since we live on the coast already.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I assume that you know that Tarpon Springs was settled by a large colony of Greek sponge divers. The area along the waterfront is picturesque with the many sponge boats docked there. There is a good restaurant on the waterfront on Dodacadese St. called Mykenos. It is a good dinner spot, casual so your kids will fit right in. Another place I've heard is good is Mr. Souvlaki. It looks kid-friendly.

I don't know places to recommend there, but you are less than an hour from Tampa. The north-south road there (US 19) is generally packed with stop-and-go traffic so beware if you decide to go to either Clearwater or St. Pete. Weeki Wachee is not too far away. It would be an OK day trip, but don't be expecting too much in the way of tourism. It is a rather folksy theme park with a beautiful grounds.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I remember eating on the Tarpon Springs boardwalk years ago and eating the best Greek food I've ever had. Delicious.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I agree w/what was said above by both.

I lived in New Port Richey just north of Tarpon Springs-- visited many times w/my boys when they were about 5-7. Went out on excursion w/original Greek diving equipment & sponge hunting. Not too much to do there personally. The food was great but the shopping is very touristy and more "kid" oriented or for those who like to collect "stuff"
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll take note of all of your suggestions.