Family vacation in Key West

Old May 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family vacation in Key West

I am considering a family vacation in Key West first week in August. My kids are 22, 20 and 16. Looking mainly to relax and hang out, go snorkeling, and do a little sightseeing. I'm looking for recommendations for a hotel/resort with a nice pool and beach. Especially interested in something convenient where the older kids could get around by themselves. Our friends recommended the Wyndham. All suggestions/thoughts and recommendations are welcome.
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Wyndham and Hyatt are good. None of the hotels are on the beach in Key West but all is close. Lots of great side trips from key west (snorkeling, fishing, sunset cruise, etc).
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:05 PM

I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you but there are no real beaches in Key West. The island is built on coral.

Big resorts and hotels on the island truck in sand from some other place to create a beach. It's all fake!

Just like Elaine's orgasm's in the Seinfeld episode "Fake...Fake...and Fake"
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Key West is not a 'beach' destination but Bahai Honda does have some decent beaches which are close-by if you have a car. Key West, as a whole, is also entirely walkable. I would think deals would abound for that time of year.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
GoTravel

Actually, either the Wyndham Reach or Wyndham Casa Marina in Key West has its own beach but I use the term beach very loosely.

Go to the Wyndham.com website and there is one of those 360 degree cameras and you can view the beach.

Agree with the others, beach is a relative term for the Florida Keys.