Family vacation

Oct 1st, 2000, 01:02 PM
Toby

Family vacation

We are planning a trip with our 2 kids (ages 8 and 4). We would like to go in April to San Diego, Disneyland and LA. We plan to be away for approximately 7-9 days. We live in NY so we can fly into either San Diego or LA. We thought we'd spend 3 days in San Diego, 3 days in LA and 2 days in Disney. Any suggestions on where to stay, what to see and how to travel between cities? Thanks.

Oct 1st, 2000, 01:40 PM
Barb

I always prefer to stay at the Disneyland hotel properties. Although they are more expensive, the convenience is great. You can easily take the monorail or tram back to hotel for a break at busy times, relax by the pool and return to the park whenever you want without having to wait forever for a shuttle off-site. AAA often has good deals on Disneyland packages. Your 4 yr old may definitely need to come back to the hotel and rest a bit before returning to the park. Schedule a character breakfast at Goofy's kitchen if your kids like the characters. You don't need a car at Disneyland and there is a shuttle between LAX, Orange County airport and Disneyland, but once you leave Disneyland, you will definitely need a car for the rest of LA and San Diego. I would drive from LA to San Diego or vice versa. It's about a 2 hr drive from Disneyland to San Diego during non-commute time. In San Diego, my favorite activity is the SD Zoo. An incredible place, don't miss it. There is also the Wild Animal Park which should be a pleasant temperature in April and Sea World, All 3 are worth a visit, but I would prioritize it as 1) Zoo, 2) Seaworld, 3)Wild Animal Park. You may be somewhat burned out on theme parks by this point so you might opt for 1 - 2 activities and spend a day near the beach in La Jolla, exploring the lighthouse in the Point Loma area or other sightseeing within San Diego. I like to stay at the Hyatt Islandia (get a room with a view of the roller coaster)at Mission Bay, Paradise Point (formerly Princess Resort - I haven't stayed here since they remodelled) and the Mission Bay Hilton Resort. I would also try the Embassy Suites downtown, especially nice wit 4 of you and it includes breakfast. I have tried to get in there several times but they happened to be booked on my dates - Good downtown location. Seaport village is nearby, although it's touristy, the kids will like the carousel.

Oct 6th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Anna

We are planning to do this same trip next year with our 2 kids. We lived in LA years ago and have travelled back there many times... here is our plan. Once you tell kids they are going to Disneyland I found it best to GET there, so fly into LAX & take shuttle (no need for car yet). Last time we arrived mid afternoon and checked into the hotel then went to the park from 5:00 to closing and caught the fireworks and nighttime entertainment and the kids 'got their bearings'. Kids were exhausted by 10, but ready to go the next morning. GO EARLY TO THE PARK. Can't stress that enough. Be there when it opens. We did 4 major (long line) rides in 1-1/2 hours. Then you can go back to the hotel mid-afternoon for a break/nap/swim and return for or after dinner (food (especially snacks)in park very $$, not great, but not too bad). We are very budget conscious & can't afford beautiful D'ld Hotel (worth it if you can), but we always stay in the Homestead Inn on Clementine St(see pics on Expedia). They are definitely mid range accomodations, clean not fancy, but we like the room layout. Two dbl beds with a 'glass' wall dividing the room into sleeping and sofa areas. Some can sleep while others watch TV in the "living area", but there are TV's in both 'rooms'. This worked great with kids. Never used pool.Under the building overhang, kind of in the parking lot, not in the sun, but we aren't there for the pool. We always partake of the free 'breakfast', again, nothing fancy; dry scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, dry cereal, juice. Bargain lovers fare. It gets us going.
LA - my husband just enjoyed his stay at the 'LeMontrose' hotel in Hollywood(?) & would stay there again. They have a website. Mid to high end $. I would take the kids 8 & 4, to Venice Beach (lots of 'weird' things and people to see), Santa Monica pier, beach & promonade (since they are next to each other) Mann's Chinese Theatre (if they are familiar with 'who's who'), La Brea Tar Pits, but definitely Universal Studios. They'll love it. We haven't been since mid 80's so are going back there ourselves. You can spend one of your LA days just 'driving around'.
San Diego is my fav city. I agree 100% with the other response on all the sites there. I also will add that I like wandering in Old Town. Many good Mex restaurants there and neat shops. Coronado is pretty, kids may like the bridge drive over there. A friend took 3 & 6 year olds to Legoland last year and the 6 yr old (girl) loved it. LA can be more of an adult town if kids get bored easily. We plan to spend 3 days in D'land & Knotts Berry Farm, drive to S.D. 3rd night, for 3 days, one day to drive back to LA, taking Pacific Coast Hwy (many stoplights, but much Calif flavor)& 2 in LA, including flying home day. Feel free to e-mail me for any clarifications. Have fun!

Jan 15th, 2001, 05:49 PM
TOBY

WAS SCROLLING DOWN SITE AND FORGOTTEN i HAD POSTED THIS!!! THANK YOU FOR THE REPONSES..THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL! HERE ARE THE UPDATES..WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FURTHER INPUT. WE ARE FLYING INTO L.A. AND GOING RIGHT TO DISNEY, THE PARADISE PIER HOTEL ON THE PROPERTY..WE WILL BE HERE 3 NITES. WE ARE THEN PLANNING TO GO TO SAN DIEGO FOR 4 NITES AND ARE PROBABLY STAYING AT THE PARADISE POINT RESORT...ANY REVIEWS ON THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. WE ARE THEN ENDING UP IN L.A...WE HAVE NOT SETTLED ON A HOTEL THERE YET. FROM ALL THE POSTINGS, WE ARE BEST OFF NEAR THE STUDIOS, THE HYATT OR SHERATON..WOULD LIKE ADVICE ON THAT TOO. THANKS EVERYONE..

Feb 6th, 2001, 09:37 AM
dcfromva

I can help with a suggestion while you are at Disneyland. The new Grand Californian Hotel is the happening place to be. This is an absolutely beautiful hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and it is the closest place to either Disneyland or the new California Adventure Park. The hotel has an exclusive to guests entrance to the new park. You will love it.
-DC from VA

Feb 6th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Sara

Children in that age range would likely enjoy going to LegoLand in Carlsbad (30 miles north of San Diego). It would be on the way to or from Disneyland. Not cheap, but very popular destination for younger children.

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
lisa

my family is trying to plan a vaction to disneyland,sea world, and the queen mary.their is 4 families 1 family of 5 3adults and 2 children ages 13,14 the next famil as 2 adults 1 child age7 and the next has 2 adults, the next has 1 adult and 1 child age 16. we are looking at plane tickets,hotel,and to rent a van. it would be from may 25-31. could you help me finding a plan to get us all their. where i can at least start looking for all of us. any help would be great. again thanks for reading this. hope to here from you soon.

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:08 AM
jp

If its not too late...We stayed at Paradise Pier hotel last year. Not that impressed, however, loc'n is great right across the street from CA Adventure and you have a private entrance into the park which is wonderful. If I went back, I would consider the Grand Californian. It seemed like a better bet. The Paradise Pier is an older hotel that has been renovated a few times. Have fun, JP