Does anyone under 50 ever visit Hawaii?

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Caroline

Does anyone under 50 ever visit Hawaii?

I promise this is not a troll, and I'm not trying to make disparaging remarks about Hawaii because even though I've never been, I know it's a spectacular place. My parents absolutely love it and have traveled the world. But it does seem like Hawaii is more of a destination for the over 50 crowd. Is this true? I'm scheduled to go there in June and am very excited. I'm sure it's an exquisite place, but is there enough to do to keep two people in their early 30s occupied and happy? We want to do some adventurous stuff like hiking and SCUBA, but also want to do local stuff like luaus. Will we be the only somewhat young people there? We'll be staying on Oahu near Honolulu. I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Pamela

Well, you have picked a good place for your age group. Honolulu is more hustle and bustle than relaxing. It's more like a big city. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and clubs. I went to Oahu and Maui when I was 17 and thought Oahu was the best. Last year, my boyfriend took me to Maui (I was 30 then) and I must say that Maui is my favorite. We're not people who like to just lie on the beach and relax. We stayed in the Kaanapali area of Maui and found that we had the best of both worlds on that island. There was enough to keep busy and "party" and then there was opportunities for quiet times. You'll have a blast!

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Caroline's Friend

Where in the world did you ever acquire your perception of Hawaii as being visited only by those over 50?
If you'd spent 15 minutes reading the titles of this forum, you would see dozens of questions about getting married in Hawaii, honeymooning in Hawaii, people with kids seeking moderate accommodations and food.
Do yourself a favor and use the TEXT SEARCH feature.
Just type in
Hawaii
and get all previous questions/answers on the state. You can narrow you search and just type in OAHU but you'll miss some good stuff.

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:28 PM
ol

You are right. Biking down Haleakala, diving at Molikini, hiking the Napali, Zodiac rides in 10' waves, wind and para surfing, wave-riding at 40mph, hiking through active lava flows, walking up to Diamondhead, and kayaking the Wailua river, and partying in Lahaina all night long are ALL designed to appeal to the over 50 traveler.

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:25 PM
old

Are you for real? Isn't Hawaii the #1 honeymoon spot? It is beautiful and there are tons of things to do. Perhaps you should start looking up information on the internet or get a book at the library.

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Caroline

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I just never knew much about Hawaii. Ol, you mention "walking up to Diamondhead." Is that a pretty strenuous hike? We're really into hiking.

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:55 PM
xxx

I think this was Caroline's approach to find out all there is to do in Hawaii. Looks like she didnt have to do a text search after all!

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Peter

Caroline -

Where else have you gone diving in the past? Maybe if you can tell us what you liked/disliked about those destinations, we can point you in the right direction.

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:30 PM
notelderly

Don't know about Oahu because I didn't want the hustle and bustle of the big city in my early thirties. Have now made 4 trips by my mid thirties to all but Molokai and Lanai. The only thing you need that many thirty-somethings may not have is money--for the resorts, dining, golf, helicopter rides. Hawaii is expensive but not boring.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Frank

yes but not elderly you can still have a great time on the cheap if you hike, snorkle, swim ect and rent at condos. There is even a no frills lodge called kokee (state run)that is just $35 a night. Expensive only comes in if you want to take part in commercial tours or

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Paula

Hey!!!! Just because someone is over the big 50 doesn't mean that they are ready for the grave. I go to Hawaii at least yearly and enjoy Oahu a lot. I swim, scuba, and snorkle. Believe it or not Ms 30 Something....there is Life After 49. Most of my 50 something friends are quite active (some even climb mountains) Age is a number, My grandmother is 92, lives alone and still drives a car!!! As the others have explained, Hawaii can be expensive, therefore, you don't have the college crowds of Cancun or Jamaica. You know when the young people converge on a place and throw wild parties....booze it up...trash the hotels. I will let you in or a secret I'm Glad!!!! I would hate to see such a wonderful paradise ruin by "The Younger People". You know...Those Under 50 who still have a life and often ruin life for everyone else!!!! Wait until you reach age 49 (I pray that God will allow you to reach that age) and you will more than likely have a different perspective on people 50 and over.

Proud To Be Old and Still Alive & Active
Paula