Family Vacation

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Vacation

We are planning a driving vacation in Colorado at the beginning of June. We have a family of 4 with a 7 year old and a 10 year old. We will start at Rocky Mtn Park then on to Vail/Aspen and Colorado Springs. Any thing we should definately see? I was thinking about taking a rafting trip and a train ride. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Hi suzyroh,

Try reposting with "Colorado" in the title of your post; you'll probably get more responses that way.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM

The Auto Club has a terrific map called "Indian Country" it has great places to visit. Mostly in the "4 corner's area" but things in Colorado too. The Denver Art museum is wonderful and there is a science and climate lab in the mountains outside of Boulder that is very kid friendly
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM

That is not a real straight line but will take you through some pretty country. Some things that might appear to your sons -- Model railroad museum in Golden. The train and especially the silver mine at Georgetown is great. Tiny Town just west of Denver on 285 is totally geared to kids. There is a big slide on Peak 8 at Breckenridge but could still be covered by snow. There is outdoor museum of old things just over Hooiser pass at Alma. I am sure they would like the big outdoor hot springs pool at Glenwood Springs. The cog railroad to Pike's Peak is good. The best rafting would be out of Buena Vista through Brown's Canyon. Vail and Aspen will be a little boring for the boys. What may be open may depend on how early in June you are. We have had our heaviest snow fall in several decades in the mountain so we could still have a lot of snow. And if it isn't snow, it will be water and mud. A big concern is flooding especially if the warm up is too fast.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I'd highly recommend rafting... although the water might be high and fast at that time, so if your 7 year old isn't the daring type, it may not be for you. 7 is usually the minimum age for rafting, but some companies require them to be 8, so do your homework. With some companies, it depends on the weight of the child too. We've rafted the buena vista area (arkansas) as well as out of estes.

If you want a tamer raft trip, consider rapid transit rafting out of estes - they bus you from estes to either to the poudre river or to the colorado (which is pretty tame, as rafting rivers go).

RMNP is great, if you need ideas for that area, i'd suggest rmnpforums.com - awesome website full of info. For sure drive trail ridge road and do some shorter hikes.