family trip to cali

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
family trip to cali

My husband and I are taking a family trip to California in May. First we're going on a family cruise from LA to Mexico, but then we wanted to stay in CA for about a week to see some sites. Our daugther will be 19 months. I've been out there before, but my husband has not and would like to see some sites. I was thinking to stay near LA after the cruise (maybe 3 days) and then drive up to San Francisco (maybe 4 days). In both areas we would rent a car and are willing to take day trips - maybe San Diego. We don't care much for wine and with a small child we don't need to see that part of CA, but do you have any suggestions?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM

The obvious with a 19 month old would be Disneyland. At a year I say they might be too young, but I have taken all 3 of mine at that age and they all have fun. Especially if you will be there when school is still in and not over Memorial Day, it won't be too crowded, great time to go with toddlers. What about a day at the beach, my kids love the beach and in May it should be plenty warm enough.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
ltt

19 months is too young in my opinion for disneyland. i wouldn't waste the time.
find a rental car company that doesn't charge too much of a drop off fee and drive up the coast from la to san fran.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM

19 months is a fun age for a day at Disneyland. The child won't remember it but you will, and you'll have photos and stories to share with the child.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah, Ive been to disney land and for my family it was still a blast. The only problem is the 1 ride you always want to go on is busted.
Something that I have found useful in finding entertainment for the family is an entertainment book. I found a deal on one that actually can make it almost half price. treasuretrooper.com/8597 has the deal, theres a $20 dollar book you can sign up for, and TreasureTrooper will give you $8 back. You have to sign up for the site to get the money back, but the good news is its a free site. I personally did this, and it has helped.
I usually wouldn't advertise like this, but I feel that it actually would help you figure out what you would like to do. I hope this can help you sort out yoru delima.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM

cali?????? You've got to be kidding.

Curious
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM

For some reason Cali seems to be the "in" name for some that live outside of California. Guess it is like "Frisco".

I can't get use to it however and don't like it..but guess we California natives will have to get use to it, like it or not. Have a fun trip greenturtle.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
bawc

We are planning to go with out 2 1/2 y.o. in January. Friends of ours who live out there suggested the Huntington Library, the outside gardens are supposed to be lovely, and you child can run off a lot of energy. Since we live in NYC, we always take him to museums, great space of a rainy day!
Hope this helps!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
I find that most folks who use "Cali" are from outside the US, and/or may not be familiar with the "real" Cali, the city in Colombia, where BTW I would not likely take little kids.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
aggiemom

I was wondering why I see "Cali" so often now! I lived there for 20 years and never heard it. Nice to know that I'm not alone.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Often "cali" folks are also "the OC" folks. Yuk on both fronts - makes me cringe . . . . .

They're not just from outside the States, though.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
aggiemom

Yeah, I never said I live in "the OC" either!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM

other coast??
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

At 19 months, what will one remember? Take the trip for mommy and daddy. California is great, I've been at least once for the last 3 years and love it. Did the drive up the coast last year - flew into LA, immediately went to Santa Barbara - Stearns Wharf, beautiful strolls on the beach, Sundays will provide a great art show on the beach! Make sure you visit Santa Ynez and Solvang. Beautiful areas.

Then head up the coast to Monterey...stay on Cannery Row, go to the aquarium, take the 17 mile drive, visit pebble beach, head over to Carmel for lunch.

After a couple days in Monterey, head up to San Fran.

Take the pacific coast highway - make sure the weather permits. We were turned back by Big Sur because of land slides.

One of my most memorable trips thus far!!! 8-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM

San Simeon should be on your agenda.

It is San Francisco. Not San Fran.

-Bill
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
ltr

You may want to check out the Huntington Library website. The Gallery is currently closed and they do not yet have a date to reopen. Some of the better known paintings are in a temporary exhibit. Also, they are building some new gardens and the pictures on the website shows earthmoving equipment. I haven't driven by lately so I am not sure what stage this work is in, but it probably would not be very much fun for a 2 1/2 year old if it is still under construction.

You may also want to look at the Arboreteum in Arcadia, if you are just looking for a garden type setting. They use this site for movies alot.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone for your input. Oh, by the way...I was just tired and didn't feel like typing California, call me lazy. I don't classify myself as the "OC" type - don't assume.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM

We've taken our toddler to Disneyland and we've had fun (she likes Its A Small World, The Tiki Room, Dumbo and the Carousel, at California Adventure she usually spends alot of time at the Wilderness park, Flik's Fun Fair and again the carousel). We live in Southern Cal but we still stay at one of the hotels as it makes it easier for afternoon naps, and pool time.

We visited Huntington Gardens last fall and our toddler enjoyed the children's garden (lots of water features geared towards kids). We also love Descanso Gardens in La Canada (near Pasadena), our toddler loves the small train and we like the Oak grove, rose gardens and Patina cafe. Other favorites: Kidspace Museum (in Pasadena)(perhaps better for the pre-school set but they do have a toddler room, and also a decent cafe) and the LA Zoo which also has a somewhat hidden but decent playground.

The drive to SF might be a little long for a young one but we've driven that far and if you really want to see both cities I say go for it. I would not also try to squeeze in San Diego (but I would consider it as an alternative to SF - it has lots of attractions and is a much shorter drive than SF).
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM

A good abreviation for California is CA.

I don't know why, but in California we get really touchy about shortened names like Cali, San Fran, and Frisco. We are just weird, I guess. Not to worry though, although quirky, overall, we are pretty nice people

Have a good trip!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM

I would try to make it a priority to go to Disney Land, your daughter will like that! Have fun! California is a beautiful place!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information