Family skiing: how do you do it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am interested in the Fodorites methods/modus operandi for family skiing. I have two children and we are going to have our second season skiing with them. We took them to Grey Rocks in Jan and had a great time, but this time we'd like more challenging skiing for the adults while still have lessons etc. for the kids. Other than Club Med Crested Butte there don't seem to be any other places in the states with all inclusive type lodging. So, y'all must stay in condos. How do you manage meals? Who cooks and cleans? Isn't it harder? I ask because it looks like the type of place I like will always mean a European ski trip. Thanks for all advice and comments.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I don't know what ages your kids are--that can really impact a ski trip. We go to Colorado and taken an assortment of our teenage nieces and nephews and one elementary age niece along. When on our own, we travel to different resorts, but when taking the kids we stick to the resort we know best to minimize hassles--for us that is Winter Park.

It gives us a reasonable drive from a major airport so we don't usually have to contend with many delays. We can stop in Denver at the WalMart if anyone forgot anything essential and just remembered upon landing.

I rent a condo directly from an owner from an Internet site such as vrbo. We stop at the supermarket the first night and only buy food we know everyone will eat for breakfast, some snacks and that night's dinner. We let the kids make a lot of the choices and tell them they get to help prepare and cook their choices.

We also get rental skis that day, show the kids around the resort and town, etc. to get them comfortable and remind them of where things are.

Getting everyone dressed and outfitted the first day of skiing is always the biggest challenge. Even though we rent a vehicle, we often take the bus to the slopes so the kids will get comfortable with it in case the older ones need to make a trip on their own.

The youngest we sign up for full day ski school and drop her off for the day before we place anyone else in lessons. We always ski in pairs based on ability, arranging a time and place for our lunch gathering. We more experienced skiers plan our day around the newbies lessons and slopes. At lunch we regroup and send anyone home who is tired or injured and send the rest out for the afternoon under adult supervision. I sometimes only get to ski half day if I need to accompany someone down the mountain and back to the condo. My husband sometimes only gets a half day on the bumps, then supervises the teenagers on the greens to easy blues. We tend to end the day early, retreive the little one from the ski school, and head back to the condo for showers and dinner.

We are strict about where clothing and equipment go to contain the clutter and water. The kids are usually tired and glad just to have a dinner of macaroni and cheese, a take-out pizza, or whatever. We split up who sets table, washes dishes, etc.

When we leave we split up putting away dishes, gathering the garbage, etc. They complain that they leave the condo cleaner than their homes and that is probably true--they are used to Mom picking up after them at home.

It's worked great for us so long as I'm not too disappointed at giving up a half day here and there to take a tired one home or take a Snocat tour with one who has an upset stomach.

We always plan to do tubing and other activities, but we take short trips and by the time we get there, get outfitted, ski, eat, go shopping (essential for teenagers), they are ready just to play some board games for the evening.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM

We never did an "all-inclusive" type place with our kids. Most of the major areas in the west have all-day (or half-day) kids programs. In our case, we rarely rented a condo, it was usually a house or cabin, sometimes a hotel. In either case, we'd tend to fix some simple meals and eat out the rest.

As Kay notes, you can't be obsessed with getting the maximum skiing hours for yourself; like most things as a family, there are compromises.

Two areas that we found well suited to families were Northstar at Lake Tahoe, and Mt Bachelor in central Oregon. Batchelor doesn't have slopeside lodging, but I think it had the best kids programs and facilities.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 03:06 PM

We rent a condo for the space, and to be able to eat breakfast quickly and have snacks. Sometimes we buy stuff to pack lunches.

We always eat dinner in restaurants. When the kids were old enough to be left alone, we would give them the option of having a pizza delivered rather than eat out with us.

I also love Winter Park. Our favorite place to stay there is Timber House Lodge, which includes a full breakfast, afternoon snacks and dinner. Very relaxing for mom.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:41 PM

I take my kids to ski school for at least one whole day. I've found the little ones often like hanging with the other kids more than trying to keep up with adults/bigger siblings.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:14 PM

We've been skiing with our boys since they were toddlers. We've always stayed in Condo's. Space is better for one, having a kitchen or even a kitchenette was great since it allowed us to have breakfast right away in the morning when little ones can't wait and snacks right when we returned after the day's skiing. The boys usually went to ski school for full days until they could keep up with the adults and of course, they began to speed past within a few years. We did always splurge and rented within a block of the lifts/base or in a ski-in/ski-out location. We normally took lunches on the mountain in a backpack but then ate out most nights - except for the traditional spaghetti dinner. When we shared condos' with friends, the cooking was split and we'd eat out several nights as well. The guys cleaned up afterwards and it all just worked. We've taken them to Whistler, Steamboat, Telluride, Vail, Snowmass, Aspen, Crested Butte, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge; you'll find great ski schools and plenty of challenging runs. Just rent a place really close to the slopes with a fireplace and either a hot tub or outdoor pool - it will be a blast!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 06:26 AM
KMK

I think some of the lodges at Alta (Utah) have all inclusive packages - lodging, meals, lift tickets. You would also then have the option to ski at Snowbird as well, potentially. I don't think you would be disappointed in the terrain or snow there, and I think Alta is supposed to have a very well regarded ski school.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I have very little to add to all the good advice in the above posts. Kay really hit it all. When our kids were young we took them to Colorado to ski--they were already pretty good skiiers but still put them in ski school--it just jump starts their abilities. We parents, being the green and blue skiiers--would meet them for lunch on the mountain. We either carried something or bought it. We usually cooked dinner in the condo. Snowmass is a good place to consider since there is Buttermilk for the very novice skiier and Snowmass for all terrain. I think all ski areas have good ski schools. And Winter Park is a great idea too--daughter was an instructor there for a year. It is very much of a family place and only an hour from Denver.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Kay gave great advice. Crested Butte is one of my absolute favorite ski resorts. The Club Med has the best location in Crested Butte. Personally, I prefer to rent a condo and not do the all-inclusive. It takes away from the option of eating out at the Local restaurants. Last time we were in Crested Butte I heard that Club Med had had a negative effect on the local restaurant's business. Club Med was previously the Grand Butte Hotel. The Club Med did appear to have great kids programs. If you don't have to have the all-inclusive try the Shearton at Crested Butte. Get a King Suite room - King bed in bedroom and sleeper sofa in living room with kitchenette area or rent a condo. We have also used VRBO.com. You can ride the complimentary busses to town in the evening for dinner or there are a few places to eat on the mountain. Most all the Colorado resorts have all day ski lessons for the kids - these are usually 10:00 to 4:00. If the kids are in lessons you can ski the terrain you want. We would usually ski with the kids the last couple of days on the slopes they were comfortable on. You don't say how old your kids are. I've only been to Winter Park once and we didn't have our kids with us that trip. I didn't like Winter Park because there was no town. The resort did seem to cater to families. Another Colorado option is Beaver Run Resort at Breckenridge. This is a great ski-in/ski-out location with ground floor ski lockers an indoor pool and I think indoor putt-putt golf. We stayed there 16 years ago when our kids were very young. Breckenridge gets really crowded at Spring Break and Christmas, but January should be fine. Another plus for Crested Butte, if you don't do Club Med, is that kids pay their age for lift tickets. If you have an eight year old their lift ticket is only $8.00. They used to do free lift tickets before Christmas but I think they have cut that out.

As far as who cooks and cleans. If you rent a condo you won't have maid service daily so you have to pick up after yourselves. This as never been a problem for us and the extra space is definitely a plus. We normally have breakfast in and pack a back pack with sandwiches for lunch on the mountain. You can buy lunch at the cafeterias on the mountain, but you sure pay for it. We usually just buy our drinks there. At night you can have pizza delivered, get Chinese take-out or go out to eat.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you so much for the info. I have to read it a couple times to soak it all in. The objective is to spend as much no stress, fun time with the kids as possible. I don't feel qualified to teach them to ski, so I want a good kids program, and we found that Grey Rocks was phenomenal for that, it's just that their runs are very short and I grew up skiing in Europe with those long runs. We were tired at the end of the day though and it was great not having to even think about cooking or going out. My kids are 6 and 9. I am guessing that we'll either end up in Europe or check out Abrams recommendation (thanks so much) but I am going to think hard about it. Maybe a slopeside hotel with a kitchenette and a great restaurant? Once my kids are older it is a no brainer, but getting them in their gear, on the skis in the right place, checking on them twice during lessons (it is really cold in Quebec in Jan) well, an all inclusive was really easy. My only qualm about Crested Butte Club Med is the altitude. Apparently it could be kind of hard on the kids? Cold, runny noses, getting exhausted early in the day etc. We're from the east coast. Once again, thanks for all of the info. Lots to think about! Kay2 your specifics were great!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:22 PM

Our neighborhood does a traditional ski trip each year to Park City, Utah. We are talking 25 families with children of all different ages and it is a blast which I hope we never stop doing. First, we fly Southwest Airlines because typically kids can fly and ski for free. Second we stay at a resort within a block of the lifts, our choice is park avenue condos, but there is a great marriot there at the resort that has a restaurant as well as kitchen. families rent either individually or hook-up with another family. The ski school at park city is excellent and will keep the kids all day so you can ski. My children, ages 7 and 12 have never complained and they have been going for the past 4 years. Plus there is a lot of variety in the runs and the snow is really dry so it makes for excellent skiiing. Salt Lake city is a short drive away so it is easy for getting in and out. As far as food, there is a great grocery store across from the park avenue condos and we buy breakfast food. For lunch we do the resort (lots of choices and the food is excellent), for dinner we do a variety of take-out or go out to eat. We find Park City to be a good choice because there is Old Town Park City with lots of restaurants, winter olympic things to see and do and just a lot of variety in activites. Hope you have fun, itsv
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:04 AM

Altitude will be a "problem" anywhere out west. You take it easy the first day and then it is okay. Our kids never missed a beat--we did!! The ski schools take care of the kids--bring them inside for lunch, etc. I never checked on mine--and didn't check on my granddaughter (4 years old) this February--on an incredibly cold day at Keystone.
Kudos to the neighborhood ski trip--what a concept!!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:59 AM

I don't have a lot to add about juggling the kids since my DD is only 9 mos old (although I'm noting all of the wonderful advice here for the future!). But I wanted to put in another vote for Park City, Utah.

First off, it is a very short drive from the Salt Lake airport. This is key because you won't have a long drive once you get there and you also don't have to worry about the weather impacting your travel in or out to the airport.

Second, the Park City "area" has 3 resorts -- Deer Valley, Park City Mountain and the Canyons. There is really something for every skier at every level. Park City also has a cute little town with dozens of shops, restaurants, bars, so there is plenty to do in the evening or on a day when your kids don't want to ski anymore. Also, the town has a wonderful, free bus system that will get you to Deer Valley, Park City Mountain and the town easily from many hotels/condos. Very handy.

Park City Mountain Resort has a children's ski school that is all-day. I see the kids on the slopes with the instructors and they really look to be having lots of fun.

Deer Valley prohibits snowboarders if that is appealing to you while your kids are still learning.

We usually rent condos and there are lots of options there -- ski in/ski out, in town, near the bus route, etc. There are also hotels. The Canyons is more a resort with the condos/hotel rooms right there (ski in/ski out).

HTH!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM

The Lake Tahoe resorts can be a good choice for younger kids. The altitude is lower than most of the Rockies areas, and it is definitely quite a bit warmer. The storms tend to move through quickly, so one day will have a dump of a foot or two of snow, and the next few days will be sunny and 35-50F. You might check out Sugar Bowl for all-inclusive packages in the Tahoe area; Squaw Valley, Northstar, and Kirkwood might have some as well.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:14 PM

You got good information here. I 2nd the get a condo suggestion. Try and stay slopeside so all can come and go as they please. Much less stress that way. We often have visitors of all ages and it is nice not to have to be "tour director" all the time. Someone mentioned vrbo.com which does have tons of listings also check out http://www.valuevacationrentals.com/...on-rentals.htm

If you stay at a resort, while not all inclusive you will find many activites onsite other than skiing, plus many places to dine within walking distance, though not so much at winter Park.

Anyway I hope you have a fun filled stress free holiday!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:53 PM

All of "out west" is not the same when it comes to altitude.

Steamboat Springs, Lake Tahoe and Park City are at about 7000 feet, which is significantly easier to adjust to (if you're sensitive to altitude) than Winter Park and Summitt County at 9500 feet.

To really take altitude out of the equation, go to Whistler-Blackcomb, where the base is 2200 feet, and the American dollar goes farther.