Ski w/preschoolers. Location ideas needed.

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski w/preschoolers. Location ideas needed.

We're planning a family ski vacation when kids will be 4 1/2 and 3. The parents are beginner/intermediate and intermediate/expert. Would like to narrow it to Colorado for starters. Am interested in a destination that does not have snowboarders or high test skiers bowling us over. A place that has a village feel but not too trendy/expensive. A place that offers some sort of ski school and childcare for the kids would be great. Looking to find a resort area place to cook meals, yet dine out if we choose. Any suggestions? I'm overwhelmed by the websites. They all look great!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Get those kids on skis!!!!!!

With your criteria, I'd narrow it down to these 4 (not in any particular order):

Keystone
Steamboat Springs
Snowmass
and
Winter Park
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Snowmass, Snowmass, Snowmass. Great babysitting and ski school for kids. There are snowboarders but the mountain is huge and you won't feel like you are being bowled over. Lots of condos directly on the mountain.

Nice little Village mall for getting a slice of pizza or a fancy meal. Easy to navigate.

The best place to start is www.aspensnowmass.com where there are links to many accomadations. You can buy lift tickets, lessons, and rent equipment online.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Not sure if you want to put the kids in ski school. If so, find out who takes 3 year olds. Many won't (unless you pay for a private lesson). All the resorts will have babysitting for 3 year olds. I know Keystone takes 4 year olds (every instructors worst nightmare).
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Our family has gone to Winter Park for years and we've all learned to ski there. We like the fact that it is less trendy, they have an excellent ski school, and the village of Winter Park has everything we've ever needed. I've used both the child care (for my son when he was 18 mos.) and the ski school and can recommend both. We stay at the Timberhouse, which provides meals in a family style atmosphere.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:48 AM

We took our 3 and 5 year old to Steamboat and they had a fabulous time. The 5 year old took lessons and also had the day care experience wrapped around it - playtime, hot chocolate, rest time, etc. The 3 year old didn't ski per se but did get out on a magic carpet or carrot lift so he got the feel. He also had the full care experience. We took them up on the lifts the last day and spent the day snowplowing with them between our legs. It was a great experience and I'd highly recommend it. The next year we went to Crested Butte - same type of arrangement but both boys were on the slopes several hours a day with their instructors/care givers. after that, we opted for the traditional ski school at Beaver, vail, snowmass, etc so i can't comment on their day care type programs.