Family ski areas in VA, PA, WV etc..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in the DC area and I am hoping to surprise my husband, 6 and 8 yr. old with a very family friendly ski weekend over New Year's. First, we are fairly recent to the area. Will we have a reaasonable chance of snow? More importantly, I am looking for a place where my kids can be in a ski instruction of some type and my husband can do some downhilling(I do not ski). When we lived in New England there were a lot of smaller mountains that had nice not luxury accomodations and were affordable. Anything like that in my area? Thanks so much for your advice. Threehearts
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:40 PM

The closest would be the Bryce Resort at Basye, VA located 11 miles west of exit 273 on I-81. If in Va, take I-66 west to I-81 south. It's less than two hours from Fairfax.

The next closest in VA would be at Massanuttin east of Harrisonburg on rte 33.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Wisp, MD is about 180 miles from DC. It's a smaller mountain, friendly and affordable. As for snow, they can make it if the temps are low enough.

From DC Metro: I-270 to Frederick, MD. Take I-70 West to Hancock, MD to I-68 West and Cumberland. Take Exit 14A to U.S. 219 South to McHenry. Follow signs one mile to Wisp. SkiWisp.com for more info.

Snowshoe WV, Seven Springs PA, and the Poconos are also spots to ski, I am not sure how far they are from DC.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick response. It's great to get practical advice like this AND directions. I will look into the resorts mentioned for any packages they may have. We are 1 mile from DC in MD so any of these locations are doable for our 4 day trip(and a shorter one too!). Threehearts
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM

There's also Massanutten Resort which is near Harrisonburg, VA. I think it's about 3 hours from DC (I live in Silver Spring). The plus side with a place like this is that it also has other activities; you could check their website and see if they have snowmaking equipment. I suspect they do. There is a full range of different kinds of accommodations.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM

think Seven Springs(7springs.com) is about 3 hours from you..love the place...
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:41 PM

7 springs has a Jr ski and snowboard school for 7 to 12 year olds and a tiny tots(4 to 7 year olds)..also private lessons..and indoor pool and activities.. 1-866-437-1300....join priority 7 and receive special offers...also have ski rentals...
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:47 PM
GoTravel

I think the best ski resort in the area would be either Snow Shoe or Wintergreen. It's been a long long time since I skied Mansanutten but I recall it being small.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:52 PM
bluestructure

There is 2 favs of mine in the DC area. www.skiwisp.com (in western MD mtns, chances of snow is good). Also, another nice place is www.skiliberty.com Both places have packages for all types and there is beginner courses. Both parks have excellent snow tubing parks and mountains to go down on, fun for all ages. Personally, I would look into ski liberty...good for familys, beginner instructions, good prices. Its about 1 hr and 30 min from DC beltway up the mtns of southern PA. Have fun, welcome to area.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

These are super ideas. I looked into Snowshoe and there are a wide variety of accomodations but even with a package, the cost is very high there. I can see how the area is tempting because of their great facilities and range of slopes. I'm on to the other mountains tonight. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. You people are wonderful! Threehearts