Search

Family Reunion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Reunion

I need suggestions of where to go for a family reunion with 4 families (with school age children) the summer of 2006. We are thinking about Yellowstone or Colorado. Someplace with cabins and where we don't have to cook. We will be driving (or flying) from So Calif, TX & AZ . Not too expensive either!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM

If you are interested in Oregon a great place is LakeCreek Lodge - its a great place for a family reunion- cabins, swimming pool, dining room, recreation room with lots of games and books
there is lots of outdoor activities in surrounding area- fishing, hiking etc
Its located not far from Sisters Oregon in Camp Sherman and is one of my favorite areas to stay -
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Contact the Estes Park(Colorado) Visitor's Center. Estes Park is a beautiful town and LOTS of kid things to do in addition to being adjacent to Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park. for outdoorsy things.
Any of the ski towns would also be a good deal in summer for condos, but I'd pick one with a real town attached(i.e. Steamboat Springs, Breckingridge).
Manitou Springs has lots of cabin rentals and possibly Canon City. Other towns to try are Glenwood Springs,Durango,Salida. All are in Colorado.
But my overall vote would be Estes Park.

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
MaureenB

A place we like is Snow Mountain Ranch, a YMCA facility between Winter Park and Granby, Colorado. It is always ranked highly as a family reunion site, thus it fills up far in advance and it may already be too late for summer 2006. Lots of activities, several choices for housing from dorm rooms to big family lodges, a small grill and also a cafeteria. Beautiful setting, and probably one of the least expensive ways you can go.

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I know you said Colorado or Yellowstone, but I wanted to give you this info "just in case". There is a great lodge that only has 10 rooms in it at Panguitch Lake, Utah. They have their own restaurant, and a nice area right on the lake. Because there is only 10 rooms and you would have 4 of them you will have half the place to yourself. It is called Aspen Cove Lodge, http://www.aspencoveresort.com/, we had our family reunion there last 4th of July weekend and loved it. You can rent boats, sea-doos, kayaks, go fishing, BBQ, they have a huge fire pit right outside the lodge by the lake. We had family from Vegas and So. Calif. and had a 4-wheeler, bikes, kayaks and rented the pontoon and had a terrific time. The rooms are not like a "hotel" it is a lodge,so if you want someone to clean your room you have to ask for it, but other than that it is a nice secluded area in the scenic mountains of So. Utah. I believe the rates were about 70 a night for a standard room, then they have 4 rooms that have a loft in them so the kids can sleep upstairs from the parents and I think they were about a 100 night.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Check out some of the property managementcompanies in Estes Park for some nice vacation rentals with lots of photos--www.estesparkrealestate.com and www.ponderosainc.com.

Sue
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I second MaureenB's suggestion. They specialize in that sort of thing. The YMCA of the Rockies also has a location in Estes Park... but Snow Mountain Ranch is nicer in my opinion.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM

I've been to YMCA of the Rockies but not Snow Mtn Ranch. In what way do you think that one is better?

Sue
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
MaureenB

I haven't been to the Y in Estes for a long time, so I am not an expert. We frequently go to Snow Mountain Ranch -- our cabin is across the highway and we've been members there for years. Snow Mountain has so much gorgeous acreage for horseback riding, biking, hiking and beautiful views. They have built a new covered barbeque area that will seat a huge crowd. It also has tennis courts, miniature golf, crafts center, bike rentals, a nice lodge w/ fireplace, nature center, movies, indoor basketball, roller blading, swimming, even rock-climbing indoors. Plus organized activities like campfires, hayrides, etc. You might just compare the stats for the two Ys-- acreage and amenities and lodging. But, as I said, Snow Mountain could be pretty booked up for next summer unless you only need four cabins, because the family reunion lodges themselves are in high demand each summer.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM

The way you describe it, it sounds much like YMCA of the Rockies except for the indoor rock climbing and covered BBQ area. I like that the town of Estes Park is so close to that Y with all it's activities--including indoor rock climbing--and restaurants.

Sue