Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to plan family reunion in Colorado for Summer 2004?

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the designated planner for our next summer (June, most likely) family reunion. I would like to find a town that offers activities for a wide age range of families, from seniors to families with college age students to families with toddlers! Some of us want to sit and read, and others want to ride the rapids!!!

I have been looking at posts and Aspen looks like a good possibility. Any other ideas? I am interested in finding websites for activities and lodgings (I think condos would be ideal) to start making plans.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Have any of you planned family reunions?

Thanks,
Kathryn
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Breckenridge is great in the summer as well! Lake Dillon is about 20 minutes away, you can sail or just hang out at one of the parks (beautiful scenery). Breck is a great little town. Try White Cloud Lodging (www.white-cloud.com) for condos or home rentals (we stayed their for xmas last year and rented a beautiful 5 bedroom home on the golf course, would have been much better in the summer!) Ask for Bill (my cousin!)
Lots of great restaurants there with terraces overlooking the ski mountain.
Hope this helps!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Hi,

Summer of 2001 we had similar requirements and chose Estes Park. With RMNP at your doorstep there is plenty of varied activities for all.

Enjoy
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I 2nd Breckenridge. We had our family reunion there one summer. There was MORE than enough to keep everyone busy...we did shopping at the Outlet Mall in Frisco, horseback riding, downhill luge sledding, drove to Leadville, swimming at the local gym. We also used White Cloud Lodging when a large group of us went skiing. Had good experience with some nice folks.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Aspen is a great place to have a reunion for a mixed age group. Summer is less expensive than winter and there are all sorts of activities and things to do there... A couple of good sites: The Aspen Chamber of Commerce at www.aspenchamber.org or the other really good site is www.aspensnowmass.com but make sure you click onto the summer view. Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Hi Mom. Really there are many places in Colorado that fit the bill. Where are you coming from? Do not forget to look at Steamboat too, it is a bit lower in elevation if that is a condsideration for the Seniors.

For activites in Summit County, (Breck, Keystone, Frisco, Dillon, Copper)
look at www.summitnet.com they also have infor on lodging. Summit offers a wide range of activites, though at 9,000 feet! World Class Golf, tennis, hiking, road and mtn biking. Gondola/Lift rides, shopping, Lake Dillon for sailing & paddeling,fly fishing, horse bike riding, really way to many things to do!

For the Vail area look at www.vailnet.com

Aspen/snowmass is great too just not that familiar with that area.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:36 AM

We had a small family reunion in Vail last summer. There was plenty to do. We went hiking, rode the gondola, mountain biking, rafting, golfing, shopping. We also drove to Glenwood Springs(1 hour away) to the hot springs pool. Beaver Creek is about 10 minutes away. Go to vail.snow.com and look under summer activities. Have fun.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Coskier,

I am coming from Indiana. We also have a family in Kansas, one in Wisconsin, with most of the rest from California. Colorado seems to be a good place in the middle.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I look forward to my research!

Thanks,
Kathryn
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:25 PM

If you aren't totally sold on mountain towns--may I suggest Boulder--it's one of our families favorite places. You can start with a day at Pearl street Mall which is a charming tree lined outdoor mall with fun shops. The Peppercorn kitchen shop is huge--two stories. Eat lunch at Cheesecake factory. Go on a weekend and enjoy the many street performers that are there every weekend. Then go to the Celestial Seasoning Tour--you will cry when they take you into the mint room--it is so strong. Eat in the cafeteria there. Then go to flatirons mall which is a fun new mall close by. Then if you want a taste of the mountain life you can drive about 35 miles to Rocky Mountain National Park--there is no river rafting there but lots of hiking, biking, charming town Very popular and crowded in the summer however. Many riverside cabins available but book early some of these places book 1 year in advance. Anyway, just a possibility.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good information. I took a reunion planning break and now am looking around the web again.

I just found a website for the YMCA of the Rockies which has varied accomodations and lots of activities. It looks really good to me. Has anyone stayed there with a group (or even just one family?) How far in advance do you have to make reservations? The website shows a lottery in April for rooms for the summer. Is it that busy? Here is the website address: http://www.ymcarockies.org/index.php

Thanks,
Kathryn
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I highly recommend looking at YMCA of the Rockies, which is just outside of Estes Park, and is adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park. Lodging accomodations are very basic (e.g. no TVs in the rooms), but, the Y specializes in family reunions and other large groups. It's set in a beautiful small valley. There are many on-site activities to choose from, including horseback riding, crafts, tennis, miniature golf, storytelling, music, etc. RMNP offers great hiking, from easy to difficult, in and around beautiful mountain lakes. You need to put in your lodging request early - the Y fills up fast. If any of your family members have stayed there before, and are members, let them apply for accomodations.
Our family of four stayed there for 3 nights in July, 2000, and loved it. Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:07 AM

Our family had a family reunion in Breckeridge a couple of years ago, over the Fourth of July weekend (my immediate family live in the area, as well, though we had family come in from all areas of the country).

We had considered YMCA of the Rockies, but it was booked aready - something like a year ahead of time. So if you're considering the YMCA, call now! The lodging at the YMCA, from what I've heard, is pretty basic, so keep that in mind.

If you have family members with varying budgets, choose a place where people who want to can stay in more luxurious lodgings.

Breck and Vail are about 2 hours from the Denver airport; Steamboat is about 4 hours. Aspen will be a lot further, of course. There is a small Aspen airport, if you don't mind smaller planes. You might decide against Aspen just because of the logistics in getting there.

Other than logistics, Aspen, Estes Park and Breck probably have the same availability of hiking, rafting, shopping, 4-wheel drives/rides, biking, etc. Obviously, Aspen will be more expensive, have better (more expensive) shopping and better restaurants, if those are factors. Estes Park, at the other end of the scale, has every kitschy souvenir store you could imagine and a more limited choice of restaurants.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:09 PM

One thought Estes vs Summit County maybe price. estes is thought of more as a summer location and therefore lodging maybe higher. Great lodging deals abound in Summit County during the summer. I would look at Breckenridge or Keystone. Keystone has done a great job of making it a year-round resort with many activites offered free thru the passport program and they have many festivals in summer, the beer and blues, wine and jazz are my favorites! Keystone is great if you want everything in one place, horseback riding, golf, tennis, rafting, you really will not need a car. Breck is more of a town and has all the activites too. Check out keystones web site for summer events and www.summitnet.com if you have not yet done so.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:12 PM

http://www.keystone.snow.com