Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family resorts in the San Juan Islands, Washington.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:05 AM
Leslie

Planning an August trip to Seattle and environs w/ kids ages 14 and 11. I would like to include a couple nights at a place that might have swimming pool and lake just for relaxation. I've looked at info on the Rosario Resort but it's a bit too expensive for us. Any other recommendations on Orcas Island, or San Juan, or other islands?

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:07 AM
lisa

Check out the Deer Harbor Resort at:

http://www.deerharbor.com/

We stayed there last summer, but in our boat, so I can't speak to the cost of lodging. The lodging looked nice from the outside. There's an outdoor pool and there were activities, like movies, in the evenings. It's on Orcas Island.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Jayne

Others will have their favourites. However for relaxation you could try Whidbey Island - Especially Langley! I love it - just outside Seattle a quaint village with a view, antique shops, wineries nearby. I would call it not too quiet, not too busy.

Unfortunately, I don't know hotels or motels that have swimming pools? But the place is really quaint, and maybe the prices are less than the Rosario Resort.

Anyway it's just an idea as you have only a couple of days..

More Info...

Accommodation that might suit a family:
The Boatyard Inn
http://www.boatyardinn.com/

There was when I visited the Langley Motel (never stayed) but I've heard is very reasonable.

For things to do and a write up on Langley:
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=langley08&date=20011108

http://seattle.citysearch.com/feature/10203/

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:56 AM
lisa

Wait! I've got a great idea! I almost forgot Roche Harbor Resort! We stayed there several years ago and really enjoyed it. It has a lot of lodging choices at a variety of prices. We stayed in the old cottages. I just read on their web site they have a lot of newer alternatives. They have a pool, tennis courts, great water views, and, if I recall lots of deer that come down to say hello on the grounds. Definitely look into it. Here's their web site:

http://www.rocheharbor.com/

It is on San Juan Island, which has a lot of other interesting places to visit, too. You will wish you had more time!

Langley is a wonderful town, but more interesting for adults I think. We moored there on night last summer and visited. I loved it, but our kids were bored, especially our son. (Our kids were the same age last year as yours are this year.)

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:48 PM
Paula

Leslie,
We've stayed at Edenwild Inn on Lopez. It was very nice, but not expensive. Lopez is a great island to rent a bike and get around that way. People very friendly. Very relaxing.
Paula

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Leslie

Thanks, all, for the great ideas. I just remember going to the Seattle World's Fair when I was a kid and a place we stayed in one of the islands (might have been Vancouver Island actually) that had cabins, a pool, a lake with a diving platform. The memory is still with me.

We will be visiting Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria also on this trip. My kids have had too much of restricted behavior in nice places. I thought I'd find something where they could really run around and have a blast and alot of beautiful scenery. Don't want to bother anybody in a fancy B & B or Spa but don't want a depressing motel either. My husband has never been to the Pacific Northwest (a New Yorker)and I've only been back to Seattle for business trips, so it's time for the family to see this beautiful country.

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Oliver

Check out Lakedale on San Juan island. Very popular with families. Nice lake to swim in. New lodge looks great. If you want to save money they have a big private campground too in the trees. Fun place for kids! Web site at www.lakedale.com

BTW Whidbey island is not at all like the San Juan islands. Very built up and they have a bridge so tons more cars, crime etc. Any island with a large bridge isn't really an island but a pennisula anyways.