Family of 5's first trip to DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to DC for a family vacation later this month. It will be everyone's first trip to DC and we are all very excited! Many thanks to all of you fodorites, I've been gleaning lot's of wonderful information from this site!

We will be in DC from Sunday, May 28th until Friday, June 3rd (Monday the 29th is Memorial Day). Then we'll head down to Williamsburg for three days. Our itinerary, which is more of guideline really, as I want to remain flexible, is below. My biggest concern is Memorial Day...is this a good or bad day to go to Arlington? Would it be better to shift things around and go to Arlington another day?

Sunday-
Arrive DCA 4:30
Monuments at Night tour

Monday-
Arlington
National Zoo

Tuesday-
White House Tour
Capitol Tour
Spy Museum
Archives (in the evening)

Wednesday-
Air and Space Museum
American History or Natural History Museum

Thursday-
Metro to DCA to rent car
Mount Vernon
Alexandria
possibly National Gallery of Art in the late afternoon

Friday-
drop one daughter off at DCA for flight home
Udvar-Hazy Center
drive to Williamsburg

Thanks again for all of the wonderful information... I use Fodor's religiously when planning my vacations.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I'm assuming by Arlington you mean the cemetery? If so, I think it would be a wonderful day to go as long as you take Metro. I believe they are having a special ceremony that day.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/pho...emDay%20PA.htm
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM

If you want to see the ceremony at Arlington National Cemetary, then by all means go on Memorial Day. Go early. It will be crowded. However, if you're not particularly interested in the ceremony, I'd opt for another day.

Also, there's a Memorial Day Concert on Sunday night at the West Lawn of the Capitol... and a Memorial Day parade in DC on Monday starting at noon. Shouldn't affect Metro travel too much, but something to be aware of.

Though the National Zoo buildings don't open until 10 am, the grounds open at 6 am... and the lines to see the panda cub are short if any before 9 am. If you don't want to see the ceremony at Arlington, you might consider just doing the zoo in the morning and Arlington after lunch.

If it's a nice day, you might want to consider taking the ferry http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/ from Alexandria (Old Town marina) to Mount Vernon. The 10 mile drive down the GW parkway is beautiful too.

Alexandria has a nice free jazz festival on Memorial Day too:
Mon., May 30, 1 - 8pm
Fort Ward Historic Site - Free
I believe that the Dash bus offers free shuttles from the King Street Metro.

Finally, Udvar Hazy is west of DC (near Dulles airport) and Williamsburg is south. The trip on 95 South will be slow on a Friday afternoon. If possible, leave by 1 pm. Rush hour officially starts at 3 pm (Get in the HOV lanes if you have 3 people) and Fridays afternoons are particularly bad.

Have fun!

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I was also going to suggest getting to the National Zoo as early as possible. Maybe you could switch this to another day? It is so peaceful to stroll the grounds without the crowds. Plus, you'll have a great chance of seeing the baby panda scampering around.

My only other suggestion would be for you to visit some of DC's neighborhoods during your trip. Have dinner in Adams Morgan one night and Dupont Circle another. Old Town Alexandria is a great area to explore as well. I love the Union St Public House for dinner, it's right next to the Potomac (although it doesn't have outdoor seating). The Fish Market is also a fun place to eat in Old Town.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the advice and ideas. Originally I thought that the wreath laying ceremony would be nice to attend, but I'm not sure my family is ready to deal with the large crowds. I think we'll switch the National Zoo to Monday morning. We had timed tickets to see the baby pandas in the afternoon, but I'm sure we could change this. Do you think Arlington will still be crowded in the afternoon? I'll need to do some more switching around before we leave, as I heard from my Senator's office today and they have moved our Capitol tour to Wednesday.

How long will it take to drive from National to Dulles? My daughter's flight leaves from National at 12:50, so we'll probably drop her off around 11:00 and then head to Udvar Hazy. I'm not sure if we'll be able to avoid rush hour, as I don't think we will be getting to Udvar Hazy until lunchtime.

I read today about a fish market in SW DC. I think it was called Maine Street Fish Market? It sounded interesting, but would it be safe to go there in the evening? I'm worried that it would be a bit off the beaten path for lunch.

Thanks again for the great advice/ideas. I'm looking into the boat tour as well.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I live in DC, and wouldn't suggest going to the fish market in SW DC. DC isn't on the ocean, you probably have better fish markets in your home supermarket.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:24 AM

If you have timed tickets for the zoo, it may be too late to change them at this time. But, if you are rearranging much of your schedule, it may still be worth it to go to the zoo in the morning even if you do not get tickets. I'm not exactly sure whether Arlington will be crowded in the afternoon - I would imagine it woul be crowded all day long.

I wouldn't go to the SW fish market either. The Fish Market in Old Town is a restaurant that has a lively piano singer on Sat nights but I just realized you won't be in town on a Sat night. When in Old Town, you may still wish to pop in, or there are tons of other good restaurants in the area.

Oh, and it will take around 35-40 minutes to get to the Dulles airport from National. Just take the GW Parkway to I-66 to I-267 (Dulles tollroad). Take the portion of the road that is the Dulles Airport Access Road - it take you directly to Dulles without the option of exits and there is no toll.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM

My suggestion is to take it easy you have plenty of time. I'd highly suggest giving lots of time to the Smithsonians and all admission is free. Around that area is the Ford Theatre just up from 10th and Pennsylvania and the oral lecture there is pretty interesting. The FBI building is nearby (worked there 8 months) and they gave tours regular.

I would definately visit Arlington but you really must visit The Wall which is amazingly moving when you see how many names are on it and how dignified it all is. Just its presence gives you a true idea of what is sacrificed in war.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:46 AM

We were in DC two years ago during this exact same time frame. We went to Arlington National Cemetery on Tuesday and then toured all the monuments on foot. We saw a wreath laying ceremony conducted for a school class. Very moving. I'm sure they have them all the time, they just don't include the President. Suggest taking the tram tour at the cemetery because it is very hilly.

On Wednesday you at least need to stop by the Library of Congress and Supreme Court while you are in the area. Both are worth a look at the architecture, especially the LOC. The evening is a great time for the Archives. Not crowded at all.

You don't say how old your kids are, but ours were 11 and 14 when we went. We enjoyed the Spy Museum, but not as much as the American History and Natural History. Plus, it cost money while the others are free. You might want to drop the Spy so you have time for both, but either way will be fine. OR, why not go to MV and Alexandria on the way to Williamsburg and spend Thursday in DC? I have not been to these places, so others need to chime in on this.

You can not bring ANYTHING into the White House and there is nowhere to store things. No cameras, beepers, phones, purses, etc. You will need to plan on going back to the hotel for all your gear prior to the Capitol tour.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM

I echo some of the things the other posters said.

The zoo: if you go early, you won't need tickets to see the panda (though if you can still snag early tickets, gt them just to be sure). We went on Saturday morning before Easter, around 8:45 and were able to just walk up and watch the pandas for 30 minutes. It's also cooler in the am. We stayed until about 10:30, allowing us time to go into one or two of the buildings to see animals that weren't out.

Spy Museum is good for 12 and up. I think the Smithsonian Museuems are better for the younger crowd. Air & Space, American History and Natural History are all big hits with my kids. Note: the American History Museum will be closing for renovations starting on September 5 and won't reopen until 2008.
If you only spend 2 hours in each museum, you could hit all 3 in one day. Or possibly one on Monday!

Udvar-Hazy: It's closer to 45-50 minutes between National & Dulles (depending on traffic & timing you might be able to do it in 35, but I'd plan for a little more).

Depending on who in your family wants to see what, you might do Udvar-Hazy on Thursday after picking up the car and eat in Alexandria for dinner that night. Or just do Alexandria and Mount Vernon on Friday. Alexandria and Mount Vernon are the way to Williamsburg.

In Alexandria, 100 King (http://www.100king.com/) is a new restaurant serving mesas (Mediterrian tapas) as well as entrees. It also has a kids' menu. It's across the street from the Fish Market (restaurant), the Torpedo Factory and the water. Make reservations if you're going 7 or later.
IMHO the Fish Market is good for the piano bar, but locals don't really eat there. Same with the Chart House -- good for drinks and appetizers, especially if you catch a nice day and sit on the deck. I think someone else mentioned the Union Street Public House. Good food, good atmosphere. We've been there with our kids too. There's a Ben & Jerry' nearby too.

You can leave from the Dulles area to drive to Williamsburg. On a good day, this will add about an hour to your trip. On a Friday afternoon, plan on more. The last time we left at 3 pm on a Friday afternoon (from Alexandria), we didn't get to Williamsburg unitl 7:30 pm. If you can leave by 1, it should take 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You might also consider eating dinner in Northern Virginia, and leaving at 6 or 7. If you do leave in the afternoon, bring some munchies/dinner for the car. Traffic will usually spread out after Stafford. It's not a hard drive, but there will be a lot of cars!

Be sure to eat at Paul's Deli when you're in Williamsburg! It's on Richmond Road, across from the football stadium.

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:02 AM

We used to live/work in DC and now we live in Williamsburg.

The American History Museum is my favorite. I think the pandas are way over-rated. The zoo is open in the evenings during the summer, I believe. The museums are as well, but not sure if that started already.

When it is hot out, the zoo is not so much fun because it is crowded, built on a hill (imagine walking uphill with hot, sweaty, hungry kids in a crowd) and most of the animals are sleeping.

You could spend a whole week on the national mall where the museums and monuments are and still need more time. If it's nice out, I think it is better to just get lunch at a hot dog cart and sit outside than to wait for table anywhere by the museums.

We like to tour like we will be back, so we take our time, do a lot of walking looking at scenery, and don't feel like we have to see it all in that trip. Get your kids laminated maps, so they have a good idea of where everything is. My nephew loved that because then he was the expert when he came back with his class trip.

Driving to Williamsburg on Friday afternoon can be really bad during the summer. Since you will be out by Dulles, look at a map to take a different route down to 95 rather than going back to the beltway. Ask a local and they can tell you the route that goes southeast from there and will get you to 95 near Quantico, so you can avoid some of the traffic.

Have fun!

Amy
[email protected]
www.sofiabean.com

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:23 AM

To each his own, but considering there are only 1600 pandas left in the wild, I want to see them while I still can.

The zoo grounds are currently open until 8 pm; the buildings close at 6. I've gone there when they open in the morning - it was quiet and I almost had the place to myself. The website shows ticket availability for Monday morning.

I hope you have a great trip.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice! Based on your feedback, and our Senator's office moving our Capitol tour we've changed the itinerary up a bit. Our new plans are:

Sunday-
Arrive DCA 4:30
quick dinner at Union Station
Monuments at Night tour

Monday-
National Zoo
Air and Space Museum

Tuesday-
Old Post Office
White House Tour (11:30am)
American History Museum
Natural History Museum

Wednesday-
Library of Congress
Capitol Tour (12:00pm)
Ford's Theater or Building Museum
Spy Museum (around 5:00)
National Archives (around 7:00)

Thursday
Mount Vernon
Alexandria
National Gallery of Art??

Friday
Revisit favorite Monuments
drop daughter at airport (11:00am)
Udvar Hazy
drive to Williamsburg

I know it would make more sense to switch Udvar Hazy to Thursday and do Mount Vernon on the way to Williamsburg, but my daughter really wants to see Mount Vernon, and she has to leave on Friday. We'll probably stay late at Udvar Hazy and then eat nearby and try to leave for Williamsburg around 6, so hopefully we will miss some of the traffic.

I've heard that they allow nothing into the White House (wallet, keys and cell phone only). My son is diabetic, so I'm hoping that they will at least let us carry in his medical supplies. Does anyone know if there are lockers at the Old Post Office? I was thinking we could leave our camera, etc... there and then go back for it after the tour. If that doesn't work we'll need to leave it at the hotel and go back for it. We are staying at L'Enfant Plaza, so I'm hopeful that the trip back to the hotel (via Metro) won't take up to much time.

FYI my kids are 18, 17, and 8. The oldest is an Architecture major (thus the Building Museum). Pandas, fighter jets and spy stuff are all big on my 8 year olds list.

AmyF - I'd love to hear your advice on Williamsburg as well. We are planning on 1 day at Williamsburg, 1 at Busch Gardens (the kids want a break from "history), 1/2 day at Jamestown and maybe 1/2 day at the water park. We'll be arriving Friday night and leaving Monday night. Is there any particular day that is best (i.e. least crowded) for Busch Gardens? Is 1/2 day enough for Jamestown, or should we skip the water park and do an entire day there?

Thanks again for the advice, any other feedback would be welcomed!!
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Re Tuesday: The old Post Office tower won't take up a whole morning, whereas American History and Natural History oculd take up a full day each and it would be a shame to try to squeeze them both into one afternoon. The Americn History will be closing, on Labor Day, for a remodeling that will take a couple of years. Contact the old PO to ask about lockers, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

Given a choice between Ford's Theatre or the Building Museum, absolutely choose the Building Museum. Especially in late May, when Ford's will be host to thousands of school-tripping adolescents.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Route 17 is the road that goes from the Dulles area to Williamsburg. You can get on it from 66. It goes through some lovely towns.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:28 AM

Busch Gardens can get pretty crowded in the summer, especially on weekends. Check the forecast when you get here. If rain is in the forecast, plan BG for that day. It is actually best in the rain, since it won't be so crowded. Just get a bunch of cheap ponchos.

You can do Jamestown in half a day, but if you want to do Jamestown Island (this is the actual settlement and an archeological dig site), then you might want to do the whole day. I'm not so sure your 8-year old would find that as interesting. My kids (10 & 5) like Yorktown where you can do a tour of the battlefields and the waterfront area has been fixed up and is really nice with a beach.

If it is really hot out, Water Country sounds like a good idea, but can be really crowded and I think it gets kind of gross swimming with that many people on a hot day and it's a lot harder to walk from attraction to attraction with the crowds. However, your 8-year old might not care. My girls (10 & 5) love the Hubba Hubba Highway which is usually easy to get into. It's a lazy river kind of ride, but with jets so it moves fast.

One of our favorite places to eat is The Carrot Tree. There is one about a mile from Jamestown on Jamestown Road in a small motel-looking building. The other one is in Yorktown in a historical house and really nice. The food is good and very reasonable. We love the ham biscuits and the chocolate cake.

The Cheese Shop is great in Merchants Square, by Colonial Williamsburg. If you go, get a menu and call in your order via your cell phone and pick it up at the side window. And we like to go to Barrett's, which is an outdoor bar type place behind Merchant's Square.

I hope this helps.

AmyF
[email protected]
www.sofiabean.com