Family-friendly restaurants in D.C. near Grand Hyatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to D.C. the week after Christmas and are looking for restaurants for dinner within walking distance of the Grand Hyatt/Metro Center that would be good for a well-behaved 8-year-old. We don't need a kid's menu necessarily, just good food that is kid-friendly in an atmosphere that isn't too stuffy or quiet. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 06:53 AM

The Grand Hyatt is at 10th & H NW
http://www.grandwashington.hyatt.com...tels/index.jsp

I would go over to the Penn Quarter. There are tons of restaurants there. Ella's Wood Fired Pizza and Matchbox are both good

Restaurant finder: http://www.washingtonian.com/RestaurantFinder.html
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that Penn Quarter is a good choice. Many targets of opportunity for good eating and b/c it's a heavily touristed area (Verizon Center, Spy Museum, near National Mall), most of the restaurants are kid friendly. If you can, I'd recommend booking as it's also a popular area for post work drinks though that may not be as much of an issue the week after Christmas. If you're in that area the night of a big game or event at the Verizon Center, you'll definitely want to book a table for times between 6-8.

Jaleo (tapas), Cafe Atlantico (latin), Zaytinya (spanish/mediterranean), Oyamel (mex) are all part of the Jose Andres brand and would be excellent choices moderate to expensive in price.

Moderate or inexpensive:
Rosa Mexicana
Austin Grill (tex mex)
Cowgirl Creamery (sandwich/deli)
Eat First (chinese)
Ping Pong Dim Sum (chinese)
Nando's Peri Peri (peruvian chicken)

Your hotel is located close to at least one metro so don't overlook your chances to go further afield!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Penn Quarter...

Specifically, look at 7th St. NW between I st. and D st. (preferably early in you stay) - you'll surely see many places that will suit you along that stretch.

Matchbox is just off 7th (on H) - very good, casual, and lots of kid-friendly options. http://www.matchboxdc.com/

I'll also give a strong 2nd to all the Jose Andres places - especially Jaleo (at 7th & E st. NW). http://www.jaleo.com/
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if nothing else the Clyde's right next to the Verizon Center might just fill the bill, too
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM

For something quick and tasty, try Teaism at 8th and D.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM

I'd suggest Clyde's also
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM

I wonder how "family-friendly" Teaism is. I don' think of it as terribly kid-friendly, although my friends call it the "Tea-Nazi" place so that could be clouding it.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 03:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll second Eat First, Jaleos, and Zatinya (having eaten there) and also second the need to make reservations--most of which can be done through Open Table.

Teaism is not family-friendly in that "tin of crayons and coloring book, chicken fingers on the menu" kind of way, but it's a novel place for children who are more adventurous eaters--the bento box meals are fun, and most children would eat the udon noodle soup, as well. I think it's worth keeping on the list of options.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM

We've done Teaism for breakfast with our young'ns.

Saturday night we ate with another couple and our total of 5 kids at Vapiano in Penn Quarter (H Street right behind the Chinatown gate). And we've had them at Clyde's and Rosa Mexicano before.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM

well, I wouldn't recommend a lot of the mentions as family-friendly or where I'd take kids. LIke Jaleos or Zatinya, or Teaism.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We took family to Jaleo last winter before a Wizards game which included a 9 and 11 YO in the party. The kids handled the food and big atmosphere better than their grandparents who didn't quite get the tapas thing and struggled slightly with the noise level.

Where do you take kids to eat in DC, Christina?
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Christina re kids at Jaleos, Zatinya or Teasim. Not such an issue as they couldn't eat there, but food is not particularly kid friendly nor is the atmosphere.
Where in DC for kids? Two Amy's, Pete's New Haven Pizza, Pizza Paradiso, Rosa Mexicano, Matchbox, Austin Grill, Cactus Cantina, Ella's Pizza, Clydes, Lebanese Taverna, Chef Geoff;s. Carmine's opened recently and i bet that would be great for kids. Some are not right downtown, but easily accessible to downtown (2 Amys and Pete's and Cactus Cantina.) Enjoy DC!
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Had lunch today at Teaism with my 9 year-old. In the restaurant were two other groups with children, all of whom, including my daughter, were quite enjoying slurping their noodle bowls on this blustery day! The tiny, and busy, restaurant was atmosphere enough for everyone. Tomorrow it's Jaleos after ice-skating at the National Gallery over the cafe at the NGA (her choice) because "the little plates of food are fun!"

I hope the OP posts with her restaurant reviews!