Reload this Page >

Family Christmas in the Keys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:20 AM
BillJ

I am thinking of Christmas week in the Keys with our two grown boys w/wives and one infant under 1 yr. The ideal would be a 3 full bedrooms + at least 2 bath condo or rental home. I have found several on the net in Key West that look attractive, but I have never been there, so am unfamiliar with the area. Beach front is not a requirement, as those seem too expensive for our budget.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to this type of accomodations? also, we'd be flying into Miami from west coast, looks like a long drive after a late afternoon flight arrival. Do I need to plan first night in Miami area?

As always, thanks for any thoughts and input.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:30 AM
More

The Florida Keys stretch over 120 miles with Key West at the very end of it. Generally speaking Key West is more expensive compared to any other Key. With that in mind you are also planning a trip during the busiest week for the Keys so prices will be through the roof. Which Key(s) are you looking at and what is your budget? You might want to consider renting a house elsewhere in the Keys and not in Key West.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:28 AM
susan

Here's another problem. Key West has a newly enforced regulation regarding short-term rentals. Basically, it's that places can't rent for less than 30 days unless they're licensed. So if you decide to stay in Key West I'd caution you to make sure the place you rent has a license. I think the drive down might be a bit much after a long flight, too. You need to count on at least 4 hours for the trip...more if there's been an accident or if there's a lot of traffic.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:02 PM
BillJ

Sorry to be so non-specific, but I really am wide open to any ideas. If there are some 3 bedroom properties in other keys, that would be fine, I think. Budget wise, pretty flexible. Given my family preferences, they want "nice," and we can pay for it within reason. I realize I have more research to do, and these parameters are kind of vague, but thought I'd give it a shot. It may be completely un-do-able, budget or availability, but I thought some one out there might have a quick response. I'm frankly a little bewildered by all the info on the net and a couple of guide books I've looked at.
Yes, I have decided that one night in a Miami area hotel/motel would be called for, so I've got that dialed in.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Some

You should be able to find something with a valid rental license.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
HereYaGo

Bill I am sure there are 1000s of rentals that would fit your family but you really need to be more specific as noted. Floridakeys.com has helped me in the past differentiate between the Keys and what each offers. Maybe it can help you narrow down your choices.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:19 AM
Karen

I am not an expert by any means, but I was in Key West for a week in March 2002, and I thought the Truman Annex neighborhood would be a lovely place to stay in a house with a family. It is a short walk from Mallory Square, and yet is quiet and feels very residential. I have no idea how much weekly rentals would be, but I know I have seen some on websites.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:24 AM
susan

Karen - Unfortunately Truman Annex is one of the places most heavily affected by the new regulations. Lots of folks bought condos there specifically to rent them out and they're no longer available for short term renting. In Key West, I'd do a google search for vacation rentals and look for places that are licensed or agencies that can point you toward them. I think some people have had good luck with At Home in Key West though I personally have had no experience with them.