Fall weather on OR/WA coast

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall weather on OR/WA coast

Hope to visit the OR/WA coast in late October. I seem to remember that the rainy season begins sometime around then. Am I remembering correctly?
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 06:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We really don't have a "rainy season" as such. But yes it could rain anytime once fall/winter/spring comes October thru April.

Last edited by suze; Jul 31st, 2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 07:11 PM

Sunset is around 6pm that time of year. So short days even before daylight savings time makes the change November 7th this year.

I think cold, dark, damp days are as likely as actual rain storms. Although you can get some doozies on the OR or WA coast in the winter time.

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 07:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Some US cities don't suscribe to DST. Don't know if Seattle is/was one of them. I think that's mostly an Arizona thing. And Hawaii.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: removed reference to a deleted comment
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:12 PM

We change the clocks on November 7th this year.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:57 PM. Reason: removed response to a deleted comment
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:28 PM

Clousie ~ Do you know where you are going to stay yet? Which towns in WA or OR on the coast are you thinking of?
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

We don't have anything in mind yet. We've visited the coast many times but always in the summer, not later fall.Thinking of getting 1 week rental in 2 places or a VRBO. Haven't been to Long Beach Penninsula in WA, but that may be limiting for day trips. Have liked Manzanita, OR.

Looking for nice place that DH can sit and watch the ocean/nature while I do more exploring. Although, from some of the replies, it seems that late October into start of November isn't a particularly good time. Coming from east coast and this will be our first trip since Covid so want ijt to be special.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you come out a bit earlier? Mid September through about mid October the coast can be glorious.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Clousie
Hope to visit the OR/WA coast in late October. I seem to remember that the rainy season begins sometime around then. Am I remembering correctly?

With Oregon, you have some hope of minimal rain, with Washington, fully expect doom and gloom and be elated if you get anything better. There's a reason why the Twilight movies about vampires were first set in Forks, Washington.

Last time I drove most of the Oregon coast, it was mostly rain the whole way... in late October.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 08:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
While I agree that late October into early November can be wet and gloomy (and occasionally stormy) on the OR/WA coast, I have to say that any weather predictions for this year need to be made with not a grain, but rather a gunny sack of salt. You might have some good days (they're not unknown, even at that time of year) as the fronts roll off the Pacific and inland, or you might have some major storms. Old timers across the region still talk of the Columbus Day storm - basically a hurricane - that pummeled the area back when many of us were still, well... So "storm watching" can be an enjoyable activity. Not my picture, but this image of Cape Disappointment, on the Washington side of the mouth of the Columbia, is very graphic, and not all that unusual -

I wonder about looking at alternate locations, just for drill. What about someplace inland like the Columbia Gorge? Because it's in a transitional area between the wet and dry sides of the region (the Cascades block a lot of rain) you can often move from one weather zone to another in short order - maybe late fall color in the orchards and vineyards of the (gorgeous) Hood River Valley, or drive up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood for some early snow fights. Or with a (likely) early rain or two, see the famous Gorge waterfalls in high flow, or go star gazing out in the sagebrush at the funky Maryhill Museum and weird copy of Stonehenge... all of these things are with an hour's drive of Hood River, itself an hour from Portland airport. Granted it's not waves crashing into rocks, but it's also less likely to give you a week of gloom. Maybe worth considering.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We visited the Oregon coast end the of October/ first week of November. It was great! Sounds like we lucked out.