Fall trip to Fallingwater

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:03 PM
Amanda

Fall trip to Fallingwater

We are booked to tour Fallingwater on the first Saturday of October, and we are staying at the Summit Inn Hotel. Any comments on this hotel? Any restaurant recommendations in the area? Other things to do in the area for a couple in our mid 20s, no kids? (I believe white-water rafting season is over... other activites on the water?) Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 03:03 PM
Paul

Hi Amanda,
If you type "Fallingwater" in the text search box at the top of this page, you will get several ideas for restaurants. I just did this and the hot spots are listed there in various posts - including one I left there.

As far as the Summit Inn... I stayed there once on a weekend. I can tell you that it is a very old, historically significant lodge on a grand scale. I enjoyed my stay there, but was not overly impressed with their rooms. Afternoon tea is quite nice on their huge patio. The outdoor olympic-size pool is excellent, but I found the indoor one to be rather dark and a bit scarey. Hope for good weather if you want a refreshing dip in the pool. The Laural Highlands is a beautiful area. Fallingwater is amazing. I'm sure you will have an excellent time!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 03:18 PM
George

Don't miss Kentuck Knob, aka the Hagan House. It's another Wright-designed property about 15-20 miles from Fallingwater. They have information there about how to get to it.

It's an interesting contrast--two entirely different philosophies behind the two properties.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just got back yesterday from a visit to Fallingwater. We enjoyed it very much. Be sure to make reservations. We just did the regular tour ($15 weekends) and that was fine for us, it lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes and then we ate lunch there and spend time in the gift shop. We stayed two nights at an absolutely wonderful bed and breakfast in Uniontown, PA called The Inne at Watson's Choice. It was beautiful, peaceful and very relaxing. I notice that a lot of posts for Fallingwater recommend Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (unbelievably expensive!), but we found the Inne to be less commercial and it offered much more individual, attentive service for a very reasonable price. There is the actual Inne and then its "Harvest House" building next door that has whirlpool tubs in most of the rooms. We stayed in a room in the Harvest House. For restaurants, we ate at the Coal Baron restaurant which was delicious and the portions were huge. Service was very good also. Another very good restaurant is Caleigh's.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM

Amanda

Since you will be here in October, I highly recommend a trip to Ohiopyle Falls State Park. The leaves should be gorgeous then. You can take in the scenery around the falls, and then if you like, hike on one of the trails or rent a bike and see all the foliage on the Yough River Trail (part of the trail that is the Allegheny Highlands Trail project that goes from Pittsburgh to DC). If you're up for it, the bike ride from Ohiopyle to Confluence is 11 miles and is beautiful. Once you get into that town, you could follow the sign to the River's Edge Cafe for lunch, then bike back. You can visit the train station in Ohiopyle for details or visit the park website at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...s/ohiopyle.asp. I would also recommend the Inne at Watson's Choice, although it is a little farther removed from Fallingwater than the Summit Inn--probably an additional 20-25 minutes from the Summit Inn.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:24 PM

amanda,
there are 2 very nice romantic restaurants at nemacolin woodlands.they are included on their website,nemacolin.com.one is the golden trout and the 2nd is lautrec.lautrec also has a terrific sunday brunch.reservations are a must.also,there is a place approx.10 or minutes from the summit inn called chez gerard that i've heard good things about.their website is chezgerard.net.have fun!!!!