Fall lodging for family??? VT or NH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are late planning a fall trip to Vermont & NH. We hope to be there peak leaf time... mostly mid week - Columbus Day week... know that's good and bad!

Can anyone give us a few names of family friendly lodging. I don't feel comfortable with kids in most of the B&B's that I've seen.

Here's my complete wish list:
1. beautiful view... if not FROM the room... at least nearby!
2. in town location... maybe walking distances to shops... dining... maybe night time activities???
3. good base to explore area without having to change hotels
4. kid friendly!!!

We really want to soak up the flavor of New England!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:12 AM

How old are your kids?
And...budget?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

the youngest is 8...

and budget... a great question! At this point we'd consider every option... as long as it's clean!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM

New England flavor doesn't include "nighttime activities" in October except for maybe bowling or movies.

And I really can't think of any hotels that have a "beautiful view" yet an in-town location surrounded by shops.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Well... bowling and movies sure beat sitting in a room looking at TV!

And I'm surprised about no beautiful views... like I said it doesn't have to be from the room. I just imagined about every town to be in a pretty setting. Guess that's what imagination does for you!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Porstmouth NH!

Or try Burlington, VT, but you may be a little too far north for peak leaf time.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Your want list is a little tricky: In town, but with views. Most places with great views are in the countryside. As for nightlife, rural New England is not exactly a mecca for nightlife - maybe a quiet dinner at an inn, or some live music at a pub. You may want to decide between NH & VT - they do have slightly different feels to them. Vermont is more bucolic and agricultural, slightly less toursty. NH has more rugged scenery, but is a bit more commecialized.
Here are a few towns that have in town hotels, some shopping ,nice places to eat, and the kind of feel you are looking for.
Woodstock Vt., Manchester Vt., Stowe Vt.
Hanover NH, North Conway NH.
You could also opt to stay in a highway chain hotel, and drive to various villages and scenic areas. The White River Jct/Lebanon area has several of these kinds of places with pools, etc. and you are central to exploring both states (you won't be in a scenic setting however).There are also lots of motel type places near ski areas like Killington VT, and Loon NH.
Another option is a place like the Loch Lyme Lodge, which offers cabins near a lake in a very nice setting, but is only minutes from Hanover NH.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM

...(sorry, mouse spasm)

There are some B&Bs and also a couple big chain hotels (Marriot and Sheraton, maybe?) in-town Portsmouth -- one is on the waterfront (right in the historic district), one a little bit of a walk to town center. Lots of waterfront views and a nice olde-time downtown section with good restuarants. Visit Strawberry Banke, watch the lobster boats, and you can go for a drive in the countryside -- hills and lakes.

Burlington has great water views (of Lake Champlain), and a really nice pedestrian shopping area. Lake cruises, driving tour of quaint towns with white-steepled churches, lots of cows. I'm not so familiar with hotels there, but there has to be something in-town.

Your only problem is the lateness of your plan -- lots hotels are all booked up.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Oh. If you want to see both VT and HN, my solutions won't work. Try zootsi's idea of the Hanover/White River Jct area -- but I bet everything is full.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Yes... I know my "wish list" was a little impossible... but guess that why it's called "wish"! And nightlife is tricky with kids period!!!

Thank you both for your great tips!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM

How about Meredith NH? It's too close for us to have stayed there but the Inn at the Falls is in the middle of downtown and some rooms would overlook Lake Winnipesaukee. It is almost in the mountains so you would have easy access to White Mountain attractions. Further south, there might be some night time activities for kids at Funs Spot/Weirs Beach. There's another hotel on the water in the middle of town but I can't remember the name. With children, you might be better off with a condo in the area, some place with cooking facilities and a good playground. Downtown Meredith will be congested with traffic so that's the downside. There's a route thru town to avoid the backup from people coming off Rt 93 and heading to town and further north. You might also be able to find a cottage to rent on one of the lakes.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Another great idea!!!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Jackson N.Hampshire.Beautiful place.Not far from Conway known for it's outlet shops.Great scenery in the White mountains.We stayed at the Covered bridge motel. Paul
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I would second Jackson, NH... We've stayed there a few times and enjoyed. It's close enough to lots of things, but far enough away from the hub-bub of North Conway. If you're looking for clean, comfortable basic lodging, try the Lodge at Jackson.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for those recommendations too! Guess my imagination wasn't that far off track... I'm excited to have choices!!!

Since we want to do a day in Vermont... would there be much driving difference departing from Meredith or Jackson?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM

My first guess was Meredith would be closer but in checking the map I forgot about VT's sneaky bulge to the east in the St Johnsbury/Littleton area so Jackson might be closer esp if you wanted to do the Great Vermont Corn Maze in Danville, a great family activity. (Let the kids choose the turns) If you want to visit Woodstock VT and the Quechee area because everyone else does, Meredith is closer. My husband loves the Billings Farm Museum. I don't particularly care for Rt 4 Lebanon NH to Rt 104 although it will take you past Enfield Shaker Village.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Just so you realize - Jackson NH and Merideth NH have totally different feels. Merideth is much bigger and more commecialized - a resort town on a lake with fast food places,lots of stores, etc. Jackson is a quiet, somewhat upscale mountain village. Both are fun in their own way! Other interesting little mountain villages in NH that are closer to VT might be Sugar Hill (picture postcard scenery), and Bethlehem (interesting little town that is a fresh air retreat for Hasidics).
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Good point, zootsi.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional information! This is really getting to be a tough decision!!! With your great guidance, the more I study... the more I find! Guess I'll need more than 1 trip here to enjoy it all!