Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fall Leaves in Washington (as of Oct 16-19, 2023)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(preface by saying that I am not a leaf fanatic and that I wouldn't be able to discern "peak fall leaves" unless it were a multiple choice quiz with photos)

But since I just returned from traveling far-flung Washington State roads I've seldom/never before seen, maybe I can add just a tiny bit of inspiration for somebody going on a weekend tour of various parts of the state.

First of all... best fall colors bang for a short buck was highway 970 on the eight-mile path between highway #97 (Blewett Pass) and Cle Elum. Lots of fall colors, mostly yellow, during a very short path.

Best... fall color surprise... (in a way, anyway)... was the path between Republic and Kettle Falls on highway #20. Lots of yellow appeal... but it seeeeeeeeeeeeemed to the novice (guesser) that it might be a week or two until peak.

(also guessing when I imagine that "peak" happens in a small window and then some big, wet storm completely obliterates all of the remaining color over a day or two - with us left guessing just when that storm will occur)

Loved the fall scenery in the Methow Valley from Twisp to Pateros along highway #153. A seasoned photographer could surely find grand shots of a river framed by striking fall leaves on either side.

North Cascades Highway has plenty of color... but it does take its sweet time luring you along between Burlington and Winthrop.

By and large, there are soooooooooooo many evergreens all over, that the fall colors need to be especially prominent and plentiful in a cluster to really impact the eye.

Dedicated photographers would have found plenty of great shots if inspired to pause and put them together.

Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the info and the shot, NorthwestMale.
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 04:44 PM

Fall leaves reflected in the small lake in Connecticut. I lovey your shot with the mountain in the background

Last edited by oldemalloy; Oct 22nd, 2023 at 04:47 PM. Reason: More info
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the pix. Here in central Oregon (south of Bend), the peak for Aspens was last week. on Tuesday morning, we woke up to an inch of snow down near US 97 and the tops of the Cascades got up to 10" on the highest peaks. Nearly all of the leaves on the Aspens have fallen. This morning the temperature at my place is 17F.