Fall leaves

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall leaves

My husband and I are planning a trip to New Zealand and Australia next year. When is the best time to visit to view wildlife and to see the fall colors? We visited Alaska in late August/September and adored all of the colors, so we are looking for a similar experience.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Hi, Shari!

For the east coast of Australia, come in April. I would imagine the same would be true of the north island of New Zealand, with the autumn coming somewhat earlier in the south island. Your wisest plan would be to start in the south island of NZ, move on to the north island, and then finish in Australia at the end of April. If you're in Sydney around that time, make sure you include a trip to Mt Wilson (about a two-hour drive from Sydney) as part of your "fall colours" itinerary.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:59 AM

Shari: Eucalyptus trees dominate the Australian landscape. They keep their leaves year round. Most of the deciduous trees are imported and are found mainly in cities and towns where they were planted by settlers to remind them of home. I remember some nice fall colors in Canberra with all the imported tree species planted there. But, outside the city, all was green. Tasmania has native decidous trees. I imagine there could be some nice fall colors out in the Tasmanian bush but have never seen them myself.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:47 AM

Most, I believe all, New Zealand trees are evergreen. You will get autumn tints in Christchurch, which is an ?English city? and Arrowtown, as well as a few other places where imported trees have been planted. But in general in stays green all year round.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

We saw some nice red leaves in Rotorua in mid-April. Remember, the seasons are reversed!

Lee Ann
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM

Hi Shari, nothing in Australia can compare with the "fall" colours you have in the USA and Canada, although there are some spots with nice colours around our autumn time.
You may be better to change to the wonderful colours of the tropics instead.
As others have pointed out to you we mostly have evergreen trees and for the most part Tasmania and the high country of Victoria and NSW are the only areas with colour in autumn.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:18 PM

Whilst it is true that Australian natives do not shed their leaves in the autumn - the only place I can think of in Australia that has a true autumn is Victoria. The area around Bright is well known for its beautiful autumn colours. But as Liz said it is nothing compared to the colours in USA and Canada.