One spare day at Te Anau, what to do?

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One spare day at Te Anau, what to do?

We will be in Te Anau end of January 2005. On the first day we booked Doubtfull Sound day cruise. Our second day is free, we will have a car available, and I am looking for suggestions on what to do. We did Milford Sound day cruise on our last trip, so this is not a suitable option. Suggestions would be most welcome.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM

We had an excellent five or six hours yachting on Lake Te Anau on the Manuska of Sinbad Cruises. We made our booking through our Motel who told us that picnic lunches were available. However, when they checked the message came back, ?Tell them to get their own. People don?t seem to like mine!?

Skipper, Murray, is something of a ?character? and is happy to have you take the helm.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Z: On your last trip, did you drive from Te Anau to Milford? If not, you should definitely consider doing it, even if you do not intend to repeat the cruise. One of the most scenic drives in the world I would say.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes we did drive to Milford Sound and made a number of stops along the way. We are hoping to find something new to do.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
How about a scenic flight, kayaking, biking, quad tour, guided or independent hike?

The following site has some suggestions you might want to consider.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...l_and_Tourism/

Have fun!
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 09:21 PM

A little bushwalking perhaps? Part of the Hollyford Track near the Milford Tunnel, or a ferry across the lake to the glow-worms, and part of the first day of the Milford Track walk. I haven't done it, but would like to. I loved the Doubtful Sound outing, even in the rain.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I had a day in Te Anau before taking the Doubtful Sound cruise and spent it walking. I wish I could remember the name of the walk - my hostel dropped me off on one side of a small river and arranged for someone to ferry me to the other side. It was then a 1.5-2 hour walk up to the top of the hill with an amazing view over the lake. you could go further. But I needed to get back to be met by my transport back over to the other side of the "river". It is a walk with a leaflet published by the NZ Nat Parks people. medium, I would say (I'm not that fit!) even if all uphill.

Visit the local info office when u get there and ask what walks they recommend.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. This gives me some ideas to work on.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

We selected to do a day hike. Take a boat across the lake to Brod Bay and walk to Limestone Bluff on the Kepler Track and return. According to posted information this is a 4 hour return walk. Any comments? Is this a good choice?
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't done this particular hike (the Kepler Track was temporarily closed due to some trail damage when we were last there), but in my experience, hiking/tramping/walking in NZ is ALWAYS a good choice.