Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fall Itinerary For Skyline Drive/Blueridge Parkway Trip: Please Help!

Apr 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

I am planning a week trip driving the Skyline Parkway. The first night we will stay in Front Royal. We will drive Skyline drive the first day, then stay overnight in Charlottesville. the second day we would take Blueridge Parkway down to either Peaks of Otter or Roanoke(recommedation?) making a detour to see Natural Bridge. The next day we would drive to either Blowing Rock or Mount Airey(recommedation?) The next day, it would be on to Ashville for the night. Then across the Smokies to spend the last two nights there. Does this seem like a pretty good itinerary? Or maybe to rushed? We have never travel this area before, so any suggestions or recommendations would really be appreciated.
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Brutforce

Sounds like a lot of driving for teh time involved too me. Around Charlottesville I would check out the wineries as well as the UVa area. I am guessing you are leaving from the DC area ? If you are fitting Natural Bridge into day 1 that would appear to be a pretty full day too me. Are you looking to hike, shop, looking for history, places to stay or eat, or what ? A more specific post w/specific questions may help you get some responses. All of the areas in question have a ton of info on here, particularly Asheville. You may also want to search first.

Apr 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM

When you leave Charlottesville go down 6 or 635 to 664 and hit the Blue Ridge south of Stauton. On the way you can visit several wineries including Hilltop ( fruit wines), Evergreen, Cardinal--all have nice wines and it's quite scenic
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Minly just looking for comments on the itineray itself. The first day we were looking to drive Skyline Drive and then over to Charlotteville, though we could stay in Waynesboro if this seems like too much. Then the next day we would be driving to Peaks of Otter. I was hoping to fit Natural Bridge into this day. I went years ago when I was a kid and thought that I would try to fit it in if it's not too much. The next day it would be on to night stays in Blowing Rock and Asheville before crossing the Smokies for a couple of nights in Gatlinburg. We are going to enjoy the fall foilage and scenery, and would like to fit in some short hikes, some shopping an even some history if possible (just whatever we have time for). It didn't seem like a lot of driving per day (about 125 miles between stops). Am I fooling myself and planning to much? Should I drop Skyline Drive and just pick up the Blueridge Parkway in Waynesboro? We will be coming from the west on I-64.
Apr 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM

We travelled a similar path but in reverse on our Southeast tour last Sept./Oct.so I'll give you an idea.
Harper's ferry-Front royal-skyline-Charlottesville where we stayed a couple of days visiting Monticello-Ashlawn and Micie tavern
On to the Blue ridge)visiting Natural bridge-on to Roanoke for the night
Then on to Asheville for another 2 day stay visiting the BIltmore and Chimney rock
Then continue along the Blue ridge to Cherokee and the Smokie mountain park staying at Gatlinburg for two days visitng the park.
The fall colours were just beginning so we had hardly any traffic along the way.Paul