Blue Ridge Parkway in July Itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plans have changed this summer and we have just decided to go to the east instead of the west (saving the west for next summer). My family loves the Smoky Mountains and will be taking our first trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the Shanendoah Valley. We would like to see as much as possible on this trip including civil war battlefields and possibly a day at Mount Airy (who is not a big fan of Andy). I would like some help planning the trip and what to see we will probably spend the first night or two in Pigeon Forge then leave on the Parkway part of the trip. Suggestions on where to stay and how to break up the trip would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM

You can get a lot of information at www.blueridgeparkway.org and also try www.byways.org .

Then go to www.lightninrv.com and click on "Rentals" in the menu on the left. Once there, scroll down and take a look at our "Special Events Calendar" for hundreds of great things happening all over the country...but, don't look at it just for the time period you're thinking of going. Look at the whole year, as the places listed are great destination sites all year round just about.

Then take a look at "Travel Links" for more ideas of places to see, things to do, great road-food, and a ton of helpful travels links to help make your trip a great one.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Pigeon Forge. OK. Why!? Head through the park and start up on the Parkway. You won't hit Civil War battlegrounds until Virginia, I think. And Mt Airy is a little way off the Parkway--I don't have a map in hand so maybe it isn't so far.
What do you really want to do on this trip.
Linville and the surrounding area is beautiful, including Grandfather Mountain. Are there kids in this mix?
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

There are a two young kids in the mix. Also my fater who is 70 and my mother who is 69. The reason we were looking to stay in Pigeon Forge was for the kids to have a day at Dollywood. We also love going down to Cades Cove and seeing the animals. Not a must by any means though we were just throwing out ideas. I really would just like to see a good overview of the area. This could include any number of things and I am open to any suggestions you might have because I have never been to the area. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM

The parkway isn't far from Charlottesville when you get up towards Shenandoah -- about half an hour, and it has Monticello, some good wineries, and is just a neat little town.

A bit further south in Virginia, you'll pass near Galax and Floyd. Galax is home to a renowned fiddler's convention, and Floyd has more informal bluegrass music on, I think, a weekly basis. You can get more from google if you're interested.

Note that the parkway speedlimit is 45 mph, and you're going to get stuck behind RVs, it's just fate. It's a beautiful drive, though.

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 03:51 AM

I am in the Mt. Airy area and would be glad to suggest some options. http://www.visitmayberry.com has lots of information for you. Mt. Airy is only minutes off the parkway and a fun stop.
A really nice hotel is the new Hampton Inn near the Shelton Winery just off I-77. There are also some excellent b and b's in Mt. Airy. Maxwell House is within walking distance of all the downtown attractions. Snappy Lunch for a pork chop sandwich is a must do. You can take a tour of the Andy attractions in the squad car! If you have time, there is an excellent state park, Pilot Mountain, with plenty of walking options just a short ride down US 52.
Floyd was mentioned in Hellion's post. There is great live music easily found on Friday nights.
A wonderful hiking, biking option is the New River Trail near Galax.
What a great summer trip. Have fun!

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Look for the Peaks of Otter. They are on the parkway and have a hotel which overlooks a lake and there are some hiking trails around. Also, a ranger gives talks in the evenings on the weekends.
Nearby, is the D-Day memorial which I am sure your parents would enjoy seeing. The town of Bedford is nearby and it is a charming Norman Rockwellish sort of place. Enjoy. It will be slow going though but very beautiful.
The police are vigilant there as I have learned to my chagrin.