Search

fall foliage trip from new york...pls help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fall foliage trip from new york...pls help

hi everyone...
my husband and i would like to take a couple of guests (visiting from london) for a day trip from new york to see the fall colors but are unsure of where to go. We want to go this weekend (oct 4), will rent a car and would like to go somewhere that's not more than a 2-hour drive from us (each way). We are also looking for restaurant suggestions - somewhere that's charming and along the suggested route. Pls help!
Thanks......
JB
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
GBC

I'm guessing that you mean New York City. I would suggest the Berkshires - propably around New Preston, CT. Lake Waramug is there. The entire region is very pretty all year long but particularly in the fall. For an idea of the place you could look up Boulders - an restaurant/inn on the lake. Also Hopkins which in addition to a restaurant and inn has a vineyard and sells their production.

We visit this area each fall but arrive from PA so I can't help much with places along your route.

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM

What about Mohonk Mountain House. A nice drive and you can have lunch there.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM

I've always wanted to go to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. They have a couple student-run restaurants that are supposed to be always novel and good. Then you could continue on up to the Berkeshires.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM

We are also heading out for the day Saturday. We will be heading to Sussex County NJ area. Google Vernon NJ and check out the rt below:

Try rt 80w
to rt 15n to
rt 94n Stay on Rt 94 and
head in the direction of Warwick NY.

You will pass:
some ski areas (nice hills of color!)(town of mcafee),
town of Vernon,
Pine Island area(Famous 'black soil" onion fields!),
farm stands, Apple Picking sights.
Warwick, NY is one of the larger towns and there are many places to have lunch in town.

Not quite Vermont, but will be an easy, pretty 2-3 hour drive each way!

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM

You may not find a lot of fall colors this weekend only 2 hrs. north. It's a tad early I think. Here's a link to Yankee magazine foliage map, one of many online
http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/

I'd head to Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate (you could also do this on the Metro North train instead of renting a car) and tour the house and garden.
http://www.hudsonvalley.org/content/view/12/42/

If you can get a reservation at their restaurant, Stone Barns, you'd be lucky.
http://www.bluehillstonebarns.com/bhsb.html
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM

If you want to stay within 2 hrs. of NYC, you won't see much in the way of fall colors this weekend. Here in the Albany area, things are starting to turn, but there will be even less to the south. You might find some color in the Berkshires because of the higher elevation, but it is more than a 2 hr drive from NY. I second the votes for Mohonk Mountain House or the Culinary Institute.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM

I'll agree that it's too early for even moderate foliage colors this weekend. Today, we were up in the Bear Mountain area, which is an hour or so from the city along the Hudson and there was very little fall foliage in sight.
You'll have to travel at least 3 hours from the city to find an decent foliage this weekend.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM

I rode up the Taconic Parkway last weekend and although it's early, fall was clearly in the air and some trees were beautiful in orange, red and gold. The Culinary Institute only has limited hours (if any) on Saturdays, so check ahead. Stockbridge Mass. is a lovely small town in the Berkshires with several restaurants--The Red Lion Inn is very quaint (the dining room is very staid, the bar has the same food with an old tavern vibe). Same things can be said for nearby Great Barrington. You can drive up Rt 7 (I think) in Conn--slow local road, but very pretty drive-- or the Taconic Pkwy to get to either one. Check Hudson Valley sites. It's a very active time of year!
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM

We just got back this afternoon from a business trio to near Danbury - and the trees are only just beginning to change (most are still green). Two hours north of the city really in;t far enough for good color - at least this weekend. I think you either need to wait a week or go farther from the city.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for the suggestions......they are only here this weekend so i guess i'll share everyone's opinion and we can take a vote!
inkypot