Fall Foliage ME, NH, VT, MA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2023, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning we are driving from Old Orchard Beach to Bethel on ME26.Looks like we go through Shaker Village and Poland.

Any stops you suggest for lunch or activities? Going for fall colors. Not hikers but do like to shop.

Once in Bethel staying 3 nights.

Would you go N to Newry and/or NH and which roads would be the prettiest drives
Food or restaurant suggestions would be great also.

Plan after is to head to Vermont N or S depending on what state colors are in.
Seems foliage is slow this year.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 06:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The weather forecast for today looks bad for leaf peeping. Rain, heavy at times. If the rain takes the colored leaves off the trees expect clogged drain pipes and flooding. One of my favorite highways in New Hampshire is the Kancamagus highway (route 112).
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 07:47 AM
J62

In northern NY, not far from VT and MA colors are very poor this year - not slow or late. Seems as though weather conditions over the summer are causing leaves to simply drop with no color change. There were periods of wet (= mold on leaves) and very dry which I believe disrupted the normal color change process.

In my area the sugar maples which usually are brillliant red, orange, yellow have simply turned brown and are falling to the ground. I can usually set my watch by the date certain trees in my yard/neighborhood change it's that predictable. This year, close to nada in terms of color.

I don't know what conditions are like east of here in VT,NH, or ME, but it may be similar.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 11:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Central VT, the colors are getting better every day. Heavy rains today may affect them somewhat.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how to do likes but know I appreciate your comments.
The drive up had some color but would say it's at 30%.

What is Central VT? We are deciding to head to Killington area or Smugglers Notch area.

Getting conflicting reports that Smuggs is past peak or will be peak next week.
Have heard Killington is peak?

Coincidently our waitress today in ME lives in NH. She wrote on a napkin a driving route on US2W to 113 to Evans Notch to Conway and back to Bethel but I might add going to the Kancamagus and then taking 93 back N to NH 115N bach to US2 E.

If anyone has any lunch recommendations please let me know.
This will take in weather and traffic conditions. In case of rain will go to the Sunday River Festival 5 minutes from us.

Old Oct 8th, 2023, 01:23 AM

If you like ice cream, check out the ice cream trail by NH Dairy promotion. There are also wine trails. I'm in MA right now butlive near Concord NH and peak in that area is usually this past week. Instead of mountains head a little south. New London NH is a very pretty college town with nice view as you travel south on Main Street. You can drive up a small mountain in nearby Wilmot with a view toward Lake Sunapee. Peter Christians is ok for lunch. Head to Gould Hill orchard in Hopkinton for hard cider tasting and possibly music on weekends. I would stay in Concord NH for traveling in most directions and good Main Street shopping esp if you want great independent bookstore. I89 is actually quite scenic and will take you to VT. If your timing is such that you are in NH on wednesday and weather is good there is a classic car cruise night at the Refinery in Andover. Great restaurant. You can wander around to look ar cars and talk with owners.

if you drive back roads from New London to Concord you will go thru towns of Warner which has some small museums. Kearsarge Indian Museum is my favorite. Then Contookcook, Hopkinton and Concord. From Concord you can head north using Portsmouth Street, Mountain Rd and visit Apple Hill. Great apples and bakery. Now find Canterbury Shaker Village. You could return to Concord via Rt 106. Not my favorite unless you want to visit Miles Smith farm. Certain times in fall they let visitors smash pumpkins to feed their Highland cattle. But check to see if Sanborn Mills Farm is having an event for visitors. Their fully restored grist mill and saw mill are working not just for show. Recently they have been demonstrating farming with draft animals and having pop up lunches.

Old Oct 8th, 2023, 05:05 AM

I am in north central VT, a little north of Montpelier. Foliage here was peak last week. I would try to go a little farther south. Killington area would probably have more color than Smuggler's Notch.
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vttraveler
I am in north central VT, a little north of Montpelier. Foliage here was peak last week. I would try to go a little farther south. Killington area would probably have more color than Smuggler's Notch.
Interesting. We are in a straight line to you in Bethel and 40-50% peak. We may try to go N to Rangeley to see how things are there.
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 01:53 PM

There are foliage websites that describe where peak and medium foliage can be found. I'd look for one that looks as if it was updated recently. Unfortunately lots of leaves came down due to rain Saturday/Sunday.
Elevation will also be a factor.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am going to check out the NH Dairy Promotion. On our drive from ME think we passed the Fryburg fair but it looked like a breakdown day. Probably was over. We drove down 113S through Evans Notch and started to see the colors. If anyone is coming from ME highly recommend. We then drove the Kancamagus which was beautiful. We stopped at an overlook and got some wonderful colors and pictures. It started drizzling so we drove the rest without stopping. We are staying in Woodstock. The owner of the motel we are staying recommended we drive the 118 late afternoon and we jumped in the car and did. Light was perfect and no rain.

Not sure what we are up to tomorrow but may drive Franconia Notch? Any other suggestions are welcome. I looked at all the options mentioned near Concord. The pop up lunch and farms sound great but was hoping to stay more local to Woodstock. Did lots of farms in ME.

We are not hikers but love to take photos. Wed we head to Killington VT. I did google maps which gives options of 91S or 4W. Anyone know which would be prettier? Thank you.

Last edited by snorkel3; Oct 10th, 2023 at 05:34 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 02:37 AM

The Flume visitors center is interesting. Hiking the Flume is interesting but you said you aren't hikers. If you take the route from woodstock to Franconia via I93 you are very close to Meredith NH which is a pretty town on Lake Winnepausaukee. Hart's turkey farm is a long time popular restaurant with a varied menu. Meredith is exit 23 I93. There's a League of NH Crafts store near the lake. If you drove down to Weirs Beach you could take a cruise on the Ss Mt Washington. There are other boat rides but that one is iconic.
Hermit Winery in Meredith has tastings and features local. We haven't been to the Sandwich Creamery in years and I don't know if the still sell half pints on the honor system at their farm. It looks like the North Sandwich store carries their ice cream. Unfortunately the Corner House restaurant doesn't open until 4pm. From Meredith you head east around the lake and head to Sandwich after going past Moultonboro. There are signs. Pretty little town you have to wonder how it got settled so early in time. You can drive the Sandwich Notch road but it's seasonal. There's a small waterfall which we found using the Delorme Atlas but google might help. It's not visible from road but only a short walk. Actually some of our best times in this area was volunteering on Sandwich Notch sled dog race in Februarys. This is area where sled dogs were trained for polar expeditions. We also did a barn tour one year. Basically, an interedting area but you have to do a little research. The temperature is low enough that you might get lucky to see some dogs training behind a wheeled gig but probably only on weekends.
yesterday was a stinker with rain and hail in Concord NH area late afternoon. Hope you have some good weather. Meredith has some small shops clustered in Mill falls Marketplace.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfrostnh
The Flume visitors center is interesting. Hiking the Flume is interesting but you said you aren't hikers. If you take the route from woodstock to Franconia via I93 you are very close to Meredith NH which is a pretty town on Lake Winnepausaukee. Hart's turkey farm is a long time popular restaurant with a varied menu. Meredith is exit 23 I93. There's a League of NH Crafts store near the lake. If you drove down to Weirs Beach you could take a cruise on the Ss Mt Washington. There are other boat rides but that one is iconic.
Hermit Winery in Meredith has tastings and features local. We haven't been to the Sandwich Creamery in years and I don't know if the still sell half pints on the honor system at their farm. It looks like the North Sandwich store carries their ice cream. Unfortunately the Corner House restaurant doesn't open until 4pm. From Meredith you head east around the lake and head to Sandwich after going past Moultonboro. There are signs. Pretty little town you have to wonder how it got settled so early in time. You can drive the Sandwich Notch road but it's seasonal. There's a small waterfall which we found using the Delorme Atlas but google might help. It's not visible from road but only a short walk. Actually some of our best times in this area was volunteering on Sandwich Notch sled dog race in Februarys. This is area where sled dogs were trained for polar expeditions. We also did a barn tour one year. Basically, an interedting area but you have to do a little research. The temperature is low enough that you might get lucky to see some dogs training behind a wheeled gig but probably only on weekends.
yesterday was a stinker with rain and hail in Concord NH area late afternoon. Hope you have some good weather. Meredith has some small shops clustered in Mill falls Marketplace.
Thank you so much! We woke to drizzle but the sun seems to be trying to come out. Looks like we'll be having turkey for lunch!

Last edited by snorkel3; Oct 11th, 2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 01:31 AM

Hope you had a nice lunch and enjoyed Meredith. The afternoon was sunny after all so maybe some colors glowed. Last night for only third time in my life I saw moose in NH. It was dusky and suddenly I saw a big shaoe in the road and yelled. My husband slowed and a second, smaller moose was still waiting to cross the road. The car behind us had to stop while it made up it's mind. Which reminds me that Sandwich/Tamworth area was where we were most likely to see a bear during the day.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 05:38 AM

This is the VT tourism department's latest foliage report
https://www.vermontvacation.com/fall...cid=962bbbc485