Fairmont Orchid on Big Island: Negatives??

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairmont Orchid on Big Island: Negatives??

The posters here seem to love it, but on Trip Advisor, many mentioned "unrenovated" rooms that looked run down and noisy construction outside one of the two towers.

Can anyone report on this?

Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM

We've stayed at the Orchid several times and have never run into "unrenovated" rooms, although we have on occasion run into service that ranged from indifferent to just plain bad.

I can tell from the grammar that at least two of these negative reviews were written by the same person -- obviously someone with a very large chip on their shoulder toward the Orchid, or maybe by a shill (someone who posts fake negative reviews about a property).

When evaluating any property you'll likely run into a few horror stories, but you should consider these in context. The majority of people have posted glowing reviews about the Orchid.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

fdecarlo, thanks for the reply. I do agree about some reviewers and agendas they may have.

Any other thoughts on the Orchid? We may stay there in March. Usually stay at the Mauna Lani, but may try something different this time.

Any of the two towers better than the other? Specifically construction noise that may be more bothersome?

We'll probably be taking a "garden view" room. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:16 AM

Last time we stayed at the Orchid (in 2003) we didn't see any construction near the resort, or at least we didn't hear any noise associated with it, so I can't be of much help. Hopefully someone else who's been there more recently will chime in with an answer. However, since construction is usually an ongoing (and movable) process, it's really best to call them, tell them when you're coming and ask where planned construction (if any) will be going on during that time.

One thing to keep in mind about the Orchid is its design. Both towers are built perpendicular to the coastline, so all but the end rooms (which are called Executive Suites) have a side view of the ocean. If you're used to the Mauna Lani, where many/most rooms have a head-on ocean view, the Orchid may be disappointing in this regard. But the good news is, almost all "Garden View" rooms have at least a partial ocean view, and most have an excellent one at that.

As far as location I'd recommend interior facing rooms over exterior, as exterior rooms are immediately adjacent to golf courses.... which sounds good on paper, but both times we stayed in an exterior facing room we were awakened every morning by the sound of maintenance equipment on the golf courses. Mowers, blowers etc. Not exactly what one wants to hear at 8 or 8:30AM while on vacation.

The grounds at the Orchid are very elegant and structured, e.g. symmetrical plantings etc. It has a different feel than the Mauna Lani, which is more sprawling (and in our opinion, has more of a traditional Hawaiian vibe than the Orchid).

As far as the rooms go, they are wonderfully furnished, and bathrooms are HUGE -- they take up almost half the living space in each unit.. Light gray marble everywhere, separate tub and shower enclosures, double sinks, Aveda products etc. Just fantastic.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fde. I really appreciate the information.

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM

I am staying at the orchid in feb/march- yes there is construction nearby, but I just called the hotel direct & asked to be put in the tower opposite the construction. It was no problem for them.
Also, if you arrive & you receive an unrenovated room or one you dont like you can always ask the desk nicely to be switched. Unless the hotel is completely booked I am sure they would try to accomodate.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Shabby, thanks.

I also just called them. They told me that the construction was done, so it's interesting that they moved you anyway. Maybe it's still being done, but far off where it isn't a problem?

They also told me that their rooms are being renovated. Some are done, others are not, but apparently, their is no indication at reservations as to which ones are finished. So as you say, we'll just have to check out the room given.

What room catagory did you get?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

That is strange- I am glad the construction is over, but I have no idea why they said they would move me then. This was just last week that I called. Anyway, hopefully we both get beautiful new renovated rooms!

I think I am in the garden view room, but I really don't remember.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Yes, let's hope!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Shabby, I'm curious, but what tower did they put you in?

I'm guessing it was the North. From what I can tell, the contruction is/was nearer to the South tower.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I think I am now in the north tower.
As long as there is no longer construction I guess wherever I end up is ok!