Reload this Page >

Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Deb

My husband and I will be staying at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans soon. Since we won't have a car, is there much to do or see within reasonable walking distance? Also, I am not familiar with this hotel--is it nice and in a good neighborhood?

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:52 AM
gail

Make sure to do a search for this one as there have been numerous posts about it. We stayed there this year and it was o.k., but it would not be my choice if we returned. It is a couple blocks from the FQ. Walking there is not a problem. It is quite aways from the waterfront though.My husband likes to walk so we did not take a taxi.They are available and I think when we did have the rental car it was a hassle due to parking.Rooms were old style (of course) and a bit worn, but the place is comfortable.We went at Christmas so the added pull was the decorated lobby. I am not sure how it would seem without all the decorations. The bar is something not to miss though.Have a Sazerac at the Sazerac.Hope you have fun!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Julie

It is in a good convenient location. I have only been in the lobby and restaurants. The lobby is very pretty; it is old and not too big. The restaurants have good food. They are all a little expensive but worth the money. It is in walking distance to many things including the streetcar. If you have problems walking it won't cost very much to take a cab to local attractions.
It is one block from the French Quarter.

I think you made a good choice.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 07:10 AM
sheila

Deb, I too have stayed at the Fairmont in New Orleans a couple of times. Yes it is old, historic, but we liked it. You can walk form the hotel, to the French Quarter,and the riverfront. There are many stores along Canal Street. The only time we had a problem with a cab, a group of us ladies were walking and one of the ladies began to feel ill. She wanted to go back to the Hotel. We stopped at the Westin Hotel to get her a cab, and the driver would not take the fare because it was not a far trip back to the Fairmont. We went to each cab asking if they would take the fare, and we did find one who would take her back.

The area is a very busy area. People on the streets at all hours. Like any city, use common sense.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 07:20 AM
John

Re: previous post about cabs. Just keep in mind that it is illegal for New Orleans cabbies to refuse a fare within city limits. Even if it's two blocks, they have to take you!

The Fairmont is a nice older property but I don't recommend it overall. I've had numerous problems with the staff when I've stayed there and the parking situation is one of the worst anywhere. Granted, Deb won't have a car but I thought I'd throw it in! Rooms vary a lot, too, so ask for larger one!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:07 PM
Dave

Deb, I've only stayed at the Fairmont once but I wouldn't recommend it either. I think the operative word is "old."