Reload this Page >

Need advice on Zion and Bryce in early October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Paul

We are planning a week fly -drive to Zion/Bryce/North Rim of G.C in early October.
We need advice on whether this is a good time to visit. What will the weather be like?
How crowded will the parks be?
How many nights should we spend in each area?
We'll probably start and finish the trip with a night in Las Vegas as well.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Paul Rabe

The weather could be bad. The facilities on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon close in mid-October, presumably due to weather concerns. Thus, in early October, that area may be seeing the start of cold wintry weather. On the plus side, you'll probably see very few people compared to the summer crush.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:43 AM
herself

Paul,
Did the same trip a few years ago. October weather was the best. Cool enough to hike and take long walks. Warm enough to enjoy. We also started and ended our trip in Vagas. Cheap flight, cheapest rental car. Saw Hoover Dam, then to on to Zion. We stayed two nights in each park. It was a great trip. Very relaxing. Have fun.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:31 AM
G. Kremer

The wife & I traveled that area in mid to late Sept. It was fine. Weather was very comfortable; no threat of snow, cold temperatures, or road closings. Maybe back your plans up a few weeks & you'll be okay.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Kim

Paul:

We just did almost that same trip the first week of October '00. Flew into Vegas, Drove to Bryce and back to Zion.The weather was spectacular. No people, peaceful.....how much time you want to spend depends on how much you want to see. We didn't allow enough time in Zion, it was incredible. Why don't you e-mail me and I can tell you about it and where we stayed. You will love it.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Jill

I was in Bryce-Zion-Vegas the first week of last October. Bryce didn't seem very crowded - although Ruby's restaurant was. Not many choices where to stay near Bryce. Zion was very busy - much more so than Bryce. It was warm in Zion (around 90) and thunderstorms at both Bryce and Zion. If you're planning on staying in the lodges - call Amfac if you can't get the dates you want via the web site. I'm staying at Zion & Grand Canyon north rim in late May but I couldn't get anything for Zion over the web. I called Amfac and the woman said they always have more rooms available via the phone than internet.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Jill

Forgot the following in my previous message. I've been doing alot of research on north rim since I'm going there in May. Although the lodge closes in early the road stay open until snowfall which may be December. I've found a talk line like Fodor's for the parks: www.us-national-parks.net/chat.html
You can then select various national parks.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Tbone

We did this trip in Sept-Oct. 1999.The weather was excellent. Stayed two nights at Bryce, three nights at Zion and one night at the North rim. Sept. 29 to Oct.4. 90 degrees in Zion. Much cooler at Bryce and the North rim but comfortable. Bryce is quite a small park. You could see it in a full day. At least two days for Zion and one day at the Grand Canyon. Not much to do at the latter, unless you hike down. Take your bug repellent to the North Rim. Deer flies were really bad.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Paul

Thank you all for the information.It has helped us a lot. One last question with regard to lodges/hotels.
What are the lodges in the parks like? Should we try them first or are we better off elsewhere?

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:29 AM
Tbone

You better call AMFAC if you want to stay in the parks. they also have a web-site. They usually have cancellations a week or two before the dates. This is because they don't charge a fee for cancellations and people book them for many dates well in advance and then start to cancel just prior to the when they want to visit.
We stayed at Fosters near Bryce. Not very fancy but adequate. We stayed at the Bumbleberry Inn in the Springdale close to the entrance of Zion. Nicer hotel.Swimming pool to cool off in.
Tried to get a reservation at the lodge. No luck. Nice place though.
Stayed in the Western cabins at the North Rim. Very basic. I would suggest booking here because there aren't any other accomadations near here. Not that I recall anyway!