Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fairbanks, Alaska in December 2023. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I’m visiting Fairbanks Nov 28-Dec 6th (excluding travel days) with 2 kids (1 & 4) and 2 active seniors.

We plan to check out the Chena Hot Springs, Santa’s house, Antler Academy, Pioneer Park, LARS, Museum of the North & dog mushing. Also considering a flight tour over Denali. Anything else going on that time of year?

Might book a northern lights tour for 1 night but can’t imagine going aurora chasing every night with the kiddos.

Struggling with these questions -
  • I understand that on a night with clear skies the lights are visible across Fairbanks but what is your best recommendation for hotels or neighborhoods with less light pollution/ open skies/ better vantage point or any other factor I’m missing so we can maximize our chances of seeing them from the accommodation. Just incase we’re not lucky the night of the tour. (Side note - I have a link to the forecast bookmarked)
  • Hearing mixed reviews about national car rental companies as well as Turo wrt winter tires. Is there a reliable local company at the airport?
  • Is there someplace I can rent car seats? Can’t bring ours and I only know of Enterprise car rental providing the option.
  • Is Antler Academy good enough for a reindeer photo op for the kids or should we visit a reindeer ranch instead?
  • How far in advance should I book tours?
  • Is 9 days in Fairbanks overkill - should we include another city? I figured between the cold, limited daylight hours and kids, we’d only accomplish 1-2 things a day.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's!

Okay, I'm going to be blunt, having raised a little kid in Alaska (years ago, but still vivid in my mind.)

I'm really hoping that you've picked Fairbanks because you have family there or some other reason than winter tourism to go at that time of year. IF YOU DON'T, and if you could change or cancel things without crushing financial penalties, I'd drop the whole idea. Really.

It sounds like you've done your homework, and that's a good thing, regarding activities, logistics, etc., so if the trip IS to see family or for some other non-negotiable purpose, then fine, go for it, but you're going to have to make some decisions in "real time." It will be cold, but just HOW cold is anybody's guess. I've been in Fairbanks in early December when it was barely below freezing, and I've also been there in early December when it was 20 below. (I've also been there when it was 50 below, but IIRC that was in February.)

For example, "ice fog" is a common occurrence when it's very cold AND when the atmospheric humidity is high-ish. This freezing fog obscures everything (northern lights, street lights, car lights) and has the nasty side effect of suspending auto exhaust and exhaust from people with oil heat within the fog. At times during the winter Fairbanks has air pollution that would compete with Jakarta.

Some of your activities will be off the table. Flightseeing excursions won't allow infants or toddlers in the planes, for example. You'll need car seats, and if the rental companies won't rent them to you you'll have to buy them. You'll also need winter clothes for the kids (and of course yourselves.) I've come across this place; no idea if it would work for you but worth a phone call - Buy & Sell Kids' Clothing, Shoes, Toys, Furniture, and Baby Gear | Once Upon A Child Fairbanks .

I know this sounds awfully negative and I'm sorry for such a crummy first response. If you DO come, I wish you the best possible time. But I'll say, just for the record, that the northern lights are visible all over the world, and I wouldn't expect that the kids will remember much at those ages. If this trip was postponed, I don't think anyone would say they're worse off for it.

We don't know where you're from, how much budget will be a factor, or much of anything, really, so pretty much throwing darts in the dark, but if time and budget is flexible, google "Rovaniemi, Finland with kids" and see what you think. Just an idea.

All the best and happy travels!
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 07:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Oh - I am soooooo glad Gardyloo responded. He's sort of our forum 'Alaska whisperer' having such a lot of knowledge re the state. I was going to post something yesterday . . . but only having been to Fairbanks once and that was in summer, I am certainly no sort of expert. But the whole plan seemed ill advised - even a little foolhardy to me - not meaning to be harsh. I have several relatives living in/near Anchorage, a couple in Fairbanks and one in a very rural area and I can't imagine any of them recommending I visit them in Winter. When my cousin had toddlers/young children she came down here to visit for 6 weeks every winter to get away from Fairbanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hoo boy!

Thank you both for your responses! Your bluntness is extremely helpful and much appreciated!

Thankfully we only have flights booked (fully refundable!) so I’m going to cancel and rethink the whole trip.

Have a great week!
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Alaska is a unbelievably fabulous place to visit -- just not in deepest winter unless you are adventure/extreme travelers . . .

Plan a future visit for a different time of year

(we're usually not quite so 'blunt' --- unless the question warrants it. Well -- Gardyloo tends to be extremely diplomatic - me - not so much )
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Even if you could handle the cold the less than five hours of daylight for nine days would be more than I could tolerate.