Santa Fe to Southern Colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I am looking for help on our trip we are going to Santa Fe for 3 days then want to drive into Colorado we have approx 3-4 days to spend in Colorado then back to Albuquerque. Would like to see Great Sands & maybe a hot spring along the way. I am figuring we would do a loop but really am unsure of timing - We have never been to Colorado so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 12:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You might want to do something like this in reverse:

Eating our way through Northern New Mexico

Santa Fe to Buena Vista takes just over four hours and takes you right by Great Sand Dunes and Salida - you'll find Princeton Hot Springs in Nathrop between Salida and Buena Vista. You'll also find Cottonwood Hot Springs near BV, but it's not a place I'd personally recommend.

Here are a few other hot springs options in the area:

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/hot-...sand-dunes-co/

Buena Vista is a pretty little town with mountain views, hiking and some suprisingly good restaurants - makes a good base for a few days.

From BV you could backtrack to Salida (25 miles) and then take 50 to Canon City, then join I-25 south and work your way back to Santa Fe, making a loop of about 634 miles.

If you take this route, you might want to make the detour to Bishop Castle for a slice of Colorado weirdness.

https://www.bishopcastle.org/

Or you could backtrack the way you came, making the total drive about 481 miles - I know which I'd choose - the quieter, prettier, calmer in and back route, avoiding I-25.

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 13th, 2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - I am going to go look at my map now. Old School - Love my maps !
I don't think I want to back track a little is ok ! I Did think Rt 50 looked like a smart choice
Thanks again
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Yes, the Collegiate Peaks region (with many mts. over 14,000') is a wonderful area. Salida is an old mining town with a fairly lively downtown. You can eat at open air restaurants right on the lovely Arkansas River. You can also rent bikes and ride on trails and around town. Hike through the whispering pines on the Colorado Trail (a map of trails is available at the National Forest visitor’s center east of Salida). Browns Creek Waterfall is a lovely waterfall southwest of Nathrop (ask at the visitor's center for directions and a map). A three hour roundtrip hike to the falls.

Old Aug 15th, 2023, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thaks so much for the help - looking forward to our trip - I had looked up the town of Salida last night looks like a stop we will be making.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 12:10 PM

If you are planning to spend the night at Great Sand Dunes there's only camping. There are limited lodging options outside the park. It's a magical place.