Fabulous eating in New Orleans

Old May 6th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabulous eating in New Orleans

We just left New Orleans after a fabulous 5-day JazzFest trip and boy, did we eat well! Just thought I’d comment the places we had dinner.

Before our friends arrived, we ate at the new Costera, which was delicious (and you could actually have a conversation). Spanish with New Orleans influence. We shared a bunch of small plates No misses among them.

First might - casual dinner before tickets at Snug Harbor. Dinner was at the “food court” at La Roch market. Really good with tons of choices. I had a “trio” of shrimp Etouffee, red beans and rice and something else. Delicious.

We were supposed to have dinner at Meril (we ate there last year and thought the food was fantastic. It was far too noisy - could barely hear the person right next to you). We had to cancel due to a change in schedule.

Day 2 - Johnny Sanchez. Upscale Mexican. Unique foods and very good. We had a salad, street corn, various tacos (carne Assad, albondigas, cauliflower), guacamole, ceviche, tortilla soup — all very good. Mostly shared plates.

Day 3 - Gianna. Brand new Donald Link group restaurant. Excellent and crowded. We shared pastas (homemade of course). I had the port shoulder and it was very tender -too much food- others had veal saltimbocca, braised chicken, and shrimpand declared them all delicious.

Day 4 - Maypop. Everything was great, but I want to call out two things in particular. The Bibb lettuce salad was great (it seems weird to be calling out a Bibb lettuce salad, but it was that good, and the squid ink ravioli which is “to die for”.

Day 5 - Saba. Wow! I had wanted to eat at Shaya in the past but never got there. Went to Saba last night and it is amazing. We shared all the dishes - 5 small “salads” (asparagus, eggplant and tomatoes, beets, feta and pickled vegetables), hummus with roasted Brussels sprouts, charred eggplant, lamb kebabs, whole roasted chicken, short ribs with crunchy chick peas, crispy potatoes and couscous. The bread is amazing. No room for dessert! Each dish was more mouth-watering than the one before.

Seriously, all worth a return visit. Can’t wait to get back.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Sounds like some great eats! I hate restaurants so loud that you can’t think or converse easily.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love when all the dinners on a trip are hits!
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:06 PM

We were in New Orleans almost three weeks ago with friends. It was so much fun and I ate way too much. While every place we went was good, my favorite meal was at Pêche Seafood Grill, which is another restaurant in the Donald Link Group. The jumbo shrimp with sticky rice & coconut was delicious. I also can't wait to go back so thank you for all of your restaurant recommendations! Glad you had a great time!
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

wtm, funny thing is we had a reservation at Pêche and cancelled in favor of something else! Next time.
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:58 AM

We had a great meal at The Red Fish Grill. The food and service were both spot on.